Any hardcore Evangelions fans here???

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
Well, the ending of the tv-show was, in the eyes of Anno, perfect. It's just that most of the fanbase didn't want to accept that fact and they hoped that there was more to it than the endind conveyed.

Yeah, yeah. I remember reading all of this long ago. But there was still debate as to whether that was true or just something he came out with to look good (see what CnC pointed out as part of why). I'm honestly too lazy/uninterested to look into it more for details. Either way it's fine with me, I had no trouble with the TV series' ending in the first place.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
CnC said:
now that IS an arrogant thing to say.  The end of the TV show was a huge step down in production, that much is obvious.  Animation was recycled, that which wasn't looked terrible.  It spluttered to nothing.  All that remains to debate in that regard was whether or not the complete lack of plot was a conscious decision or the result of a lack of funds.  However it can't be argued that the level of animation in those final bits was beneath sub-par.. and imo, pathetic.

I do not doubt. It sure is an arrogant thing to say but he has any right to do so, after all this show IS his sickly little child.^^ Seeing that the last two episodes were nothing more than recap episodes with a nonetheless interesting commentary/dialogue in the background, it's not surprising that the production standard was significantly lessened.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, yeah. I remember reading all of this long ago. But there was still debate as to whether that was true or just something he came out with to look good (see what CnC pointed out as part of why). I'm honestly too lazy/uninterested to look into it more for details. Either way it's fine with me, I had no trouble with the TV series' ending in the first place.

Yeah, i can hear you. And i honestly believe that the ending we saw in the tv-show was the one that Anno has imagined to be the right one, as he said so many times.
Funding may have been sparse during the last couple of episodes, which is why many believe that this was the ultimate reason for those "sub-par" animations during Shinjis psycho-dive.
Yet, on the other hand we have the first motion-picture "Death and Rebirth" which is nothing more than another slightly improved and extended recap of the whole show with a slightly altered view on Shinjis psyche.
Anno and Gainax had amassed a lot of funding for this movie through merchandising and still this is what they came up with.
This only shows that the original ending was indeed the right one, but people just didn't accept it as such and there was a LOT of negative response it.
Now, i would even go as far as to say that if people had just accepted the ending as it was there wouldn't have been "End of Evangelion" in the first place.
It is quite obvious that EVA is a sad tale with a sad outcome but at least the original was sort of cheerful, with Shinji comeing to terms with his ego and a big "Congratulations" at the end.
The last line of "End" was something along the line of "disgusting", which really sums up the entire mood of that movie (and Annos disgust with the "fans", mind you).
As a stand-alone movie it surely is a masterpiece of dark and brooding art (tastes may vary here) but also is hard to digest in connection with the tv-show. And that was probably its main reason of existance for all intents and purposes.

On a sidenote: You can probably argue that this show just suffers from your typically botched "Gainax-ending". For some reason this studio has a long history of sub-par, even outrageously bad endings (Mahoromatic 2nd Season anyone? ; Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai -promising plot, shallow finale ; FLCL -first three episodes were great..the rest was meh.)
Their writers sure have a hard time with cleaning up loose ends, no doubt.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I'm fond of both versions of the ending. The movie has a some nice fight scenes that can be overused in AMVs. The TV's is great for smacking the uninitiated with. All in all, neither is great as any given moment in my favorite anime ever... Xenogears.

Meathook

The World Eaters are here to save us!
I also got in to this when I was alot younger then I am now. I picked this up the end of grade 9 start of grade 10. I also went the same route, wow, its so new and different, and mechs and hardcore crazy stuff and angst wow! Then I saw akira and Ghost in the shell and I pretty much said the same thing.

Then I got a little older my tastes got less lame and well ... I pick up other stuff that was so ... I don't know how to put it. EVA just came off really whiny to me. I really enjoyed like the first 6 episodes where he's just going ape shit and eating the other angels.

Now I look back on it and the only thing it did well was suck and die.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Meathook said:
EVA just came off really whiny to me.  I really enjoyed like the first 6 episodes where he's just going ape shit and eating the other angels.

Yeah... I still like the actual EVAs. 01's berserk rages and affinity for angel sushi are still fun, as are 00's SMASH HEAD INTO WALL YARR scenes. But then, I just love big crazy monsters.

