Vagabond Returns (Spoilers).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
prawnstyle said:
how does this series compare to blade of the immortal...call it a point of reference...
Viz does a better job with Vagabond than Dark Horse does with Blade of the Immortal, thats how :badbone:

Seriously though, I've been reading Blade of the Immortal about as long as I've been reading Berserk and I really enjoy it. I'm aware that the localisation took liberties with it, what with switching it from the traditional right to left Japanese style. But manga in the United States wasn't as big back then, so it's forgivable. Another thing I dislike about Dark Horse is the abuse of the "F word". It seems every other sentence Manji spits out has a variable of "fuck " in there. Outside of the minor complaints, Blade of the Immortal is an entertaining manga, with excellent, rememberable characters. The plot ebbs and flows, but it remains good throughout. Samura's artist capabilities are something to stand back and appreciate. Kojima Gōseki, Miura, Inoue and Samura are just about the cream of the crop when it comes to swordplay manga, in my opinion. That's pretty noteworthy.

Yet, Vagabond has me hooked. It's probably because of the localisation and the speed in which it is being released (it has already passed Mugen no Jūnin in Japan and the West). Inoue has created a different, yet enticing take on Eiji Yoshikawa's Musashi. The art is almost without equal, save for us Miura loyalists, and the story is exceptional. I have read the book quite a few times and I find Vagabond just as, if not more, enthralling. The characters are great, even those who aren't the main focus will ingrain themselves on your memory, even if their names don't. The well-timed humour is another factor, but most the time the story is pretty serious. If I were to sum Vagabond up in one word it would be... Epic.

Highly recommended from this swordplay fan, and I'm sure the rest of the contributors of this thread will agree ;)

Uriel

Hmmm... I might be the only person who gives a rats, but this was featured in Volume 24.....

I'd really like to see this, but I doubt a torrent or a trip to Japan will be happening anytime soon. For those are also curious, go to the headache inducing website that previews it: FLOWER. There was also something about "DEAD OR ALIVE" and a date for February 2007, but I have no friggin' clue what that was about. Anyway, new chapter should be out this week. Enjoy!

Uriel

I found a couple of interesting articles, for those who are interested. This one looks at the artbooks, while this one has an interview with Inoue and mentions how he plans to end the manga.

pippin22 said:
Anyone check out those artbooks yet?

It was on my wishlist for Christmas, but alas, it was not among my gifts. The only places I can find it online are selling it for $40 a piece. At that kind of price, I could only afford one. It's at times like this I wished I still lived in NYC =P

Uriel

Just a reminder, chaps -- Volume 24 is out.. at least I think it is. The Viz site says Feb.20th, but Amazon has it in stock. Either way, be sure to grab it! Even better news is that Viz is going to be shipping Volume 25 out on March.15th.. by this point, they will be completely caught up, won't they?

Speaking of March, I'm finding it hard to deal with this wait... if it's not Miura keeping us waiting, it's Inoue. Bastards.... those wonderful, wonderful bastards...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oh wow, I thought it was coming out in March? Well color me surprised. I'll go to Borders tomorrow and pick up a copy. Awesome!

Update: Viz' website says Vol 24 is due February 20, and Vol 25 is due MAY 15, not March.

Uriel

Walter said:
In ... March, right?

Apparently, man. I gave Inoue's website a brief looksie about 5 minutes ago and there isn't anything there... but the place where I get scans said that March would be the next chapters date. I trust 'em. :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Apparently, man. I gave Inoue's website a brief looksie about 5 minutes ago and there isn't anything there... but the place where I get scans said that March would be the next chapters date. I trust 'em. :badbone:
You don't have to have an inside scoop to know when the next one's coming out. It says 3/22 at the end of chapter 224.

well, I just read Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa, and as much as I like Vagabond, the book is just incredible, clearly the superior piece of work.

Still inoue version is great, and diverges from the text which is great, because there is an element of unpredictability there. Amazingly though, Osugi is even more a bitch in the book, clearly his most bitter foe (without his acknowledgement though)

peace

Top Bottom