Episode 277

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Thanks sooo much!  :beast: I'm salivating for crying out loud!

Psymont 2.0 said:
perhaps if taken from guts it loses its special properties... what dya think?

Personally I don't think it would matter. But for it to get stronger it would have to be weilded by someone who could get ethreal bodies to appear to them as flesh, so they could be cut down.

Malachai said:
is the DS the only blade that could've hurt ganishka, or do the elemental type weapons also have this property?(probably not now that i think about it...)

Well, I would like to think the Dragonslayer is in a league of it's own... but I doubt any of them had the power to do it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Psymont 2.0 said:
hmm... did they know of the ds' power? zodd apparently didnt... what about griff?

If Schierke can notice the DS' aura, then it's plausible to assume than so can Griffith, as a member of the God Hand. However I don't think anybody else knew (well besides Slan since she tasted it, and SK that always knows everything it seems), certainly not the apostles.

Psymont 2.0 said:
will they try to take the ds now?

I don't think "they" will.

Psymont 2.0 said:
can it even be taken? perhaps if taken from guts it loses its special properties...

I don't believe its properties are linked to Guts like that. It's still just a sword, even if it's awesome.

Malachai said:
is the DS the only blade that could've hurt ganishka, or do the elemental type weapons also have this property?

I don't think conventional elemental weapons could have done it, because they don't impact the astral world deep enough. Rather they use elementals to create a reaction on the material world. Not sure it's clear. But anyway we can't really be sure about it for now, we don't have enough information on the subject.

Abstraction said:
But for it to get stronger it would have to be weilded by someone who could get ethreal bodies to appear to them as flesh, so they could be cut down.

Not necessarily, I'm sure apostles would do.

scroto

Mmm....You don't say?
HOLY CRAP!!!! That has to be my new favorite Episode with Guts and Zodd!!! Guts is riding around on his back posting the DS straight ahead like a knights lance and flying at Ganishka...awesome!! I want that two page spread when Guts and Zodd fly through as a one big image! Can anyone help me with that.

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Aazealh said:
Not necessarily, I'm sure apostles would do.

True... I guess it doesn't matter now, with the merger. (cause ethreal trolls were running around in the physical world)

scroto said:
I want that two page spread when Guts and Zodd fly through as a one big image! Can anyone help me with that.

Lets start here (black and white)

I'm gonna color it this weekend... so monday I'll post a finished piece.

mahlernut said:
It's a fair point, and open for some discussion. Sonya refers to Guts as being Zodd's 憧れの人 (akogare no hito). Akogare can indicate a thing dreamed of, admired, desired, pursued, etc... Given Zodd's confused reaction, but also considering that he doesn't counter (as might be the case if she'd said "the person you dream of" or "the person you pursue") that he's already found this person (Griffith), and considering that Zodd's always been impressed with Guts and eager for the prospect of an uninterrupted fight, I thought "admire" fit the sense well. Saiki, Puella, or one of the other Japanese-speakers around here could surely offer some insight as well.

Sorry to pull this all the way from page 5, but I could not help myself. Sonia is probably saying (unintentionally most likely) that Guts is the ultimate strong one, hence the desired/pursued etc. Perhaps (if Zodd realizes this) this could be the beginning of Zodd's change of heart of who he will decide to serve? I mean we have all ready seen Zodd and Guts make a great team.

BiQ_

" ... "
Sorry, I don't really have much more to say (yet I cannot resist) about this episode but...

MADE OF GOLD AND WIN!

(even more so than usually.)

That is all.

And thanks to SaiyajinNoOuji for the scans!

mahlernut

I call the big one Bitey!
DemonX v.2.0 said:
Sorry to pull this all the way from page 5, but I could not help myself. Sonia is probably saying (unintentionally most likely) that Guts is the ultimate strong one, hence the desired/pursued etc. Perhaps (if Zodd realizes this) this could be the beginning of Zodd's change of heart of who he will decide to serve? I mean we have all ready seen Zodd and Guts make a great team.

Well, it definitely wasn't how I read it (which is why the possible translations you cite are the ones I intentionally didn't use), but I can't say it's impossible. It's possible that the choice of words (憧れ) in this context seals the deal, and I just didn't catch it because of an imperfect understanding of the thing. I will say, though, that the word that's always been used in conjunction with Zodd's desire (and for everyone else's, following the big shared dream) is 求める (motomeru), not 憧れる (akogareru), which is one of the factors that led me to try to find a word that didn't suggest that Guts was somehow a truer representation of Zodd's goal than Griffith.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DemonX v.2.0 said:
Sonia is probably saying (unintentionally most likely) that Guts is the ultimate strong one, hence the desired/pursued etc.

Nah, I really don't think so. Like I said earlier it's more about Zodd's desire to cross blades with him than anything else. Besides he's found the USO already, and that USO was really overwhelmingly stronger than him, unlike Guts. Otherwise Zodd would be serving (not teaming up with) a man that isn't as strong as him... Way to go. Why not SK then? And do you see Guts accepting it anyway? The first thing he thought of in this episode was to cut Zodd's head, and he really only refrained from doing it so he could take care of Ganishka. The fact we've seen a great team-up between them this time actually makes me think that we won't get another one.

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Aazealh said:
Well, a lot of things can pass through fog you know, since it's gaseous. In fact I don't remember anybody saying the contrary. Now you seem to either be a bit mistaken or unable to express yourself correctly here, or both. What Guts actually did was to hit Ganishka's astral body with the DS, like a spear. Randomly hacking at the fog itself would be useless.

It's true enough that without Schierke's help in pointing out the "Achilles Heel" in the astral form of Ganshka, all slashing in the world wouldn't have done much. Still, fact is that the weapon provde to be a weapon that, if correctly applied, had the ability to hurt his current form and that was my point :).

[quote author=Aazealh]The interesting and novel part in all of this though is that the Dragon Slayer seems to be able to reach pretty deep in the astral world, at least deep enough to damage him. This makes for some interesting possibilities in the future.[/quote]

*nods* it opens for some interesting speculations, indeed :D.

[quote author=Aazealh]The fact we've seen a great team-up between them this time actually makes me think that we won't get another one. [/quote]

Agreed on that. They're enemies, not drinking-buddies ;D. What we've seen here, I believe, is the exception that proves the rule. They had a common enemy who wanted to fry'em. Neither could've won on his own. Thus team-work was necressarilly. I suspect they'll part ways. Guts should want to leave ASAP before the city becomes even more chaotic than it already is - and Zood will probably just for this once look the other way while Guts & co leaves...

Small stuff:
Hmm, Zodd has a sort of odd look in his eyes when he says "It is as you saw - nothing can cut the mist" Hmm, not often he meets an opponent who is out of his leauge, ne? :carcus:

Ganishka defintively doens't seem happy - I wonder if he'll go as far as to seek to extract revenge on Guts & Co somehow...

I dont believe Ganishka was hurt in any extreme, except possibly his pride, and I doubt he'd let that be known. He's probably just reeling from the fact that a human could have that kind of effect on his almighty fog form when apostles fell to him like flies.

Begemot

STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!
I suspect Ganishka has a nasty headache from the feedback.

But he looks more pissed than injured, though it's hard to tell, it looks like mist is coming out of where the wound would be, so perhaps he might have had his beauty marred by a resulting facial scar.

But this is all just speculation.

S

smoke

Really cool ep. Like everybody else said, loved the action and character interactions. But one thing bothers me...

...did Grunbeld shrink? :griff:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
smoke said:
...did Grunbeld shrink?

It's more like he's constantly undulating throughout the series. We know for sure that he's somewhere between 7 and 50 feet tall. =)

Maybe Locus is on his horse? ;D

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
it's true,................... strange :carcus:

the first pages aren't as beautiful as the rest of the EPISODE, but the style with no background is interesting

Grunbeld survived... Serious I wonder if Flora did really attack him... And btw was there suppose to be a scar inflicted by Guts on his face or something

After how tough it is to take down Ganishka magic fog... I really wonder how powerful is he... I mean the true power he is capable of...

Would Guts & Zodd have won if Ganishka came down personally to challenge them?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Episode said:
Still, fact is that the weapon provde to be a weapon that, if correctly applied, had the ability to hurt his current form and that was my point

Well yes, that much is evident, but like I said earlier I think you had worded your point incorrectly.

Woland said:
I suspect Ganishka has a nasty headache from the feedback.

But he looks more pissed than injured, though it's hard to tell, it looks like mist is coming out of where the wound would be, so perhaps he might have had his beauty marred by a resulting facial scar.

Yeah, it probably hurts quite a bit but it's not an injury. I'm not even sure he'll have a scar, since it's his spirit that got hit.

Pesmerga said:
the first pages aren't as beautiful as the rest of the EPISODE, but the style with no background is interesting

They give off a weird vibe yeah, and I don't think that has anything to do with the fact there's no background drawn (it's not like Miura's never done this before). Interestingly enough, they look better to me when they're at full size and not reduced.

Smith said:
Grunbeld survived... Serious I wonder if Flora did really attack him... And btw was there suppose to be a scar inflicted by Guts on his face or something

There was never really any doubt that Grunberd had survived... Flora didn't attack him, she just blocked his path by creating some kind of wall of flames. As for the scar on his face, it's just some supposition I did back then after episode 229 was released, it was never meant to be a prediction of things that would definitely happen (just a cool idea that had occurred to me).

Aazealh said:
He'll probably have some badass scar on his face from now on, just to keep reminding him how much he wants revenge.

Apostles all have regenerative powers, so Grunberd simply didn't keep any mark of the minor damage Guts inflicted him. It's not really surprising.

Smith said:
After how tough it is to take down Ganishka magic fog... I really wonder how powerful is he... I mean the true power he is capable of...

I doubt that fog form of his is the least of what he can do, so I don't expect him to be so much more powerful in person. If anything, it's a good example of how magic typically works (attacking remotely while your body is vulnerable) and doesn't tend to indicate that Ganishka's strength would increase tenfolds if he was there himself.

Since we're talking about the first few pages of the episode and Grunberd, I couldn't help but smile at his dialogue with Locus concerning Zodd. He reminded me of Isidro talking about Guts: "Are you kidding? This guy's invincible, he can kill thousands of soldiers by himself!" It's almost like Zodd is his childhood hero or something. Just wanted to point this out since I found it cool. Also, Locus doesn't seem to be underestimating Ganishka after what he's seen of him in Wyndham.

xbigvmanx

Gutz is a Bad azz
scroto said:
I want that two page spread when Guts and Zodd fly through as a one big image! Can anyone help me with that.

Here ya go

277-16-17.jpg

That shot would is up their in the running for favorite two page spreads. I love the one where Guts is just slicing through all the trolls in Volume 26.

scroto

Mmm....You don't say?
Thanks Abstraction and xbigvmanx!!!

I have A new Desktop!!!

Can't wait for the colored images!!! :guts:

Demented Swordsman

so I pranked him.. to death with a tire iron!
Aazealh said:
Yeah, it probably hurts quite a bit but it's not an injury. I'm not even sure he'll have a scar, since it's his spirit that got hit.
I'm curious to see how this plays out. If he's going to be weakened in any way concerning his astral form. Not to the extent of Guts' own chest wound, but in a way that effects his powers.

What you said below is what sparked my interest in that possibility:
Aazealh said:
I doubt that fog form of his is the least of what he can do, so I don't expect him to be so much more powerful in person. If anything, it's a good example of how magic typically works (attacking remotely while your body is vulnerable) and doesn't tend to indicate that Ganishka's strength would increase tenfolds if he was there himself.
So in essence, what I really wonder is if he has to rely on some sort of physical projection of his powers rather than astral.(if he has any)

Aazealh said:
Since we're talking about the first few pages of the episode and Grunberd, I couldn't help but smile at his dialogue with Locus concerning Zodd. He reminded me of Isidro talking about Guts: "Are you kidding? This guy's invincible, he can kill thousands of soldiers by himself!" It's almost like Zodd is his childhood hero or something. Just wanted to point this out since I found it cool. Also, Locus doesn't seem to be underestimating Ganishka after what he's seen of him in Wyndham.
I, too, found it strange and fitting that Grunberd revere's Zodd. He has a similar attitude towards battle, but I liked the contrast to that attitude that Locus provided. Cautious and bit weary of Zodd's own power being able to counter that of Ganishka's.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
C. Walken said:
I'm curious to see how this plays out. If he's going to be weakened in any way concerning his astral form. Not to the extent of Guts' own chest wound, but in a way that effects his powers.

Hmm I don't think it will personally.

C. Walken said:
what I really wonder is if he has to rely on some sort of physical projection of his powers rather than astral.(if he has any)

I'm not sure I get what you mean here. Ganishka projects his astral body on the fog basically, is that what you're wondering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom