Anyone played the online game called Maplestory?

It orginated from Japan... And I have to say its a very addictive free online game...

Anyone here have played or are currently playing?

[EDITED BY GRIFFTH NO MORE TO NO... BUT MY STAND IS YES!!!]

Griffith please stop this... No point you trying to delete every single of my post as IF you have something to hide AND/OR prevent me from trying to voice out any possible dissatisfactions...

Others: Number of no. that can be seem in this thread (as obvious in reply #11) is the number of times that he deleted my post and well...the time span is indicated as well...

Trust me... Talking about offensive... He is the one to get on my nerves first...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:
It orginated from Japan... And I have to say its a very addictive free online game...

Anyone here have played or are currently playing?
I just recently became aware of it. And from the screenshots I've seen of it, sorry Smith... but I kind of want to kill myself.

It looks like the Sexygrrl dress-up animated gifs featured on every teenage girl's blog got their own game. How is this popular? Also, every free MMORPG I've tried (with the exception of text-based ones) has lag that makes the game virtually unplayable without a large chunk of patience and determination.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but everytime I go to a public terminal place, be it a library or my old university, I always and I mean ALWAYS see kids playing shit like this, Ragnarok and other free, ridiculous, clothes-collecting MMORPG games online.

So, I think it's really an issue of old vs young. Similar to how younger kids LOVE the new Star Wars episodes, but older people can't stand them. They're the wave of the future, baby! WHOO HOO!

Walter said:
Yeah, but everytime I go to a public terminal place, be it a library or my old university, I always and I mean ALWAYS see kids playing shit like this, Ragnarok and other free, ridiculous, clothes-collecting MMORPG games online. 

So, I think it's really an issue of old vs young.  Similar to how younger kids LOVE the new Star Wars episodes, but older people can't stand them.  They're the wave of the future, baby! WHOO HOO!

At least Clone Wars was watchable, but thats off topic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
They're making a NDS version of MapleStory, I see a bright future for that game. :chomp:

Smith said:
It orginated from Japan...

Actually no, it didn't. Like most Asian MMORPGs, it's Korean (developed by Wizet). Get your facts straight at least when making a thread.

Walter said:

Give these games some credit, sure they're not very pretty and they're filled with idiots, but they do have some genuine qualities, which is why they're so popular. And unfortunately, commercial games such as WoW are also filled with idiots and 12yo kids, and I don't think it's proportionally less unfortunately. Maybe this is a revelation to some but every MMORPG or almost does have people in it that collect clothes and spend their day sitting on their ass and talking with people, it's part of the social side of these games (and it's not really just about collecting clothes, unlike on Gaia Online for example). However that doesn't mean you can't do what it was originally intended for anymore (gaining levels by endlessly killing monsters and collecting enough batwings to buy yourself a +3 Magic Longsword of Doom! w00t!!).

The screenshot you posted may look unsettling (on purpose, I'm sure you chose the worst one you could find), but if you think in MMORPG terms it's really nothing much past the ugly platformer 2D aspect. If anything the game's just victim of its success, but having 300 people in the same place saying random shit is something every player of UO, EQ, Lineage, and probably all other major games up to WoW has seen. It's also not so different from old MUDs, only nowadays any game can afford a cheap 2D interface, while they couldn't in the 80s.

It really doesn't look that bad: screenshot 01, screenshot 02, screenshot 03, screenshot 04, screenshot 05, screenshot 06, screenshot 07.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
They're making a NDS version of MapleStory, I see a bright future for that game. :chomp:

Give these games some credit, sure they're not very pretty and they're filled with idiots, but they do have some genuine qualities, which is why they're so popular. And unfortunately, commercial games such as WoW are also filled with idiots and 12yo kids, and I don't think it's proportionally less unfortunately. Maybe this is a revelation to some but every MMORPG or almost does have people in it that collect clothes and spend their day sitting on their ass and talking with people, it's part of the social side of these games (and it's not really just about collecting clothes, unlike on Gaia Online for example). However that doesn't mean you can't do what it was originally intended for anymore (gaining levels by endlessly killing monsters and collecting enough batwings to buy yourself a +3 Magic Longsword of Doom! w00t!!).

The screenshot you posted may look unsettling (on purpose, I'm sure you chose the worst one you could find), but if you think in MMORPG terms it's really nothing much past the ugly platformer 2D aspect. If anything the game's just victim of its success, but having 300 people in the same place saying random shit is something every player of UO, EQ, Lineage, and probably all other major games up to WoW has seen. It's also not so different from old MUDs, only nowadays any game can afford a cheap 2D interface, while they couldn't in the 80s.

It really doesn't look that bad: screenshot 01, screenshot 02, screenshot 03, screenshot 04, screenshot 05, screenshot 06, screenshot 07.

Its kinda funny you mention this because just recently added a feature that made it so you can talk to people globaly. Well needless to say that the idiots have taken advantage of it and its a non-stop barrage of Chuck Norris jokes and other retarded crap.

Good thinking blizzard!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Its kinda funny you mention this because just recently added a feature that made it so you can talk to people globaly. Well needless to say that the idiots have taken advantage of it and its a non-stop barrage of Chuck Norris jokes and other retarded crap.

Hahaha way to go. Stuff like this is the downside of massively multiplayer games, and unfortunately save for free for all PvP where people don't want to get too much attention there really isn't a cure for it.

There are many adults whom i know is still currently playing in this game... And they are the main sponsors which keep the games going... spenting hundred of dollars per week...

I myself played it for like 6 mths and i must say... despite being so irritating as the amount of people that could virtually lag the best server out... I must say it is really fun...

Why? Because its a real game of challenge.... It is one of the only game i see that the moderator are not do anything much EXCEPT make money and life difficult for every maplers... HELL... They will think of every hardest obstacles they could imagine (such as jumping quest) to make u feel like throwing ur monitor down your balcony... Leveling was crazily hard... Taking 20 hrs at least of pure training even with 2X EXP cards to lvled once... (And i am only referring to the middle range lvls)... Dying would be 10% total EXP being forfeited

There is this Screen shot i see with a lvl 177 warrior (max is 200, not very sure as no one else in this entire world have reached this lvl)

His EXP to next level was 622 million... He was fighting the final boss of Maplestory (as part of training) which gives 19M EXP in total... But guess wat? It took a team of at least 8 members in a party about 4-5 HRS!!!! to take down the boss... AND EXP was shared equally among the 8 member!!!

Well on the bright side... this game is actually quite fun as a whole... Perhap its time to see some video in youtube to get the feel yourself...

Here are some of the nice clips u can see for urself and judge whether is MS really as bad as what walter had said...

http://www.zamevid.blogspot.com/

CnC

Ad Oculos
NO said:
I myself played it for like 6 mths and i must say... despite being so irritating as the amount of people that could virtually lag the best server out... I must say it is really fun...

meh. It doesn't look all that interesting, imo. I doubt it'd have much play in a non-asian market.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
meh. It doesn't look all that interesting, imo. I doubt it'd have much play in a non-asian market.

It's quite popular all over the world. It has over 47 million players.

That because it havent hit the American market?

The background if u didnt realised was set to be Western sort of culture... Initially when i play I thought it was from USA :X

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I should have been more clear with my initial post. I'm not trying to pick on Maple Story in particular (though the character sprites really do piss me off, honestly). But, I mean that ANY MMORPG will suffer disrespect/abuse/lag regardless of its unique design and good intentions because of the vacuum created by idiots on the internet. Aaz hit the nail on the head. Even commercial games suffer from it, maybe even more so because idiots feel entitled to fuck with other players since they paid money for it.

Anyone who's actually invested time in a game on the internet knows what I'm talking about, and to me it's a serious problem for the genre (unless you're one of the people causing the chaos, then it's a GOLDEN AGE of entertainment. Maybe they're onto something?). Like Smith touched on, even heavy moderation and monitoring of the servers tends to make these games even more painful, since many mods aren't trying to make the game more fun, only getting off on controlling players.

Not sure about this... But i heard the boss of WIZET "company hosting maplestory" is now a billionair...

No joke... I have seen maplers taking own photo of themselves showing all the maple card they had... It unbelievable... entire drawer was nth BUT CARDS...

Others.. with cards piling up like poker decks.. Not to mention this cards cost SGD$10 EACH...

SaiyajinNoOuji said:

Good thinking blizzard!

LOL, the Chuck Norris jokes are harmless, they just create the problem.  For example: Lets say I just say "Chuck Norris" in global looking for group.  A barrage of Chuck Norris jokes will follow.  Then we'd get swamped by idiots telling them to stfu/calling them idiots/threatening to report/etc.  Then you get the wave of people telling THOSE people to stfu/this is a looking for group channel/stop spamming/etc. LOL.  Unfortunately, anything Norris-related or not sets off the cycle so it's not so much the Chuck Norris jokes that ruined it, it's the people who respond to the jokes that are the problem.  Fun times, LOL.  :troll:

CnC said:
...still don't find it all that interesting, tho.

I was having that thought initally... I was forced to play becz I lost a bet to my friend...

Then i got hooked up... It make me forget all other games inculding my ex-favourite... DOTA...

Maplestory is bad :( Horrible lag, bad gameplay. Ok backgrounds and foregrounds, but ugly characters.

If you want to invest some time in a free mmo, Ro is the way to go I think.
I play WoW, so I'm just a victim of the machine though :(

Top Bottom