Mozgus' beak disciple

Chiba

Proud owner of a Dragonslayer
So I just reached the part again, where Mozgus has his first appearance along with his disciples (http://www.skullknight.net/faq/characters/disciples.jpg). There I also saw this "beak" disciple and remembered that I already wanted to look up more information on him years ago when I first read the manga.
Well today, I stumbled across this while I was actually looking for something totally different: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor.
Do you think Miura took the idea for the beak disciple from this?

If this was already brought up I'm sorry, I couldn't find anything.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's been brought up several times in the past already. It's definitely possible that Miura based himself on this old mask design to create the costume of the bird-themed disciple.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I also agree that this might have some influence on Miura's drawings. I believe he has to do some research to make the settings and costumes of the time as accurate as he can. His story might be not all realistic, but some aspects of culture and costumes of the time period seem pretty close to me. I don't think Miura would just draw something that he didn't know about or didn't care alittle to not give value to his manga.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
I also agree that this might have some influence on Miura's drawings. I believe he has to do some research to make the settings and costumes of the time as accurate as he can. His story might be not all realistic, but some aspects of culture and costumes of the time period seem pretty close to me. I don't think Miura would just draw something that he didn't know about or didn't care alittle to not give value to his manga.
It's been heavily documented (in pictures of his workstation and his own admission) how much research Miura does to create Berserk. But it's a misnomer to pin his designs to any one time period. As has been stated several times, as far as design and architecture similarities to our own world are concerned, Berserk is very anachronistic.

Top Bottom