Apostle Form

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Forest Wraith should at least get points for posting the ass-face demon in The Temptation of St. Anthony. I love that thing.

Aazealh said:
Thanks, although I believe the comparison imposes itself to those who know both artists. Our member JIN could talk about it for hours and in great details.

Yes, JIN, please do! :casca:

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
TheSkyTraveller said:
Forest Wraith should at least get points for posting the ass-face demon in The Temptation of St. Anthony. I love that thing.

I assume that you are referring to the one in the bottom-right-hand corner? Because that Poor little guy has a Bad case of Hemorrhoids . . .
So long as we are still on Dore, here is a reason to Love the Internet: http://dore.artpassions.net/ . . .
Hmm, Some common themes that I'm picking up on off the top of my head: Masterful use of cross-hatching, line-shading and other artistic techniques in order to depict depth and to high-light dramatic scenes. An excellent knowledge and talent for portraying human emotions juxtaposed against horrific, otherworldly and or epic circumstances on an often-times grand scale in a remarkably humane, simplistic and realistic context . . . All of these factors bring archetypical experiences that would otherwise have no frame of reference for the layman into an intimate and immediate sense of reality and comprehension in all their glory.

JIN

Yudanero...
Aazealh said:
Our member JIN could talk about it for hours and in great details.

What the..huh? Dude I told you I sit in the back of the class to not be called on. Besides I had my head down so I was napping.

Forest Wraith said:
So long as we are still on Dore, here is a reason to Love the Internet: http://dore.artpassions.net/ . . .
Hmm, Some common themes that I'm picking up on off the top of my head: Masterful use of cross-hatching, line-shading and other artistic techniques in order to depict depth and to high-light dramatic scenes. An excellent knowledge and talent for portraying human emotions juxtaposed against horrific, otherworldly and or epic circumstances on an often-times grand scale in a remarkably humane, simplistic and realistic context . . . All of these factors bring archetypical experiences that would otherwise have no frame of reference for the layman into an intimate and immediate sense of reality and comprehension in all their glory.

Yea.. like he said. That is a cool site. I can't say "support the artist" unless he's a zombie but going out and getting some of Doré's illustrations in book form would just be doing a favor to oneself. Gustave Doré was a machine trapped in a human's body. Having illustrated many of the most popular literary works of all time to the point where its often used as "the" visual reference for said stories gets Doré to the top of my Favorite Artist list elevator style.

TheSkyTraveller said:

I don't know if I can be of much help on this topic. It was about apostles and what determines their form...now it's what influenced Miura in creating apostles(?). I don't think it's any one thing or person that inspires him to do what he does design wise. I really believe that he has an absolutely priceless imagination and shows it constantly. Also I can't see Bosch being cited as an example of possible influences either for technical comparisons or for actual character look development. Miura neither paints nor draws like Bosch. I'm open to debate on this but words won't do. I'd have to ask for side by side art comparisons.

About Doré and Miura... as stated above I don't believe anyone is directly responsible for influencing Miura's character designs, but for inspiration one really doesn't need to go any further than Doré. In stating the obvious Miura's art has blossomed over the years to become what it is today (gorgeous details supplied but a variety of different pen techniques and inserted screentone patterns). Why? Is it possible that he looks up to someone possibly. When looking for inspiration (a pep talk but with pictures is what I mean by inspiration) I like to look through Berserk. Before Berserk I would open one of my Doré artbooks (in fact I would fall asleep with the book still open on my chest) for such pep talks. His attention to detail and absolute control of his hand is reflected in most of his work (including quick observational sketches, paintings with many different medium, carvings, and sculptures) for results that are just short of spell binding. I'll find myself compelled to draw after seeing it..it's unavoidable, or more like pleasantly contagious :carcus:. Since I started to follow Berserk Miura's evolution has been one of the major reasons why he is to be admired. I noticed a pattern though (I don't really know how to be more specific.. I just see patterns). I really had nothing more than this to base my idea at the time. Though as I progressed through the manga and later confirmed from the interview Aaz had referred to, Miura's growth style wise is no doubt due to Doré as an aspiration mark. There's only one Doré. Though through Miura's hard work and refining of his craft we can also say the same of Mr. Kentarou Miura. I was thinking of using picture comparisons from the two but I don't think it'll add anything to this "apostle" thread. Also I'm trying to avoid the ole "oh so he got that from there" remarks which wouldn't be completely dismissible but just unnecessary. Also note worthy are Miura's works in sculpture. Doré often worked with the 3 colors Miura chose for his busts ( :???: :griff: :guts: :puck:).

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
JIN said:
I like to look through Berserk. Before Berserk I would open one of my Doré artbooks (in fact I would fall asleep with the book still open on my chest) for such pep talks. His attention to detail and absolute control of his hand is reflected in most of his work (including quick observational sketches, paintings with many different medium, carvings, and sculptures) for results that are just short of spell binding. I'll find myself compelled to draw after seeing it..it's unavoidable, or more like pleasantly contagious :carcus:.

On that note; I think that you will be happy to know that until reading this and then noting your signature in the bottom right: I was under the impression that your avatar was done by Miura himself: I envisoned Isidro leaving it behind as a note for someone in a scene I had missed or as a miscellanious work apart from the manga itself. Well done.

Top Bottom