How did you get into Berserk?

My friend mentioned the series, thought i'd give it a try and now im hooked, i bought the whole season of the dvd's off of ebay and now im buying the manga, and joined this website....(if u know of a good berserk website, send me a message please.!) :guts:

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Twilight Reign said:
My friend mentioned the series, thought i'd give it a try and now im hooked, i bought the whole season of the dvd's off of ebay and now im buying the manga, and joined this website....(if u know of a good berserk website, send me a message please.!) :guts:

Skullknight.net ;) seriously, SK is the best (english) Berserk info site out there... Some people enjoy "The Hawks" but personally, I find them to be much too childish and not to mention their translations are pretty bad. I say just stick with SK.Net :)

welcome to the forums by the way!

S

Some Guy

I watched it when it first came out on DVD in the US (some 3 years ago) And thought it sucked after the first episode, though I was laughing my head off at the seemingly comical way Guts dispatched his foes and continued to do so up until episode 25. But after watching the surprisingly interesting duel with Griffith and Gut's appalling upbringing, I realized that this was actually getting good and the more I watched the more interesting the characters grew to be.

Then came the the Eclipse, the most interesting segment, which featured a world only hinted at in the previous episodes. I was hooked right up until Guts gave his desparate cry before a short cut of Guts leaving Godo's place. I was aghast. I HAD to know if Guts would survive and the fate of Casca (and if it could stay interesting without carcus :troll:)

Then lo and behold, I found out about the manga and have been hooked ever since :beast:

5 or 6 years ago there was some conversation about anime in some IRC channel and someone mentioned Berserk and described it in some way that I couldn't resist :p
After that I downloaded some low quality episode 1 and was completely hooked because it was probably the coolest thing I had ever seen.
Then I downloaded the whole 25 episodes and watched them all almost without pauses because I just couldn't stop. Then around 4 AM when the last episode finished I sat there for about half an hour wondering how could this end like that.
Next day I seached more info from the internet and found out about the manga and so on.
That's my brief Berserk history

Well i was looking for some anime DVD's in site similiar to E-Bay and i saw there a "Berserk Collectors Edition". Did a little research on a Anime website and read the description of Berserk :"a great warrior bla bla bla"..
I bought the set and saw all the episodes in 2 days! After the last episode i was so pissed off for a week.. After banging my head to the walls screaming "THERE AS TO BE MORE THAN THIS!! GWAAHA!" I did a Google search and found that nice site that posts the Volumes week by week. After that i found YOU GUYS! :guts: :guts: :guts: I wuv u guys

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I got bitten by the Berserk bug back when I saw a preview for the PS2 game at E3 2004 or so (perhaps earlier). While there were no pictures, It sounded totaly awesome, so I did some research. I found a fan site somewhere and discovered the series had a rape scene in it, which scared me off for a while. I kinda forgot about it after that.

Later, I got lucky and found a trailer for the PS2 game from the Tokyo Game Show, which blew me away and renewed my interest. I pestered Sammy Studios about bringing the game over to the US (never worked) and rented the anime and watched it. I eventually got the whole anime series, and then moved to the manga. After reading the first two volumes, I was irrevocably hooked. I then downloaded and read the Hawks' stolen scanlations, and began lurking on SK.net, where I discovered how craptastic The Hawks were (and got educated on all the scanlation errors). I witnessed the fall of Oliver, and a few months after that registered and started posting. So here I am.

After I ended reading all current chapters of Gantz, and Battle Royale i was desperately looking for some gory, action packed manga... On some forums i found description of some dark fantasy manga about huge dude with even bigger sword.
I downloaded some volumes thinking "probably it will be lame... 2m long sword? Have mercy!"
I read first volume...

Addiction...

Dark Wanderer

I'm evil :p
Several years ago I discovered anime/manga and back then, there was also this guy who prvided me with fansubs. Berserk was one of those he recommended and he sent me episode 1-16 - which was all he had back thne - and althorugh I wasn't impressed after watching the first episode (most I've meet who've watched the first episode hasn't been), after watching episode 2-5 or so, I was hooked and watched through it all. Later I also watched the remaining episodes and found this board too (found this board at about the same time as the events in Albion took place). Even later, I started to learn japanese, for the reason of wanting more access to japanese stuff of all sorts and thus also picked up vol 1-29 (over time) at a local japanese bookstore. The rest is as we say, history :).

Raziel

"Each man is haunted until his humanity awakens."
My first introduction to Berserk was through a review of the Dreamcast game in EGM magazine (I'm a big gaming fan too).  Looking at the screencaps from the game and the brief article I already knew that this game was something I could definitely get into.  But it wasn't until later on when I rented the first anime DVD, upon hearing that it was awesome from so many other people, was I truly hooked.

Soon after finishing the anime series I was overcome with the desire for more Berserk since the anime left off so abruptly.  So I went in search of the original manga series that the anime had been based off of and started reading the series like an addict.  Needless to say I've been hooked on the series ever since, and with the dark storyline, blood, gore, beautiful artwork and medieval themes (I'm also a medieval nut) there was little wonder why.

S

smoke

My friends kept talking about this manga that was totally fucked up but totally awesome, and I assumed they were just talking it up so they could feel like they were part of something exclusive that I didn't know about.

And I watched the anime and thought "Hey, that was pretty cool. The ending was fucked up. I wonder what happens next."

So then I read the manga and I was like "Jumping Jesus, this is magnificent!" And I read something like eight volumes that same night. And I've been a big fan since! :-o!

