Episode 277

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I can't say anything that everyone else hasn't said about how awesome this is going to be. Can't wait :zodd:

Sparnage said:
I hope it's a flashback also, we don't see those too often.... well unless you include that whole 12 volume thing.
There's a lot, actually if you want to consider the whole series at large. It's just that they haven't happened recently. Just offhand there's the King's recollection of Wyald, Jill remembering Rochine, and Farnese and Serpico's 2 episode flashback in volume 22.

This is a rather unorthodox special preview after a month-long break. And if it really is a flashback, then it would be pretty similar to the 2 part "Snow Flames and..." Serpico/Farnese flashback that was introduced at the end of the Retribution Arc, also directly following a month long break. Of course, the only dent in that theory is that we're currently smack in the middle of an arc...

Another interesting thought is that this is the first special preview I've seen in a while that was out of context of the current story. The only other noteworthy one was ep 175's full-page painting of Griffith, just before his reincarnation. If that's not some hype, I don't know what is.

Judo

Midlands finest
Well, I jump on the flashback-train.

But maybe it's just an image that Guts has when he is thinking about how the great Zodd was beaten so "easily" right in front of his eyes.

C

cajunman380

Not to burst anyones bubble but has anyone considered the possibility that the shot of Zodd is taken from when hes at the camp recieving orders from griffith. I mean it could also be a flashback to explain why hes there and the strategy involved (if there is one). But then again this is Miura were talking about and he can get VERY unpredictable.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
cajunman380 said:
Not to burst anyones bubble but has anyone considered the possibility that the shot of Zodd is taken from when hes at the camp recieving orders from griffith.

Yes, "Griffith no More!" and I considered it within 20 minutes of the preview being up. It's indeed a strong possibility, and it could be interesting in its own respect.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
4 more days..... the agony....

I'm hoping for more than a flashback of orders from Griffith in this episode(got it this time aaz ;)) though on the other hand I'd also like to know why he kept torpedo-ing Ganishka when it revealed no ill effect. Just can't wait >_<

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
cajunman380 said:
Not to burst anyones bubble but has anyone considered the possibility that the shot of Zodd is taken from when hes at the camp recieving orders from griffith. I mean it could also be a flashback to explain why hes there and the strategy involved (if there is one). But then again this is Miura were talking about and he can get VERY unpredictable.

This is no place for logic! Now is the time for wild, outlandish speculation! ;)

You're probably right though. The rational side of me knows that this preview is probably something fairly mundane from the *present* day (or recent past). But the fan side of me wants to believe in a dramatic flashback ever since the idea was first raised in the thread.

Sometimes, it's not easy to care so much... :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
cajunman380 said:
Not to burst anyones bubble but has anyone considered the possibility that the shot of Zodd is taken from when hes at the camp recieving orders from griffith.
It's a really stylized shot for it to just be "panel 1." The completely white background throws it off for it to be Griffith's camp. Unless it's some heated internal emotions going through Zodd at the moment, I don't see it happening?

Ya see what I did there? In the face of logic, I had a CONVICTION about what the episode will be, and I'll fall in a blaze of glory if I'm wrong. THAT'S speculation, old school. :void:

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
Walter said:
It's a really stylized shot for it to just be "panel 1." The completely white background throws it off for it to be Griffith's camp. Unless it's some heated internal emotions going through Zodd at the moment, I don't see it happening?

It does kind of look like one of those "very special moment" flashback and/or monologue scenes Miura throws at us every once and a while now that you mention it.

Ya see what I did there? In the face of logic, I had a CONVICTION about what the episode will be, and I'll fall in a blaze of glory if I'm wrong. THAT'S speculation, old school. :void:

That's just how we roll. :badbone:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:

Well, I think it could be anything and everything, and nothing will suprise me or be unexpected.

