Picture of an object found in 1872

Here's the picture: MySpace LINK
It's 4 inches long, 2 1/2 inches thick. It does have other symbols carved on it, an arrow, a moon, an ear of corn, and a spiral.
It was found near Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire in 1872.
It is on display in the Museum of new Hampshire in Concord.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny. It looks like it's hollow and can be opened by removing the part with the face on it, any indication about that?

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Well I am pretty close to New Hampshire, I can just go down there, get my hands on it, and rule the woooorld! *que evil laughter*

:troll:

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
Interesting find, and yeah, it does look like you can pop the face out.  Wonder what it was used for, if anything.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Raziel said:
Wonder what it was used for, if anything.

It could just be an ornamented box, I've quite a bit that weren't unlike this one (save for the specific egg-like shape), and that came from various different civilizations too. Then again it could also simply be a decorated stone, it's hard to tell from this low-quality picture.

It is called only "the Mystery Stone."
"The American Naturalist suggested the stone "commemorates a treaty between two tribes." Others have guessed Celtic or Inuit." -Valley News
It is made of a type of quartzite, derived from sandstone, or mylonite. The rock type is not familiar to New Hampshire, but thew state has not been ruled out as the source.
No word in the article if the face opens, but I'm guessing that it is solid.

Stream

Inousha
Interesting!

But...
Now you've got me fantasizing about someone finding something Beherit-like in some strange archeo. dig OR IN HIS OWN GARDEN and then ... oh boy let's not get into fanfic scenario :guts:

p.s. <stares through the garden view window> I wonder where my shovel is...

:serpico:

D

Death Can Wait

Wow, eerie. I wonder if someone buried a model of a behelit and the future generations read berserk....god that would be awesome.

D

Death Can Wait

Perhaps its already been used? To my memory the behelit alligns itself when used. Obviously joke aside, that's still a very odd artifact, and we can dream!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Young Nastyman said:
Perhaps its already been used? To my memory the Beherit alligns itself when used.

It doesn't last. They return to their disfigured selves afterwards.

TheRedShadow

Don't turn around.
In the first picture, there is a hole in the top, or what appears to be a hole.  What do you suppose that was...erm... is? Where a clasp might have been?

I mean the very top, its peak. Where the design is. Looks like a small opening.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JhizakYahr said:
In the first picture, there is a hole in the top, or what appears to be a hole.

Looks like a simple crack to me, but without better pictures I can't really tell.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I live around a half-hours drive away from Concord . . . I wonder what my Apostle form will be?
Seriously though, I'll try to make it out to the museum when I have time and I'll bring my camera.

Top Bottom