The specifics of Griffith's torture during his imprisonment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please help me with something?
I've been a fan of Berserk for several years now, but there's one thing that I can't understand. What exacrly happens to Griffith during his jail time at the tower of Rebirth? I already have the vol 1-11 in English with the exception of volumes 9 and 10. I also own the vol 1-7 and 11-19 in its original Japanese format. Now I know that Griffith gets tortured, and when I saw him in vol 11, he appears as if he has just been brought out of Nazi concentration camp after doing hard time there. So can anyone tell me what have Griffith's torturers have done to him, and please spare me no details.
Thanks.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Well, all we really know about the torture is what the little jailer guy mentions when he tries to catch Guts, Casca, and the other rescuers down at the bottom of the tower. He says that he cut the tendons in Griffith's arms and legs, pulled out his nails, tore off his skin whenever he wasn't sleeping or eating, burned him with hot irons and boiling water, and took out his tongue... I hope I didn't miss anything. :puck:

Anyway, I hope that helps you out. I got my information from Dark Horse's translation of volume 10, which I'm assuming is pretty accurate.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That about covers it. :griffnotevil:

I can only think of one more small thing that's worth mentioning. The torturer did this to Griffith for over a year. So, I'd assume that when the skin/nails grew back, he'd repeat the process of removing them again, since by the time we see Griff areas of his skin are still missing. Yeesh...

Thanks, y'all. On one last note, does the guy who disfigures Griffith gets what he deserves? (You know, suffers an appropriate violent and visceral death, "Berserk-style")?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
Thanks, y'all. On one last note, does the guy who disfigures Griffith gets what he deserves? (You know, suffers an appropriate violent and visceral death, "Berserk-style")?
Oh, I'd say so :guts: . But you should really get volume 10 to see for yourself. 9-10 are particularly vital to the story.

Thanks again, Walter.
I'll placing my order on volumes 9 and 10 tonight at Amazon. I've just been too forgetful/busy about buying those particular ones. Man, I didn't realize that I'm missing out on so much. I thought that those volumes were just all about Griffith's torture and that's it, and that I can just skip right through 'em. I think that this thread had served its purpose, and it should be locked.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
I thought that those volumes were just all about Griffith's torture and that's it, and that I can just skip right through 'em.

Hahahah, sorry man but that's really the biggest mistake ever. Don't ever think you can skip a volume, because you might miss really crucial things, just like you did here. These 2 volumes have very important elements in them like Walter said, you'll realize it soon enough.

BayJumper said:
I think that this thread had served its purpose, and it should be locked.

Sure, done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom