Rome (HBO series)

S

Sama

Hi all!
My sister was watching The Rome on TV, and I noticed something when ehh what's her name, Servilia of the Junii was cursing Gaius Julius Caesar and she said some things like "Let his (I don't know the exact words but..) soldiers/alies drown in their own blood" and She was like, marking and writing with a pen or something on a iron plate, and it looked like the Berserk brand..

Now I know it wasn't exactly alike but, what's with that? :???:

I've just been watching this great series (should change the thread title to simply "Rome") and I recommend it to all Berserk fans. This is how a live action Berserk should be like. It's gritty and violent with alot of nudity but like with Berserk it only feels natural considering the age it pictures and Rome also has compelling characters (good acting) and political intrigue (Caesar is as great to watch as Griffith.)

Highly recommended, I think Miura himself would like it.

As for the brand being in Rome, that's a definite no. Servilia was simply scratching on a plate with a stickfigure symbol representing Caesar. Kind of like a "voodoo doll" of him, except drawn on a plate. As Walter guessed it's a double helix (in this case representing the "head" and "body" of the stickfigure) with additional legs that the Berserk brand doesn't have allong with some type of script written in it.

X

Xem

The only thing wrong with this series is it stopped after 2 seasons, much the same with Deadwood.

S

Sanguinius

Deci said:
The only thing wrong with this series is it stopped after 2 seasons, much the same with Deadwood.

When did you want it to run to? Caligula? can't get enough incest on tv I guess.

Throughout the course of human history there has been only three truly great stories...

The first was the immaculate birth of Christ.

The second was the untimely death of Christ.

And the third, and greatest by far, belonged to this man.

S

Sanguinius

A.C said:
Throughout the course of human history there has been only three truly great stories...

The first was the immaculate birth of Christ.

The second was the untimely death of Christ.

And the third, and greatest by far, belonged to this man.

Is that Malcolm McDowell or Caligula, either way it's a nice fitting with No. 1 & 2.

P.S. Why do they spell the name wrong when it's not spelt like that anywhere, even on the dvd cover it shows beneath the title?

Personally I'd like a series running from the Persian Wars to the Peloponnesian Wars, fat chance I think.

Sanguinius said:
Is that Malcolm McDowell or Caligula

Caligola.

Anyway, I hear "I Claudius" is a previous miniseries that can work as a sequel to ROME. Anyone know if it's any good? I haven't seen Deadwood yet but I should probably check that out as well.

S

Sanguinius

A.C said:
Caligola.

Anyway, I hear "I Claudius" is a previous miniseries that can work as a sequel to ROME. Anyone know if it's any good? I haven't seen Deadwood yet but I should probably check that out as well.

Depends what you think is good, it's quite different from the Rome series. I think it's a 1970's series from the BBC. It's much more, what's the word ..... sedated? anyway depends what you liked in the Rome series, the "I Claudius" series isn't so violent or sexual, it's more conspiratorial.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Yep, it was canceled.

No, it was just never planned for it to go over 2 seasons. That's not the same thing. They announced there wouldn't be a third season almost at the same time they announced the second one. Apparently it was just too costly to keep doing it.

Sanguinius said:
Depends what you think is good, it's quite different from the Rome series. I think it's a 1970's series from the BBC. It's much more, what's the word ..... sedated? anyway depends what you liked in the Rome series, the "I Claudius" series isn't so violent or sexual, it's more conspiratorial.

I just finished watching the "I, Claudius" series and it was fantastic as well. I had to get used to actors with radically different looks and mannerism playing older Octavian/Augustus and Livia but once I did I was hooked on it just as much as ROME. It was cleaner and lowbudget but the amount of implied violence and sex was just as nuts as the ROME series. Heh, goes to show you that high production value isn't everything. But I would've loved it if ROME had covered a bit of that history as well.

Top Bottom