Episode 276

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
Is Ganishka is really that powerful and Zodd have been searching for the USO for at least 300 years, shouldnt they have meet even before Zodd encountered the Hawk of light?
I don't think there's much to be made of this issue. So, Zodd was wrong, there actually WAS someone who could stand up to him. Big deal? But if you insist...

Maybe Zodd just never headed south? Ganishka's been [presumedly] on a different continent for many years. Barring that, I don't even see how Zodd could have known that Ganishka was an Apostle (while there may be some innate way that Apostles are aware of their own kind, it hasn't been evident yet. The only instance I can think of is Locus' calling Ganishka an apostle, which he was probably told by Griffith...). Even if he did, he couldn't have known about Ganishka's fog form. So then, there'd be no indication that Ganishka would be more powerful than the average Apostle. Especially if Ganishka's been lying low, waiting for the right time to reveal his power and attack.

Seeing how Zodd was injuried by him, I guess Locus can't be anyway more resistant (Btw where the thread where we discuss these previous? maybe we could transfer to there?)
You're referring to this thread: (click). But I don't think there's much to discuss in there that Aaz hasn't already responded to.

smoke said:
I don't think so. Not yet, anyway.

I expect him to jump out of the water and resume fighting within the next ten minutes.
Well, Zodd fell from the sky and uncontrollably smashed into Guts on his way to swan diving into the ocean. I'd say he's down for the count, at least for now. But, certainly not dead... right guys? :judo:

S

smoke

Walter said:
Well, Zodd fell from the sky and uncontrollably smashed into Guts on his way to swan diving into the ocean.

And considering Zodd's character, would you really be surprised if, in spite of all that, he emerges from the water and lets out a hearty "WOOOO!"?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
smoke said:
And considering Zodd's character, would you really be surprised if, in spite of all that, he emerges from the water and lets out a hearty "WOOOO!"?
I wouldn't be suprised, but he's already played that card in this past episode. It's time he took a fall. I mean, give the guy a break, he just got GanishkA-bombed.

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
It looks like Guts was stupefied by a joint effort against Ganishka by the Apostles. I was reading some of the early books over and it reminded me of Guts' first taste of action in the Hawks and he said something about not being able to believe that he's in such an organized raid. I think in this latest release Guts might be feeling some nostalgia when he's watching the battle.

Wereallmad said:
That is assuming that the lightening is magic rather than an apostle ability.

Also, I know my grammer and spelling suck ass, so I should be the last person to go grammer nazi, but irregardless isn't a word. It's a combination of irrespective and regardless.

I don't care about grammar much either but agreed with you and looked it up in Webster's anyways and actually:

"Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead."

Anyways...

Zodd didn't look to me like he got knocked out but I only read through it once quickly on the train. Looks like Guts' boat is no longer an option either...these guys are never getting to Elfhelm :puck:

Eternal Struggler

Sad but true
I honestly don't think Zodd is out of the fight. In my opinion, he's too strong of a character to be defeated by the GanishkA-bomb. Well truth is that I think he's too much of a bad-ass to be defeated that way :carcus:. I'm sure Miura has something up his sleeve to follow up to this "defeat" to bring him up there again...(Probably some shots of Zodd killing some of Ganishka's troops in a good ol' Nosferatu Zodd way (i.e. slicing and biting throught them at the same time :guts:)). Anyways, to conclude my little 2 cents, I don't think Zodd is dead or out of the fight. His payback will be sweet I'm sure.... :zodd:

I was thinking of maybe a **temporary** team-up between Guts and Zodd to maybe help the squad evacuate to safety or to either stop or **defeat** the fog form of Ganishka? Any thoughts on that?

A

avidwriter

It is just me or is Guts taking that hole in his chest pretty well. I mean as far as I've seen its still gaping and bleeding?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
It is just me or is Guts taking that hole in his chest pretty well. I mean as far as I've seen its still gaping and bleeding?
Well, I'm sure he's still seriously injured, it's just not a large focus right now. Even if the armor can repair itself, it does nothing for Guts' condition. I personally think shots of Guts have been obscured recently so we can't get a good look at it. It'll come back, but probably not until the Band can all sit down for once.

A

avidwriter

True enough, but I don't think (although I havnt read a few manga's here and there), that Guts ever had a hole in his chest like that. Plus getting his by lighting. I know he's tough and he's been through rought stuff but bleeding out as much as he probably is. I just found it odd you dont see more about it.

Walter said:
Well, I'm sure he's still seriously injured, it's just not a large focus right now.  Even if the armor can repair itself, it does nothing for Guts' condition.  I personally think shots of Guts have been obscured recently so we can't get a good look at it.  It'll come back, but probably not until the Band can all sit down for once.

Walter said:
Well, I'm sure he's still seriously injured, it's just not a large focus right now.  Even if the armor can repair itself, it does nothing for Guts' condition.  I personally think shots of Guts have been obscured recently so we can't get a good look at it.  It'll come back, but probably not until the Band can all sit down for once.

When he turned in fire with Shierke, his wounds must have burned too, not making them better, but maybe that stopped the bleeding.. a unwanted cauterization (don´t know if the word is right in English)

Ahhh its so great to read 4 episodes simultaneously.

Anyway it seems to me that Zodd did not really have a plan how to attack Ganishka. Just trying to pierce the Electric body and getting zapped/burned.

Here are my two bits of speculation (and I apologize if this has been already said).

