Did the story of Gilgamesh influence Berserk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
I'm not asking 'Was the myth the background for Berserk', just, ' Did some of the ideas influence Miura when writing the manga?'

http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/MESO/GILG.HTM

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That's hard to say, because it doesn't really relate directly. The Epic of Gilgamesh inspired a lot of things though, including the Bible, so once again if you talk about generic themes that are present in almost all societies and cultures, then maybe. Like you could say Gilgamesh bears some vague similarities with Gaiseric in Berserk for example, but then again I don't think it's specific enough to talk of an influence. Besides, these themes are also present in a lot of other myths and legends.

So I'd say no.

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Ah yes, the archetypes of mythology and 'The Hero With a Thousand Faces'. I kind of figured that might be the case, but I wanted some feedback from other readers on the topic.

S

smoke

Been a while since I've read the story of Gilgamesh, so it's not exactly fresh in my mind (don't have time right now to go read the link).

I would say that it doesn't espcially influence Berserk in any way. Not any more than it influences say, Star Wars.

Gilgamesh didn't have trolls. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom