How did you get into Berserk?

Guttz

dananananana....BAT-MAN!!!!
(Hey, wazup. Im the new guy)

The first time i found out about Berserk was at...

Blockbuster. i was looking through the anime section and saw Berserk. The cover looked cool and well(always judge a book by its cover ;)) and that was it i bought all 6 volumes then after i was done with that i wanted to know what happens next. I started browsing the web and found out about the Manga then started collecting them.

There ya have it.

Nomad said:
1997... saw a few issues...

I didnt know you knew about it before the anime?!

Nomad said:
anime came out... me like

me like it too... a lot...

I am guilty of being there that fatefull night when Nomad, some friends and I saw the vcds a friend of ours got. That was like late 98 early 99...

MMMMM Fansubs... *drools*

Nomad said:
came to sk.net... (back in the scan's days)

Heard about SK.net from Nomad two years back, came in and registered... made three shitty posts and left...
got bored 3 or 4 weeks back and decided to come back to see whats up with berserk. (And PM Nomad)

Here I am.

Guess I was too lazy (and wishfull for a second tv season) to pay attention to the manga up until recently.

conan

Until next time...
I think I stumbled upon Berserk in an odd way...

I was overseas (deployed) in 2001 as a US Marine and in Singapore saw an action figure I'd never seen before. I found the Guts Hawk Soldier Boxed figure available on HLJ.com and had my wife buy it, repack it, and send it to me while I was still deployed.

I didn't know anything about the figure except that it was AWESOME! I reviewed it for www.Figures.com, and they liked the review so much, they hired me to be a reviewer/reporter.

I then picked up a set of fansubbed VHS tapes from a college buddy, found this site and Articnightfall.com and continued to collect, watch, and read berserk. Didn't knwo about the manga until last year, when I bought the full set (1-26) off of Ebay Japan.

I know have almost ALL of the action figures, including the HTF Zoddo Monster PVC, and the Branded Box Guts.
I have over 15 different Guts figures (variants galore!), and, though they are not all on display, I have four always up: the orignal Guts black swordsman with ball jointed neck (calm face) and four daggers on chest, the calm face Guts Millinium Falcon (swivel neck) w/ five daggers on his chest (I only have three in though :)), Hawk Soldier Guts (red cape), and the new PVC "Battle Damaged Guts statue, which is, IMO, by far the best PVC statue you can get for less than $45.oo ANYWHERE! The amount of detail, paint application, and pose of that figure are AMAZING! Now if they'd only make a "Lost Children" PVC statue, I'd be in heaven!!

I found out about berserk from word of mouth from a few friends. They described beserk so beautifully so i had to watch the anime i eventually got around to watching the whole anime and was very impressed then i went around hunting for the manga and been in love with the series ever since then thus that is my story

i was at an FYE on my usual weekend anime splurge since i just got my paycheck and i saw the berserk boxset so i bought it after i watched it i wanted to know what happened next so i spent three days trying to get the whole story i bought all the Japanese import manga from animenation (look I've sunk to name dropping) then they started to realese them stateside Berserk is seriously like crack i'm still havin difficulties trying to get a complete compenidum of translations toghether on my computer though the sites only have various translations.

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
I first came across Berserk by chance. I was trying to find a good anime to watch, so I regularly went to eBay to find something. I come across someone selling a collection of their anime, including 5 series, and three of the five I already had. I sold the three I had to a friend, only to find after I won the bid that the seller was refusing to sell it to me.

I decided that I at least needed the series I lost back, so I had to search eBay again. I came across another lot of DVDs, including two of the three series I had lost, and the first five DVD's of Berserk. I bought it for cheaper than I sold mine for to begin with.

So I got around to watching the first disc, and I wasn't too impressed. But the next day I watched the second, I had to see what happened next, how this assassination was going to go about. This made me watch the third, then the fourth, and then the fifth all in the same night. Quickly making me purchase the sixth volume from the mall. After watching it and seeing the ending I had to find out more.

I came across arctic nightfall, then the Hawks, and I began to read. I became addicted. After continuing to find more knowledge on berserk, I found this site. My addiction made my collection grow, collecting the manga, artbooks, video games, action figures, a secondary set of the anime from media works, and even a AoW statue.

Now I am just trying to get some of my friends hooked to it, by letting them borrow one of my DVD sets.

