SKnet Museum: Black Sun Over Midland

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Our first (and likely last) entry into the Skullknight.NET museum of Berserk fandom artifacts is the now-legendary website Black Sun Over Midland. Created by Jonathan Obien AKA SkullKnight/Skully, a physics professor, BSOM was the original English-language Berserk website, and where SKnet got its start. Its reign was from 1999-2003, and from it came many still active members of SKnet, and still other memorable users now lost to time.

http://bsom.skullknight.net/

The vast majority of the restoration is thanks to Griffith, who toiled away many more hours than me, hunting down each individual image and HTML. However, because of the scattered nature of the site, we were unable to restore the HUGE forums. And while many were drawn to its extensive content, the forums were where the real action happened. Thankfully, every other aspect of the page is perfectly functional and intact. Check out the wacky guestbook. It's sort of a sub-forum XD

We'll remember you, BSOM. And Skully, one day I'll find you and bring you back :void:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Boo! It's the best part. :judo:
Griff and I tried, him more than me, I'll attest to that. In the end, it would have taken literally months just to hunt/save them all. And that doesn't even take into account the HTML work they'd need to piece them all together again. If people still really want to see it, they can cryptically view the individual threads here, which is where most of our work was done.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.physics.scsu.edu/~jobien/berserk/home.html

The loss of the forums is felt, but the rest of the site is MASSIVE. Check it out.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Ahh, neat. Thanks for the hard work, guys! I remember, like most people, how happy I was when I found this after seeing the last episode. Was your site really called "Walter's Sanctuary" back then? :guts:
I forgot.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
This is pretty cool. I didn't get to see much of BSOM since it closed not long after I got interested in Berserk.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
kimchan said:
This is pretty cool.  I didn't get to see much of BSOM since closed not long after I got interested in Berserk.

Same here. I wasn't very forum-savvy back then (hardly knew anything about 'em) so I was never a member there, but it was the first Berserk site I ever frequented. It's nice to see most of it restored, brings back some good memories. :serpico:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The World is now a better place and future generations will be ensured of the chance to see BSOM. It would have been a shame to let it fade away (I still get a kick out of seeing it listed in the DC game manual =). Thanks for making it happen, Wally.

BTW, Skully had already removed the BBS in the final version of the site. And guys,the BSS 5 years after the fact isn't such a hot read anyway, trust me. =)

CnC

Ad Oculos
"Griffith No More!" said:
And guys,the BSS 5 years after the fact isn't such a hot read anyway, trust me. =)

Would have been interesting to see our choices for who should play the characters in the Berserk movie back then. Ah the memories...

But that aside, great work Walter and Griff. S'good to see the old site placed in the sk.net museum

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
A classic website. Went there back in the day for the Berserk media he had, but never joined the forum. Wish I had been a part of it :puck:

Great addition to host, Wally. Hat's off to ya.

Top Bottom