Any hardcore Evangelions fans here???

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well Evangelion is my fav anime, with Berserk coming in with a close second, but I was wondering if anybody here is a big fan of eva, Im about to get the newly announced ultimate hardcore fans dream box set thats going to cost like $250 but its only going to cost $166 at Deep Discount, so thats where im getting it anyways I also have the platinum collection and I have most of the art books because Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is the shit, I also have the soundtracks, but I was also wondering if anybody here is a big time eva fan???

P.S. I rank the Berserk manga, on the same level of awsomeness as the Eva anime so I like them the same, so dont hate me please.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I was really into Evangelion when I was in high school. (Angst!) I kind of fell out of it but I continue to be a fan and sometimes rewatch some episodes.
My buddy is still really into it and is playing the Evangelion PSP game even though he doesn't understand a lick of Japanese. And about that new boxset, was that the one that came out in Japan a few years ago? The red one, the one that we should have got instead of the Platinum Collection? Thanks for the tip, thats a great price!
I really love the soundtracks and I enjoy the manga so I say I am a pretty big Evangelion fan. Asuka is my favorite because she is the Uber-Bitch.
Hitokiri said:
P.S. I rank the Berserk manga, on the same level of awsomeness as the Eva anime so I like them the same, so dont hate me please.
No dice, I hate you.  :zodd:

I am a hardcore Evangelion fan. I have seen the series 8 times and have seen End of Evangelion so many time i lost count. I had to do a lot of research to actually under stand the ending. Finally after a few months I finals understand it. If you have any questions about it ask me.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I understand the ending to it, actually Ive understood its since like the fourth time I watched it which was 3 years ago, anyways yeah the show is real deep.

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
Might wanna be careful re: the upcoming boxset. First off, it's not the SEELE monolith they got in Japan, just a black box (a "satin cover" box, though I'm not sure what that means exactly) with really dodgy art choices (not that the art's bad...just random and ill-fitting): http://www.aaaanime.com/dvds.asp?view=item&code=DNGEBX3
Second, the extras consist of: Angelic Days #1 (a vaguely related doujin, set in the ideal world Shinji envisions at the end of the anime), the Notenki Memoirs book by a guy who had little to do with the actual cration of Eva (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1413902340/102-7753527-3081720), some special 10th anniversary screensaver for pc, stickers, and a jacket. The disks themselves will be identical to the 7-disk Platinum release. So...yeah, basically a random mash-up of extras; though hey, any one of them might sound appealing to you. Just so you know :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe people are still into Evangelion. I could sort of understand the phenomenon back then, but it's old now, and Eva's really pretty limited in all respects. Including its laughable pseudo-depth.

Hitokiri said:

You dare put Neon Genesis Evangelion on Berserk's level? I have only contempt for you.

NGE is about the only anime with mech's that I actually liked, so yea I loved it :).

Though I was not expecting "That" kind of an ending to the series (not the movies made afterwards).

I got the original dvd boxset (with the red leaf, etc on the case).

I am NGE fan, confused the hell out of me at first but Ive pretty much figured out what was going on, though I can see why people hated it with the ending the series originally got, though that wasnt entirely the teams fault as thigns started falling apart for them towards the end of the show's development.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
mahlernut said:
Might wanna be careful re: the upcoming boxset.  First off, it's not the SEELE monolith they got in Japan, just a black box (a "satin cover" box, though I'm not sure what that means exactly) with really dodgy art choices (not that the art's bad...just random and ill-fitting): http://www.aaaanime.com/dvds.asp?view=item&code=DNGEBX3
Second, the extras consist of: Angelic Days #1 (a vaguely related doujin, set in the ideal world Shinji envisions at the end of the anime), the Notenki Memoirs book by a guy who had little to do with the actual cration of Eva (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1413902340/102-7753527-3081720), some special 10th anniversary screensaver for pc, stickers, and a jacket.  The disks themselves will be identical to the 7-disk Platinum release.  So...yeah, basically a random mash-up of extras; though hey, any one of them might sound appealing to you.  Just so you know  :guts:
Well the only thing confirmed in the box set is the jacket mail in offer and the bumper sticker, and Angelic Days, other than that everything is speculation. Every thing else is just rumors...

