The Dark Knight

Or whatever they'll call the sequel :guts:

Anyway, it seems like they've picked the actor for the Joker. It seems like a rumor, it seems like it's true. But whatever it is, I just don't know what to make of it when it comes to how I feel.

Heath Ledger.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/719/719898p1.html

I think Robin Williams would've been an interesting choice. That or Johnny Depp.

Re: Batman Begins...again

Nooooooooo!

:judo:

I feel so disappointed. Ah well... I'll still see the movie regardless. I mean, Katie wasn't enough to stop me from seeing the first so I suppose they'll still get my money. Bleh.

Winde, not happy but the world goes on

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Maybe I've mellowed or my priorities have changed, but I could care less about this choice. I'm almost intrigued even.

BTW, since this was a re-do of the franchise anyway, was Jim Carrey ever considered for the part? He could certainly pull it off if they kept him under control (have him play it seriously and not like a jackass). It would help his career at this point, as well as raise the movie's profile even more; the perfect storm, really... great, NOW I'm dissapointed. =)

Oh well, could have been a disaster with him too (his last best work was In Living Color), at least we know Heath won't act like Jim Carrey. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

dwarfkicker said:
I think Robin Williams would've been an interesting choice. That or Johnny Depp.
Isn't it a little early to be speculating on this? The movie's still 2 years away. But, in my opinion, Robin's a little old for this... And do you think Johnny Depp just leaps at every role he's given? He's pretty selective. I really doubt he'd take the role even if it was offered.

Anyway, like Griff said, I really don't care who it is for this. I'm sure Nolan will handle it well. But if I had to pick, I'd really rather it be a relative unknown like Cillian Murphy was with the Scarecrow. Star power is a dangerous thing.

Griffith

Walter said:
And do you think Johnny Depp just leaps at every role he's given? He's pretty selective. I really doubt he'd take the role even if it was offered.

Yeah, right...

WillieWonka-closeup.JPG

"Pirates of the Caribbean 5, coming soon!"​

Honestly, I don't think there's a role he wouldn't take, and I don't mean that in a bad way (could go either way, depending on if he cares about Batman or not). Speaking of which, tell us more about Johnny, what kinds of food does he eat, how selective is he about his sandwich meats? =)

Walter said:
Star power is a dangerous thing.

It can also make the role, if they choose the right star (and they're good to begin with). My point is obvious; Tom Cruise is our perfect Joker! He's been working up to this for the last year.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

hrm... speaking of "Robin" anyone have any hopes concerning the eventuality of the boy wonder in this new batman movie series?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

They should get the other guy from Brokeback Mountain to play him, then the Joker can woo him away. It would be HOT! :carcus:

Griffith

Majin Tenshi said:
hrm... speaking of "Robin" anyone have any hopes concerning the eventuality of the boy wonder in this new batman movie series?

Like, I hope it never happens? =)

Griffith

No, that's why I also wrote all this, dumbass:

"Griffith No More!" said:
He could certainly pull it off if they kept him under control (have him play it seriously and not like a jackass). It would help his career at this point, as well as raise the movie's profile even more; the perfect storm, really... great, NOW I'm dissapointed. =)

Oh well, could have been a disaster with him too (his last best work was In Living Color), at least we know Heath won't act like Jim Carrey. =)

:carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos

I think heath ledger can pull it off... its not that bad of a choice, imo

Griffith

CnC said:
I think heath ledger can pull it off... its not that bad of a choice, imo

Yeah, I don't think it's a particularly good or bad choice, but hey, why not? =)

BACK ON TOPIC:

So, Ledger could be good for this, I'm sure there's a reason he was chosen, buuuut I was actually hoping for more of this guy:

cglover1-1.gif
Crispin%20Glover.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Slightly Green said:
"Your children were.... delicious"

Yeah, wow. What a genuinely disturbing-looking guy. Glover's got it DOWN. I guess I'm just really having a hard time seeing Ledger as the Joker because I can't see any similarity in the other roles he's taken in the past. He proved he could act in "Brokeback," but it didn't necessarily exemplify his range as an actor, and for a role like the Joker, you need some range. But, like I said, I have faith that Nolan can bring it out of him. Pulling the right performance out of the actor is the responsibility of the director anyway.

PS: "Heeeey yoouuuu. Get your damn hands off the smiley gas canister...!"

IMDB hasn't said anything about Heath Ledger being the joker in the new movie, so there's still hope it won't be him. I don't mind him as an actor, but surely there are more appropriate actors than him for the role, surely.

Just recently saw Batman Begins again, still very impressed by it. The only thing I pray to god they fix is the cheap 0.3 second edit shots from one cut to another during promising action scenes. Most of which were close ups to make it less desirable, but all in all I'm still looking forward to it.