...I'm scared. :judo:

cajunman380 said:
That's OK it's really more of the ambiguity of the angle and shape of his head, that has some of us intrigued. I don't know if it is Zodd apostles at an odd angle or human Zodd, but it just strikes me at least that he looks different. I mean his nose most prominently has a bump at the end, where as it is normally straight. His hair seems shorter, the forehead doesn't stick out nearly as much and his ear seem far more proportioned to his head. The scar on his forehead sort of gives your view credit, but I like my wild dramatic take on that too.
Zodds.jpg

Well...That image could signify a lot of things. Zodd receiving orders from Griffith, obviously, which would mean a flashback...a flashback to Zodd's past, which is what I'm really hoping for...Zodd's death, which is the first thought I had when I saw the image. The posing of Zodd and the white background scream "farewell image" to me, but I don't think he's going to die.

Regarding the Zodd's Past flashback idea...I really do think that Zodd it Guts's father (I realize there is little basis for this, other than certain appearance similarities between Guts and Zodd and Guts's insane amount of strength), so this EPISODE could be an opportunity to start revealing that. Zodd could be looking at Guts as they both sink into the water and have a flashback explaining Guts's parentage...

Pure speculation, though, with no real basis. Probably incorrect.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I think Zodd is going to hurl Guts into Ganishka's forehead. Or Guts will hurl Serpico. They are the only decent human ammo around.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Serpico said:
I think Zodd is going to hurl Guts into Ganishka's forehead. Or Guts will hurl Serpico. They are the only decent human ammo around.

Sadly, as we've seen before, it would have no effect.  Oh well, do it enough and he might get bored and leave, right? :SK:

Based on the title of the episode, my wild speculation is that Zodd is perhaps questioning his whole life (mainly his USO choice), hence the flashback. The reckoning is driven from his treatment as a "Human Bullet" eg. disposable, possibly even by what he may know of Griffith (the Moonlight Child discussion). Hey it's wild, largely baseless and stretched, but I like it :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
kimchan said:
This is no place for logic! Now is the time for wild, outlandish speculation! ;)
coolerimmortal said:
I really do think that Zodd it Guts's father (I realize there is little basis for this...
vlad said:
Based on the title of the episode, my wild speculation is...
Whoooa, guys, guys, guys! Slow down! I said that if you have an idea have CONVICTION in it, not "here's what's on the top of my head right now, and I apologize in advance for its ludicrousness." I mean, you'll all have to live with these convictions, you know :guts: (God knows I've made my own speculation misjudgements...).

Anyway, Serpico and Vlad, regarding the "Human Bullet" ideas: Aaz said on page 1 that this is a very literal translation and subject to change.

Rhombaad said:
Sadly, as we've seen before, it would have no effect. Oh well, do it enough and he might get bored and leave, right? :SK:
Well, it's not that Zodd's efforts didn't have an effect on Ganishka. He'd already torn many gashes in Ganishka's form (page 16 has the best shots of this), but he and his cohorts got ZAPPED before they could do any lasting damage.

I don't care what the title means; If Zodd doesn't pick Guts up and launch him at Ganishka like a dart I will be severely disappointed. Actually, I'd like him to pick everyone in Gut's posse up and hurl them, just so we can see it happen 6 times over.

Miura better not let me down.

Record Low

1 person makes the difference
Now that I really think about it, the human bullet could very well be a person's nickname...say like the Black swordsman? My guess would be that zodd was as fast as a bullet...or maybe he was in the circus...

Many theorys could change in an instant. I guess, all we can do is wait and see...

TurpS

Time is limited, and mortaltiy inevitable
Hmm Could just be me but that shoulder pad he's wearing looks similar to one of the flash backs earlier in the series.

It was when Guts and the hawks were rescuing Griffith from the basement where the jailer mutilated Griffith. On the way down they talked about the time before Midland existed and there were many nomadic tribal battles for control between smaller tribes. One man united all the tribes into Mindland his name was something like Garnic or Gaunric or something like that (My berserk's at home so I can't look it up right now)

Everyone at the time seemed to think this uniting solider was the skull knight is it possibly zodd?
Probably way off but it seems the armor looks similar

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
wonderland reject said:
That's OK it's really more of the ambiguity of the angle and shape of his head, that has some of us intrigued.