1) I think that Zodd is buying sometime but for what is up for speculation. It could be that he is trying to hold Ganishka back before the 'Hawk of Light' comes. ( but If this is the case, then why could Griffith not bring his lazy butt to the battlefield earlier) 

2) This is just a way Miura is going to have Guts help Zodd. May be to be paid back at some later (critical) part of the manga when Guts is slaying :-X Griffith (in episode 499). After all it seems like Guts' sword seems to absorb/redirect all the charge since its metallic (ooooh sciencey stuff). :???:

By the way why are the Hawks so keen on confrontation at this point in a (now) rundown city. I mean why not just let it fall to Ganishka? or is it all just fate that Ganishka attacks the city that HAPPENS to be where Guts and co. HAPPEN to be leaving from to meet Hanafubuku and where the Hawks HAPPEN to encounter Ganishka.

Aaz thanks for the previous and current episodes... I appreciate it.

By the way why are the Hawks so keen on confrontation at this point in a (now) rundown city. I mean why not just let it fall to Ganishka?
IMHO the reason for this confrontation lies in the fact that the Holy See alliance is forming here. It provides a perfect opportunity for Griffith to announce himself as the saviour from everyone's dream. This is the reason why he needs the Pontiff, to interpret the prophecy so to speak. I am curious about one thing: I kinda thought that the Holy See troops would put up more of a fight (though they are facing a really tough enemy). I can see Griffith's, eventual, arrival rallying them into a last stand sort of thing, which would further "cement" him in his apparent role.

I guess I'm the only one hoping that from this point on, Berserk becomes a buddy comedy starring Guts and Zodd as the ultimate odd couple. Somehow, they are accidentally handcuffed together while underwater and have to go through crazy situations in their effort to be liberated. Eventually, they'll develop a mutual respect and friendship and decide to hell with Griffith, and start a new, peaceful life in a rural town where they'll run a general store together.

That was honestly the first thing I thought when Zodd crashed into Guts.

I guess maybe when Griffith takes over the world and his goons start oppressing the townsfolk, Zodd and Guts will stand up and say, "Hey, not in our town."

But whatever else happens will be good, too.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Triple Life said:
I guess I'm the only one hoping that from this point on, Berserk becomes a buddy comedy starring Guts and Zodd as the ultimate odd couple. Somehow, they are accidentally handcuffed together while underwater and have to go through crazy situations in their effort to be liberated. Eventually, they'll develop a mutual respect and friendship and decide to hell with Griffith, and start a new, peaceful life in a rural town where they'll run a general store together.

I guess maybe when Griffith takes over the world and his goons start oppressing the townsfolk, Zodd and Guts will stand up and say, "Hey, not in our town."

Was thinking more of a wedding crashers type scenerio..

:zodd: : Some people say we only use 10% of our mind... I think we only use 10% of our heart! :carcus:

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
Triple Life said:

That'd definitely a funny idea, although I'd watch out what you say since I'm sure ABC, CBS, and NBC are out looking for new sitcoms.  Now why did I just think of a Berserk version of Three's Company?

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Was thinking more of a wedding crashers type scenerio..

:zodd: : Some people say we only use 10% of our mind... I think we only use 10% of our heart! :carcus:

Now all we need is a Berserk TV and Movie Spoofs thread; just imagine the possibilities:  Berserk Reality Shows, Berserk Sitcoms, Berserk Commercials, etc.  I can just imagine something stupid like 'The Real World: Berserk' or Wyald doing a Trojan commercial.  :p

Anyways, thanks for keeping us all updated Aaz.

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry
Maybe the purpose of the attack on Ganishka _was_ to protect Guts and Co. (For whatever nefarious purpose.) If someone already mentioned this, sorry.

As for Skull-knight getting involved... has he ever protected Guts and Co. outside of an opportunity to attack the apostles/god-hand? He might not be particularly interested in helping them with Ganishka.

Nice development with Seripico. :D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
QUeeN typhonblue said:
Maybe the purpose of the attack on Ganishka _was_ to protect Guts and Co. (For whatever nefarious purpose.) If someone already mentioned this, sorry.
Even though Griffith and Ganishka are at open war? Sounds pretty unlikely...

I really, really do not want guts and zodd to team up...and it wont happen, zodd is now griffths...his most hated enemy...on the other hand he seems less disgusted by Ganishka....an alliance there might be more probable...

The idea that Griffth might apear to drive Ganishka back and appear as savious certainly has some merit...and would really up the tempo of the story and the scale of his influence...cant wait anyway

peace

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry
Walter said:
Even though Griffith and Ganishka are at open war? Sounds pretty unlikely...

I once read Muira said, around the end of the Golden Years or the beginning of Millenium Hawk, that the relationship between Guts and Griffith was only beginning. Which suggests there will be more growth and change between them.

Now either I'm making something up entirely, which is possible, or I'm remembering correctly. Which begs the question, what will Guts do, or Griffith, to change the nature of their relationship?

Muira has never let a relationship stagnate. All of the interconnections between his characters are evolving and changing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
QUeeN typhonblue said:
I once read Miura said, around the end of the Golden Years or the beginning of Millenium Hawk, that the relationship between Guts and Griffith was only beginning. Which suggests there will be more growth and change between them.

Now either I'm making something up entirely, which is possible, or I'm remembering correctly.
You mean, between the Wonder Years and Golden Girls? OHHH! You mean the Golden AGE and Millennium FALCON! And you're actually conflating two rumored quotes from Miura circa ~2001. Neither are directly applicable to the current situation. They were broad statements about the Millennium Falcon arc and the rest of the series at large. I'd like to stress that neither of these were ever confirmed and the first even sounds kind of wacky considering the arc currently... but anyway, here's a paraphrase: The new arc will focus on Griffith as a group and Guts as an individual, and the other... that with Millennium Falcon, now the story could truly begin.

Miura has never let a relationship stagnate. All of the interconnections between his characters are evolving and changing.
I agree, but who said anything about it stagnating? Or are you inferring that it currently is? :miura:

Top Bottom