Well that's a good example of how important the anime is Headless. That is basically the same way I was hooked, absorbed by the anime only to find the manga and all the rest. ;D

- C

Headless_Death

u/QuartetGhent
Damage Control said:
Well that's a good example of how important the anime is Headless. That is basically the same way I was hooked, absorbed by the anime only to find the manga and all the rest. ;D
- C
Yet at the same time, if the anime hadn't ended where it did, leaving me hanging and edging for more. I probably wouldn't have bothered to search for more.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
jp said:
Dreamcast game...

ive been hooked ever since. :)

Similar with me, because in the credits it said "Based on the comic (something something) young animal"
but I never did find the comic or anime until about a year ago when looking up some stuff about the game again. When I'd first played the DC game I guess berserk didn't have much of a US fanbase (it was about 4 or 5 years ago, I dont remember exactly).

I have the anime on box set, and the full comic (well almost completely up to date) in fan scan translation. I also own the first volume hard copy english, courtesy of DH, and a beheilt pendant courtesy of AoW(on amazon.com).

I am glad to have found it. It's a great series.

Heh, a new guy here.

Well, I had just gotten a dvd player and was browsing the anime in a video rental place near my home. When I saw berserk, I thought it was dis super-dark, occult, evil anime, lol. But, I read some reviews and decided to give it a try. I rented the first two volumes and fell in love with it. I then began reading the manga and my friend burned the rest of the anime for me. And now, Berserk is my favorite series of all time. (although most otaku people I know haven't heard of it, or don't like it because it's too graphic for them >:()

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Void Swordsman said:
I then began reading the manga and my friend burned the rest of the anime for me.
You have a true friend. Oh-OH you mean burned onto DISC. Well... that's a different matter entirely.

davedapunk

I am Zodd...you are dead.
About a year ago i was just getting into anime and had some money to burn...so looked up anime on eBay and randomly chose Berserk (among others)...it was the best thing i'd ever seen and i've been hooked ever since.

I was home sick with the flu, when someone lent me the first 3 or 4 DVD’s. After that I was absolutely addicted. I have always been a fan of the older anime's like Akira and Fist of the North Star. But as soon as I put it on I was hooked waiting for every date for the next DVD to drop. And as soon as the season ended, (much like a lot of other people) I went crazy looking for any info on the second season. Then I found SkullKnight.net, Learned about the manga. And now I'm addicted to the manga lol. And I have to add it is the best Anime that I have ever seen to date.

Tristram

100% Germ Free Manure
Walter said:
You have a true friend. Oh-OH you mean burned onto DISC. Well... that's a different matter entirely.

I've thought about burning the show. I didn't like it that much.

FWOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

I was lookin at a couple of music videos under Blind Guardian (My Favourite band :serpico:) and I saw this anime in the MV called Berserk, I was super impressed. Then I moved onto more Berserk MV's and I knew that this anime just Fucking rocked!

I eventually moved onto the episodes. A friend of mine mentioned me this Download system called Limewire and I found Berserk Episodes, Problem was. they were all Subtitled. Either way I watched them from 1 to 25. But I will find out how the dubbed version sounds like when I get the DVD

I then Discovered the manga later on, Pretty good stuff too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
I eventually moved onto the episodes. A friend of mine mentioned me this Download system called Limewire and I found Berserk Episodes, Problem was. they were all Subtitled. Either way I watched them from 1 to 25.
Fuck you.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Hmm.. Well, I was looking through a catalog for different "graphic Novels" and one caught my eye; Of course, it was Berserk. This was back with the release of the first DH release, and I ordered it. Was hooked, and have been ordering each one since.

I didn't look on the net much about Berserk until recently when the series really started to heat up. I found out there was an Anime, bought it awhile after, watched it. I thought it was good, but since I had read the manga first I caught on to the things left out. I decided to look around for places where I could have some of my questions answered about Berserk, and now im here.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
hum i think i got into berserk a year and half ago.. one of my friend talked to me about the episodes a couple of months before i got into them..i told him i'd checked them out eventually. then i bought the first two discs before watching them (i took a chance) and i liked it a lot so i picked up the other discs to later learn it came from the manga! then i discovered that dark horse had released the first 3 vol. i bought them and well now im stick here after finding the website, losing it , finding it again... so now im waiting for the newest release on dh every few month and well im reading the newest episodes here while waiting for the in-between..

Caught a few eps of the anime at Otakon in 99 or 2000. Got the fansubs. Loved it. (don't worry I bought the dvds once they finally came out) Bought the Japanese manga and translations loved it more than the anime.

Top Bottom