I don't think that means much honestly. It's a matter of design, like for the armor, the fact it looks oh so slightly different doesn't mean it went through a fundamental change. Zodd's face has evolved quite a bit over the year, so I don't think you should rest your hypotheses on subjective elements like the length of his hair or ears. Same for the seemingly bigger than usual bump on his nose, it could be completely accidental.

Zodd-face.jpg

coolerimmortal said:
I really do think that Zodd it Guts's father (I realize there is little basis for this, other than certain appearance similarities between Guts and Zodd and Guts's insane amount of strength)

More like no basis at all. They both have a similar looking black and spiky hair. I just say similar looking because they're still somehow different. And the pointy ears, Guts' are different in shape and human looking (like Gambino's), and a lot of apostles have those anyway (like the Snail Count...). It doesn't mean much and if anything Guts' ears are closer to many characters than to Zodd's. As for his strength, he gained it through intense physical training, it wasn't innate strength like that of an apostle. And he had no supernatural characteristic in his youth either.

I know you were just throwing the idea out there again but it's been discussed so many times that without a new element to seriously hint at the idea, it's better left sleeping.

Walter said:
Well, it's not that Zodd's efforts didn't have an effect on Ganishka. He'd already torn many gashes in Ganishka's form (page 16 has the best shots of this), but he and his cohorts got ZAPPED before they could do any lasting damage.

In fact on their final assault he and the other apostles even completely tore him off. Then he formed a giant cloud.

Record Low said:
Now that I really think about it, the human bullet could very well be a person's nickname...say like the Black swordsman? My guess would be that zodd was as fast as a bullet...or maybe he was in the circus...

Do you people even read the thread at all? Seriously, don't ignore what others are saying please. This translation of the title is literal, it's not a big indication of anything. First off it doesn't have to be specifically "human," as in "not an apostle." Second it refers to fighting without a weapon, using one's own body. It's used in Japan when people have fistfights. Third, its connotation is more or less that of a desperate move. It's probably a reference to the fact Zodd attacked Ganishka's fog form using his body as a weapon by flying through him and tearing holes in the mist. Of course there could be a pun or a double meaning (and it could even refer to something else entirely, who knows) but please don't start speculating about a circus attraction out of nowhere... Anyway we'll really have to see the episode to be sure of know to translate the title, so don't take it too seriously for now.

TurpS said:
his name was something like Garnic or Gaunric or something like that

It's Gaiseric, and no, I wouldn't say that his pauldrons look very similar save for the random "monster" aspect. Besides it's really unlikely that he's Zodd.

Gaiseric.jpg

TurpS

Time is limited, and mortaltiy inevitable
If you say so, I've read your comments before there always dead right. Twas a mere suggestion, but damn I didn't even know pauldron was a word had to look that up not bad :carcus:

Aazealh said:
I don't think that means much honestly. It's a matter of design, like for the armor, the fact it looks oh so slightly different doesn't mean it went through a fundamental change. Zodd's face has evolved quite a bit over the year, so I don't think you should rest your hypotheses on subjective elements like the length of his hair or ears. Same for the seemingly bigger than usual bump on his nose, it could be completely accidental.
I'm perfectly fine with that and I know it could very easy be that it is just a matter of design or accident. Perhaps it's the thrill of the new preview after a month of waiting that has my mind sparked with possibilities and a want for it to be big.

p.s. did it take long to get those Zodd's? I just went to Vol 26.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
wonderland reject said:
did it take long to get those Zodd's? I just went to Vol 26.

You mean the pictures of his face? Just a few minutes, I chose a few random ones from various volumes (5, 23, 26) to illustrate the nuances in his design.

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
I can't add anything more when it comes to ideas of what's going to happen, but I know the wait is going to end up killing me. 

Serpico said:

I'd also like to see the speculation of human ammo actually put to use, since I imagine chucking Guts at anything is bound to leave one serious dent. :carcus:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom