Shadow of the Colossus

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Like Wereallmad said, the simplicity of the plot is a strong point to the game. Similar to ICO, you're treated to heavy intro and ending cinematics that do the majority of the storytelling, but for the rest of the game, you're left to interpret/invent the main character's emotions and psychological state. I'm not even sure how the story could be given much more detail without feeling contrived/unnatural. I also don't think there's anything in the game left unexplained by the ending.

And, regarding the ending, there's one aspect I'd really like to discuss here... But SOME PEOPLE (Aaz and Griff to name a few) still haven't played it, and I know they'd ignore spoiler tags, regardless of how clever they're hidden.
:puck:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I've seen hide/reveal buttons on other forums. That seems like a good way to hide spoilers to me.

oh, and
Wereallmad said:
While I agree that the game is kind of repetitive, I personally am not bothered by it. It's kind of like masturbation for me, I just don't get tired of it. Wait a minute... tenatiously gripping a rock hard giant as it writhes and undulates, plunging a sword deep into a spurting magic seal surrounded by tufts of matted hair..... After the giant collapses, there is even a dark afterglow. Was Jack Thomspon right afterall?!? Damn you for corrupting my mind!!!
...hilarious

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Wereallmad said:
I have to disagree with the comment about adding more to the story. Personally I think if they had changed a bit of it it would have been awful, especially after playing and beating ico (took about a day, again XD ). At first I didn't like the ending of sotc, but knowing that the events of sotc are responsible for the ending of Ico makes it so much sweeter. To me, the simplicity of the plot makes the game speak even louder. I can't wait for the next game in the series.

good point. well... i guess i gotta play ico now. ^^
it's indeed true that the lack of minor foes, dungeons and a more complex storyline adds something to the atmosphere. for me it becomes kind of uncomfortable even. i'm also not quite sure how they could have added more of a story to the game. it's just that it's usually my preference for detailed storylines and cool characters that draws me to games. but you're probably right - adding more to SOTC here might have taken some things away.

when facing the first one ore two colossi in battle did anyone here experience the same mixture of tension, getting a bit uncomfortable and maybe even... anxiety until you get used to the procedure? i realise this might sound hilarious but i admit i did. i wasn't really anxious but i guess you get what i'm trying to say here. it caught my attention ^^
the game has quite some impact in many ways. i guess this is true for ICO as well although i only know it from the trailer - yet.

-TS

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
trapped_soul said:
when facing the first one ore two colossi in battle did anyone here experience the same mixture of tension, getting a bit uncomfortable and maybe even... anxiety until you get used to the procedure?
Oh, I definitely had an "OH SHIT" expression during my first 3 colossi. I remember my mouth hanging open during the entirety of the first one. After that the initial "how the FUCK am I going to do this" feeling wears off (well... until #16, of course =) ) My palms got a little sweaty during each colossi fight, with the only exception being #4, because I figured out how to kill it within about 30 seconds...

Playing ICO gives you a much more peaceful feeling, as most of the puzzles in the game aren't trying to kill you. The architecture and landscapes are still similarly breathtaking, though. And to me, they're the main attraction to these games.

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
Walter said:
Oh, I definitely had an "OH SHIT" expression during my first 3 colossi. I remember my mouth hanging open during the entirety of the first one.  After that the initial "how the FUCK am I going to do this" feeling wears off

ok glad to see i am not the only one who felt this way. ^^
i recall the second colossus giving me the creeps so much that i had to get back on horseback and make my way back up to that cliff where the thing couldn't follow me anymore. and i was bringing much more distance between me and the colossus than necessary - for the sake of my psyche lol.

but as you said - that feeling wears off after a while.
i'm already looking forward to playing ICO.

-TS

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Well, the feeling can definitely make a come back. I had similar feelings that you two stated during the first couple of Colossi, but it sort of died down. Until when I was facing #8, the one that can climb up the walls and stuff. I was on the second or third floor of the building near one of those windows when I had to pause the game and finish some laundry. Sadly I sort of forgot about the game after awhile as one thing led to another. Later that night when I was home and went into my room, I saw my TV and PS2 were still on. Remembering, I sat down to play.

Unpaused the game and turned around, and BAM I'm face to face with the Colossi, his scary mug peeking in at me through the windows. I must say it gave me a jump, and a very King Kong "damsel in distress" sort of feeling :p

KuroKenshi

ready for Today's sermon??
can anyone tell me if it is true or not that there is a seventeenth colossus as it states in several game sites that the way to fight it is to beat all four modes, i just want to know if its BS or not before i undertake the task of beating all of the colossi again. :griff:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KuroKenshi said:
can anyone tell me if it is true or not that there is a seventeenth colossus as it states in several game sites that the way to fight it is to beat all four modes, i just want to know if its BS or not before i undertake the task of beating all of the colossi again. :griff:
"All 4 modes" ? I guess you mean normal, hard, and each of their time attacks. For doing all that work, you DO get some cool equipment/items, but no "seventeenth" colossus, not to my knowledge. No. What purpose would it serve anyway? Kind of a lot of effort to go through just to fight another boss, in my opinion...

...Unless it turned out to be Dormin, that'd be cool :zodd:

Glad you revived the topic though, since SOME PEOPLE (aaz...) have had the game for some time now and HAVE YET to play it :puck: .

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
SOME PEOPLE (aaz...) have had the game for some time now and HAVE YET to play it :puck:

Well technically I don't have it, otherwise I'd have played it already. I'll get my hands on it eventually though, don't worry. :casca:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wereallmad said:
Technically there is a 17th colossi, but you don't fight it.
I know what you're talking about, but I'm not so sure it qualifies. It'd be Colossi 0 anyway :badbone:

I got to the colossi that was in the desert kind of place with the steam-jets. I couldnt figure it out to save my life. Then i had to return it. But from what i played, it was really well done. As others have pointed out, the replay value would be almost none at least to me because half the thrill was running around this giant beast trying to figure out how to take it down :)

The flying colossi was one of the most memorable gaming experiences i've ever had

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
TheBeast43105 said:
I got to the colossi that was in the desert kind of place with the steam-jets. I couldnt figure it out to save my life.
There's a lot of geysers around there, hmmm...

As others have pointed out, the replay value would be almost none at least to me because half the thrill was running around this giant beast trying to figure out how to take it down :)
Yeah, but like you say, the value is really in that initial experience of the game. Few other games can match it.

The flying colossi was one of the most memorable gaming experiences i've ever had
Yeah, that's the one I like to show off to people :guts: The music for that colossi rules too.

KuroKenshi

ready for Today's sermon??
Wereallmad said:
Technically there is a 17th colossi, but you don't fight it.
hmm.. would you mind explaining? :griff:

Walter said:
"All 4 modes" ? I guess you mean normal, hard, and each of their time attacks. For doing all that work, you DO get some cool equipment/items, but no "seventeenth" colossus, not to my knowledge. No. What purpose would it serve anyway? Kind of a lot of effort to go through just to fight another boss, in my opinion...

...Unless it turned out to be Dormin, that'd be cool :zodd:

Glad you revived the topic though, since SOME PEOPLE (aaz...) have had the game for some time now and HAVE YET to play it :puck: .
yeah i beat all the modes except the reminiscence mode. i did get some cool stuff like the one hit killer ico sword and a nifty parachute! i having really used it when fighting a colossus though but it's pretty fun base jumping off of high places except for the fact that you die if its going into water or something. :serpico:

besides base jumping you guys should try hanging on to the birds by the dead chick its pretty funny to watch! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
KuroKenshi said:
hmm.. would you mind explaining? :griff:
Dormin. I'm keeping it intentionally vague for those reading the thread that haven't played it... But having beaten the game so many times, you should know what we mean.

yeah i beat all the modes except the reminiscence mode. i did get some cool stuff like the one hit killer ico sword and a nifty parachute! i having really used it when fighting a colossus though but it's  pretty fun base jumping off of high places except for the fact that you die if its going into water or something. :serpico:
If you've gotten the ICO sword, then you've already beaten all the modes. You have to beat all 16 colossi on Hard Time Attack to get that.
besides base jumping you guys should try hanging on to the birds by the dead chick its pretty funny to watch! :guts:
Yeah, it's fun, but you can do it with any bird. I discovered it by accident when I was just jumping around in a field, trying to catch lizards. Surfing on Agro is more exciting (hold up while riding) though :guts:

Top Bottom