I could almost like Shinji by the end of the TV series but then the movie came along and he was all *theme song* SUPERPUSSY!! And I just couldn't give a shit about any of the characters. They even revealed my sweetie Gendou to secretly be Superpussy, Sr.!

Now my favorite thing about EVA is just the wealth of pop culture jokes you can mine from it. Like the EVA Thumbnail theater.

<Gendou> Shinji, you suck. Get in the robot.

Anyway I still wanna do Fuyutsuki. Rawr.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I think this is a good deal. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000767QTA/ref=reg_hu-wl_item-added/002-6552298-2511242?ie=UTF8

Oburi

All praise Grail
The directors cut for the final Evangelion episodes are on a dvd titled Evangelion, Neon Genesis Director's Cut: Genesis Reborn Are these directors cut episodes on the last Platinum collection set. I plan on buying the whole series just to add to my evergrowing anime collection (plus I've never seen the series) and I'd like to own it in it's entirety. Apparently the final episodes (for whatever reasons) weren't up to par with the rest of the series so are these directors cut episodes any improvement and are they on the Platinum Set???

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Hmmm new movies, that sounds cool to me. I liked the originals, but it wasn't my favorite series exactly.

Eva accomplished something in terms of having a mental effect but it wasn't formulated near as well as say Berserk. It took off from reality and sanity and never took a breather. Every character was screwed up from A to Z and should've been in therapy rather than running a government organization. It got fairly annoying watching someone curled up in a ball repeating or rambling every other episode. Overall I did like it for its screwiness but its not something I feel like reflecting on with much deep thought anymore, because it was peiced together a bit too sloppily to deserve it. Also its just too emo and primarily focuses on depression. That is too one dimensional for me.

I don't know that there is any emotion that Berserk hasn't managed to rip from my soul in a brilliant manner. Thats really why it kicks ass. Plus Berserk girls are hot and Guts is the fuckin man.

Its all a matter of opinion, depending on the viewer's tastes.
----

On another note, I thought the series was meh, but after watching "The end of evangelion", I was a born again eva fan, due to the great animation of the fight scenes.

And by the way, 4 more OVAs of NGE are being made that retell the ending (which probably wont be a depressing one this time) which is planned to be released in 2007 and 2008. I for one am excited.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DemonX v.2.0 said:
And by the way, 4 more OVAs of NGE are being made that retell the ending (which probably wont be a depressing one this time) which is planned to be released in 2007 and 2008. I for one am excited.

And by the way, you didn't read the posts that precede yours, did you?

I have the limited collectors box which was around 150€ when i buyed it :p
also i love End of Eva :serpico:, but i agree its not that best anime out there i like FLCL from Gainax more :guts:.

My personal Top 5 currently:
Berserk
Perfect Blue
Azumanga Daioh
FLCL
End of Eva

regards
Evill33t

ps: better eva then naruto :p everyone i know is on the naruto hype atm and i cant understand it :judo:

My only recollection of Eva is that I was playing FF7 a lot when it came out, and it wasn't compelling enough to steal my interest. Soon, I'll be playing FFXII, and it still wont be compelling enough for me to watch the shitty remake things.

Space Runaway Ideon was a bazillion times better, and it still kind of sucked...

Honestly I thought it was crap, the mecha's had lame designs and the characters weren't that interesting.. I couldn't stand Asuka. It was anime's like that which encouraged me to be more selective in what I watch or read. I looked for the best (Berserk) and now I'm here. As far as I'm concerned NGE is no better then Noir or Kite (and those were absolutely shit-tastic).

Aazealh said:
Anyway, have you played any of the Eva games, since you're a fan?

Nope, usually video games butcher cinema experiences.

Who am I kidding. I don't have a game system, just a computer  :puck:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yay...another remake of how the series ends...wasn't 1 remake enough?  I'm a huge Eva fan and it was one of the first animes I ever got into way back in the mid-90's...but another remake?  Ugh.  I enjoyed the way the TV series originally ended, and I also enjoyed the way the Director's Cut episodes and the End of Eva wrapped up the series. I think another remake is overkill.  As Aazealh said, Gainax just needs more money. :schierke:

Wait, so there was the original series ending, then End of Eva. Now they are making a NEW one? Another NEW ENDING?

That's like bringing Spike BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!! :miura:

Top Bottom