Aazealh said:
I can't believe people are still into Evangelion. I could sort of understand the phenomenon back then, but it's old now, and Eva's really pretty limited in all respects. Including its laughable pseudo-depth.

You dare put Neon Genesis Evangelion on Berserk's level? I have only contempt for you.
its, laughable pseudo-depth.....Its got more character depth than any other anime I know of and the reason why its still popular is because its that damn good, and who cares if its old, Akira is old but it is still a amazing film. So there nothing wrong with age in a anime

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hitokiri said:
Its got more character depth than any other anime I know of

Well, you're not exactly a criteria of quality buddy, sorry to tell you.

Hitokiri said:
the reason why its still popular is because its that damn good

The reason people like you that were 10 years old when this series was created make threads about it nowadays to brag about how they got it after viewing it 5 times is because they suck.

:troll:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I don't consider myself the smartest person but I think I understood Eva just fine. There really wasn't an "a-ha!" moment for me and its meaning was far from profound. In fact, I found its attempts at real depth bordering on arrogance.

If you're comparing it to other animes, well then of course its got a bit more plot than others (pokemon, dbz, etc). Thats hardly worthy of any notoriety

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
There really wasn't an "a-ha!" moment for me and its meaning was far from profound. In fact, I found its attempts at real depth bordering on arrogance.

No way man, it took my 12yo cousin 14 viewings to get the ending in between masturbation sessions on Asuka/Rei fan fiction! It's real deep, I heard they're basing modern psychology classes on it nowadays. You just don't understand it sucker!!! Although it's still not as deep as Kimagure Orange Road and Fruits Basket IMO, which are my favorite anime shows just so you know. (ノ´∀`*)ノ~~~~

CnC said:
If you're comparing it to other animes, well then of course its got a bit more plot than others (pokemon, dbz, etc). Thats hardly worthy of any notoriety

Did anybody here get the ending of キャンディ・キャンディ?? I think it's subject to different interpretations and would like to discuss it.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Aazealh said:
Well, you're not exactly a criteria of quality buddy, sorry to tell you.

The reason people like you that were 10 years old when this series was created make threads about it nowadays to brag about how they got it after viewing it 5 times is because they suck.

:troll:

Well actually if you go to boards of fan sites they usually discuss theories about the show and how this and that can be interpreted differently. Or how the show effected them on a emotional level.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hitokiri said:
Well actually if you go to boards of fan sites they usually discuss theories about the show and how this and that can be interpreted differently. Or how the show effected them on a emotional level.
Whoa, if I go to an EVA FAN SITE, I'll find people that were emotionally EFFECTED by it? :isidro: You could say the same of any fanbase, including Xbox forums, full of people who were emotionally EFFECTED by a console. It doesn't give any more credibility to the franchise.

As for theories and interpretations... I think Rei's vagina is the Garden of Eden (everyone on the planet turned into her vaginal fluid on their way to heaven), Gendo is Jesus (it's why he always wears gloves, so you cant see the holes in his hands), and that Shinji and Asuka ended up on Mars together at the end of the movie (the explosion from Third Impact threw lots of water into space, all the way to Mars. They were both transported there through the water).

But hey, that's just my theory and interpretation! I'm glad the series is constructed in a way that allows me to harbor my DEEP ideas!

S

smoke

I'm going to say that I agree with the general consensus here; Eva is okay, but way overrated.

I wonder, do those who dont like the show, not like it because of all those that adore it so and state its the best ever, or because you simply didnt like the show for what it was?

I admit its overrated but I generally enjoyed the show and I do get it, its not really that difficult if you watch the movies as really its just the fact they ran out of time that screwed everything up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I wonder, do those who dont like the show, not like it because of all those that adore it so and state its the best ever, or because you simply didnt like the show for what it was?

I admit its overrated but I generally enjoyed the show and I do get it, its not really that difficult if you watch the movies as really its just the fact they ran out of time that screwed everything up.
I first saw Evangelion through fansubs around early '97. It hadn't even fully taken off yet here in the USA, ADV would launch it later that year. Being at the perfect age for the show's targeted demographic (15), I thought IT WAS AWE-SUM D00D! Big robots AND hardcore angst with some psuedo-intellectual diatribe between fights? Sign me up!