Griffith

Walter said:
I guess I'm just really having a hard time seeing Ledger as the Joker because I can't see any similarity in the other roles he's taken in the past. He proved he could act in "Brokeback," but it didn't necessarily exemplify his range as an actor, and for a role like the Joker, you need some range.

Think of his acting range as an "unknown." =) That's actually what's most interesting to me about this, he doesn't jump to mind for the part, but maybe that will work (like I said, at least he won't act like Jim Carrey did as the Riddler... I hope).

Sparnage said:
The only thing I pray to god they fix is the cheap 0.3 second edit shots from one cut to another during promising action scenes. Most of which were close ups to make it less desirable

Egads, I had forgotten about that. Yeah, where was Nolan's genius then to turn that into gold? Same editor on this one too.

Oh, and Rane, Crispin Glover? I hope you're being very sarcastic, otherwise, how 'bout NO! Only on the Internet is that a "good" idea.

P.S. Just wanted to add, most of my faith in the Ledger choice is that he always seems slightly insane in his public appearances. =)

Man, just look at this range... of insanity!

IMDB hasn't said anything about Heath Ledger being the joker in the new movie, so there's still hope it won't be him.

IMDB is updated by users like you and me. It isn't very reliable.

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Hmmm. Well, now that I think about it, Heath Ledger wouldn't be a completely unusual choice. Though most people remember him for his serious acting work in Brokeback Mountain (which, I must admit, is a far cry from a character like the Joker), I think he could pull it off with the right amount of makeup and a cool costume (Bah, I feel so superficial saying that). :guts: From what I've seen of his interviews, he doesn't take himself too seriously, which would be quite essential to playing such a well loved villian. And his mouth has that turny-uppy quality to it, which helps too.

And Robin Williams couldn't ever play the Joker, in my opinion. His type of humor is of a different flavor, and besides, he's too hairy. :troll:

Man i was really hoping for robin williams. But yeah, if he was the was the joker, he would more have been more of the sad clown type, like in "one hour photo".

Word was that he really was pushing for the part too.

D

Death Can Wait

I seem to be the only one who has watched Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind. Jim Carrey definitely has a serious side, this is even evident in the Truman Show and Man on the Moon. Its media whorage that bastardizes him as "maniac", he got the typical hollywood "damning role" in which your stereotypical character is your only -financial- success.

As far as the sequel to Batman Begins, meh...I can't say I'm looking forward to that idea. Who knows though. Robin Williams was considered for Tim Burton's Batman (though Jack will always be the best), he could have easily made a nice Joker for this one. I really do hope it follows "The Long Halloween" as I have been reading, it would be so great since BB followed Year One and TLH, my two favorite Batman books ever.

Death Can Wait said:
I seem to be the only one who has watched Eternal Sunshine on the Spotless Mind. Jim Carrey definitely has a serious side, this is even evident in the Truman Show and Man on the Moon. Its media whorage that bastardizes him as "maniac", he got the typical hollywood "damning role" in which your stereotypical character is your only -financial- success.

Ive seen it, and i really liked it. And i think Carrey would be alright for the joker role. He'd just have to control himself and not go TOO over the top.

D

Death Can Wait

I don't know if I personally want to see Carrey in another Batman film. He did great as the riddler, I believe the "over-the-top" prescence was already due to shumacker's (Sp) overbearing metrosexual flashness. I still have no idea what to expect of Ledger, I just wish they do the whole TLH so even if he sucks he won't have that big of a role (since nearly every villian is present and Two Face is the key component)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

The Long Halloween was a great little story, don't get me wrong. But to faithfully adapt it into a ~2.5 hour movie would be a huge chore for Nolan. He'll have to REALLY boil it down for it to have any impact whatsoever on casual movie goers. Of course, just maintaining the premise of TLW would be sufficient, since that's essentially what Nolan did for Begins and its connection to Year One.
[hide]I just wonder if they'll really go into the background of Two-Face, Poison Ivy and all those other clowns in the same movie that's supposed to carry the Joker as a major Batman villain.[/hide]
And honestly, as heretical as it is for a comic nerd like me to say it, I'd really rather Nolan did his own thing instead of adapting another tried-and-true Batman story arc.

Griffith

Walter said:
The Long Halloween was a great little story, don't get me wrong. But to faithfully adapt it into a ~2.5 hour movie would be a huge chore for Nolan. He'll have to REALLY boil it down for it to have any impact whatsoever on casual movie goers. Of course, just maintaining the premise of TLW would be sufficient, since that's essentially what Nolan did for Begins and its connection to Year One.

And honestly, as heretical as it is for a comic nerd like me to say it, I'd really rather Nolan did his own thing instead of adapting another tried-and-true Batman story arc.

Well, it seems you're really more of a Nolan queen than a comic nerd now, anyway. :troll:

Top Bottom