My friends told me a few good things about Guts but never any details about the storyline. I went to Best Buy wanting to buy a DvD and saw Berserk, so I bought it at risk and loved it. Later on I showed all my friends the episodes and they loved it too. :guts:

Record Low

1 person makes the difference
oh jeez... lets see... around 1998-99 I played sword of the berserk it was a fun game for hack and slash...then 2001 i watched Berserk not even noticing the relation until i finished the first episode...i went back to re play Guts' rage on the dc and finished the rest of the berserk... and ive been online obsessed with the world of berserk...not until 2003 that i found this site... but even then i didnt register... i got episode 4-26 and then through out time i downloaded the rest...and ive been buy all the mangas from this little book shop that sells manga and anime 2 blocks from my house...and will i guess its been easy to be a berserk fan....at least for me...and ive joined here about end of the summer of 05...and now its been almost a year since ive been registered... :serpico:

I'd just watched an anime movie Perfect Dark, and was looking up theories about it on the internet (its a very confusing movie at first), and i stumbled upon a forum where people were discussing the most violent anime they'd seen. Perfect Dark was in there, and i saw that this series Berserk was mentioned constantly, and that it was also a very well-done series with character development and everything. I examined the series further, watched it, loved it, and then turned to the manga because of the animes ending. And here i am now :SK:

KuroKenshi

ready for Today's sermon??
back in 2002 my friend told me i should see it but didnt mention any details. well he moved away before he could let me borrow it, and one day same year  i was in blockbuster and i saw vol.2 there cause someone had stolen volume one(didnt bring it back) :guts: i liked it immediately after seeing it, ive been a fan ever since. the funny thing is when i finally saw volume one i was like what the hell happened to guts! since i was up to volume 4 at the time. :serpico: i didnt think i was missing anything by skipping the first volume. :troll:

D

Death Can Wait

My discovery of Berserk was very recent (march/april) yet my "awareness" of it is fairly old. Obviously, I guess like most people, you only hear about how "violent!" and "EXTREME" it is, so if you're not the one to value something just going for shock value you steer clear. But I took a gamble and what a pleasant surprise. I find it hard sometimes to recruit other berserk fans because some are against the whole rape-ish things (Even with great story), yet I do try to raise awareness. I personally have all the current scans and the like and finally bought the first dark horse volume. Its just that (no offense and no revelation to myself yet) $14 freaking bucks per manga is a fucking lot. I seriously plan on getting the whole collection but should DHM get to where the manga is, that's $450 excluding any other things I wish to buy. I know I'll at least get up to 20, but when is another ordeal.

Death Can Wait said:
I find it hard sometimes to recruit other berserk fans because some are against the whole rape-ish things (Even with great story), yet I do try to raise awareness.

I feel you on that. Whenever i show people Berserk, all they see in it is the rape scenes and they condemn it. Its very depressing sometimes.

My story begins, on a rainy night. About, 6 or so years ago, I rented the first dvd on a whim from the local Hastings *book, cd, video / rental store* And I kinda liked it, but I had to continue with the story. They only had up to about episode 15 or so in discs...I was stuck right in the middle of the anime with no continuation in sight. So I have to drop it for about, 2-3 years, where I meet a new friend. And he starts going on about Berserk, and I was all like, "Holy shit, you know about berserk?" "It's only one of the brutalist manga's out there." "Oh shit, IT'S A MANGA!?"

I was a complete manga / anime noob back then, and he helped show me the way :( Been with it ever since.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
kite_ai said:
My story begins, on a rainy night.  About, 6 or so years ago, I rented the first dvd on a whim from the local Hastings *book, cd, video / rental store*  And I kinda liked it, but I had to continue with the story.  They only had up to about episode 15 or so in discs...I was stuck right in the middle of the anime with no continuation in sight.  So I have to drop it for about, 2-3 years...

Whoaman, up till this point the story of how you got into Berserk is almost identical to mine. Only I didn't have a friend who had read the manga. I'm all by myself because everyone else I know thinks decaptiated heads and entrails are too gross. Wusses, bwahaha! :badbone:

Oburi

All praise Grail
How did you get into Berserk?
I was in best buy looking around for cool anime, I might have been 13, and I thought the cover art for Berserk was cool so I bought the first three dvd's. The halfway through the first one the dvd skipped. I brought them all back the next day. About a year later I just bought the box set, watched it, loved it, had to have more and so I started buying the manga and reading the rest online. I've gotton allot of my friends into it and I'm now planning on gettinga tattoo. quick question- Has anyone else had more problems with anime dvd's specifically media blasters?

Grail said:
Whoaman, up till this point the story of how you got into Berserk is almost identical to mine. Only I didn't have a friend who had read the manga. I'm all by myself because everyone else I know thinks decaptiated heads and entrails are too gross. Wusses, bwahaha! :badbone:

yeah,I mean how scary can drawings of gore be anyway.

for me it was the anime that got me started, then the desire to know what happened after the eclipse led me to the manga and I m hooked.

Dirty Dog

I got into it because "Berserker Gatt(so it wont fix it >.<)su" was my "anime legend" result from the crappy guru.theotaku.com quizzes. Naturally I was a little interested. :p

I went to see my little brother and he bought Sword of the Berserk from the local flea market so played it, then i did some research and i found out there was a whole anime, manga and FREAKIN FAN CLUB I rented the anime then downloaded the first voulme of the magna and I was like WOAH so I started buying the dvds then a statue of guts then one of judeau then I found out i lost my dog my cats and my girlfriend to berserk but It was worth becoming a addict to the best goddamn series ever!!! :guts: :zodd: :guts:

de99ial

de99ial
5 years ago my buddy gave me a anime series. When I started watching I couldn't stop - I had to watch it to the end.

A few weeks later I got the manga - Unfortunately in my country it's not published (Poland sucks) so I had to download a fansub.

It got me.

Top Bottom