But, it's one of those shows that shows its age once you grow up. Sort of like looking back on those G.I.Joe cartoons you loved when you were a kid. When I was younger, I too thought Eva was DEEP, but as I grew older, I realized that it was just a huge, empty, dried-up well. I now look back on my adoration of it with complete embarassment.

Seriously, Hitokiri... better than Berserk? I have a feeling you'll regret those words one day. :miura:

If you like Evangelion you will like RahXephon. It is very similar to Evangelion, just without the bible stuff. Still has living robots and the main character is a lot like Shinji, he also screams like him too. :isidro:I suggest you check it out if you haven't already.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
I admit its overrated but I generally enjoyed the show

Well I think it's a pretty decent show, just not the best thing ever made. To me CnC nailed it in his post, and I find that the series not only is overrated but also takes itself too seriously.

And concerning the ending, I haven't been keeping up with Eva news but as far as I know there's no proof of that "no budget/time" thing. It could as well have been Anno's plan from the beginning.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:
Well I think it's a pretty decent show, just not the best thing ever made. To me CnC nailed it in his post, and I find that the series not only is overrated but also takes itself too seriously.

And concerning the ending, I haven't been keeping up with Eva news but as far as I know there's no proof of that "no budget/time" thing. It could as well have been Anno's plan from the beginning.

Well, the ending of the tv-show was, in the eyes of Anno, perfect. It's just that most of the fanbase didn't want to accept that fact and they hoped that there was more to it than the endind conveyed. The tv-show, as it is, pretty much sums up Annos frustrations,angst and hopes he had at that time, packed into a fancy but not THAT original kids and mecha setting. He said so during almost any reliable interview in japanese media.
Now, it's quite save to assume that he was majorly pissed after hearing all that rabid fantalk, so he went on and made the two motion pictures. It's just that, in essence, they were nothing more than a huge slap in the face of every fanboy/girl out there. You want a "real" ending? Then let it end with a huge entry-plug up on each persons butts..or wherever it hurts most, that is.

All in all EVA is quite watchable, but don't make the mistake and think too much about it, because it will just hurt for the wrong reasons in the end. My advice would be to just accept the tv-ending and move on. Or read the manga instead..not that it's much of a revolution anyway but.. :schierke:

Well the hole,"Deep" thing is up to you but I thought the characters were pretty well fleshed out at least for an anime. I mean they were cliche's but at least they did a lot of interesting stuff, at least to me, along the way that was out of the norm. A lot of the pent up, and strange sexual stuff like the mentioend masturbation scene. It was out there, but I liked it for that, not to mention I thought the creature design, and overal look of the show was excellent (not to mention the animation and production values are great even to this day).

However from what I understand, the show did start suffering quite a lot of problems towards the end of its run from losing a lot of money, which is one of the reasons the animation took such a dive towards the end. Not to mention a lot of the cast and crew described the ending of the show as a parallel to what was going in real life. Stuff was crashing down around them and they did that in the show, as I believe the original ending for the show was what the movies were about.

CnC

Ad Oculos
SimplyEd said:
Well, the ending of the tv-show was, in the eyes of Anno, perfect.

now that IS an arrogant thing to say. The end of the TV show was a huge step down in production, that much is obvious. Animation was recycled, that which wasn't looked terrible. It spluttered to nothing. All that remains to debate in that regard was whether or not the complete lack of plot was a conscious decision or the result of a lack of funds. However it can't be argued that the level of animation in those final bits was beneath sub-par.. and imo, pathetic.

CnC said:
now that IS an arrogant thing to say.  The end of the TV show was a huge step down in production, that much is obvious.  Animation was recycled, that which wasn't looked terrible.  It spluttered to nothing.  All that remains to debate in that regard was whether or not the complete lack of plot was a conscious decision or the result of a lack of funds.  However it can't be argued that the level of animation in those final bits was beneath sub-par.. and imo, pathetic.

I remember the statement, along with how he said the show was never really about the angels (who were actually supposed to be called apostles if not for a problem in translation), the evas, or anything else and that the show was entirely about Shinji. Now obviously he was the main character a focus, but there was a lot more going on in the show, much of it not dealing with Shinji.

And if you went by the movies, the events going on around were the main thing, but the original show's ending made Shinji the focus. So I'm not sure if that was his attempt at explaining and defending the ending or he actually meant it.

Top Bottom