How did you get into Berserk?

Long long time ago when I was still young and handsome (now I'm only handsome) me and my friend found out about the beautiful world of manga scanlations. We didn't have internet connection at home back then so we were making long walks to the not-so-nearby internet cafe with our removable hard drives (that kept me fit as well - I was young, fit and handsome). We were dowloading a lot of stuff and then sharing tales of our spoils and findings the next day. One day my friend told me about this great "Berserk" manga he just read:
-What's it about? - I asked
-It's about a dude with a giant sword like Cloud from FF who slays demons.
-Oh....Kaaaay....
-No, It's really awesome (and then he started talking about the story and basically SPOILED everything including the eclpise).
He didn't convince me.
A while after our talk I got to downloading Berserk manga and fell completely in love with it. Luckily, by the time I got to read it I forgot all the spoilers. I think it took me 2 nigths to read the whole material available at that time. Then I re-read it again.

Then I found a couple Japanese volumes cheap on local Polish auction site and I bought them. Then I bought some more. Then I sold all of them and got the MBR volumes (I just like bigger books which can be easily wielded as weapons). I also managed to get the artbook and recently the remastered DVD Recently a local publisher released Japan and Legend of the Wolf King so I got these as well. Hopefully they'll release Berserk as well.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Back in 2004, I was rummaging through some anime at my local Best Buy and saw the Art of War boxed set. I picked it up and, immediately after finishing it, went out and bought the manga that was available.

About six years ago I found a CD case in the middle of the road, and found a bunch of scratched DVDs, CDs and PS2 games. Some weren't badly scratched, and one was a Berserk DVD. It only had a few episodes towards the end of the series, and even though I thought it was cool I didn't know what the heck was going on.

Then I watched the full series, and someone commented that the last episode isn't even the end of the series. I was hesitant to read the manga, because the series isn't completed yet and is as old as I am, but I wanted to see more Guts/Casca action. So now I'm finished with volume 30 and looking for 31.

I'd rather see action in anime form rather than in manga, but it's still my favorite series of all time.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to SKnet :void:

the Astral Waterlily said:
About six years ago I found a CD case in the middle of the road, and found a bunch of scratched DVDs, CDs and PS2 games. Some weren't badly scratched, and one was a Berserk DVD. It only had a few episodes towards the end of the series, and even though I thought it was cool I didn't know what the heck was going on.
What an odd circumstance. Sounds like it was ... destiny
star.gif

So now I'm finished with volume 30 and looking for 31.
It's available here: http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-31-Graphic-Novels/dp/1595823662/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255648528&sr=8-1

Friend told me its the greatest story he's ever read, and makes all of the greek tragedies look amateur in comparison. Since I got into it, I have to agree.

I've read alot of works, philosophic, cyberpunk, medieval, contemporary, but Berserk is easily the greatest story ever written in my humble opinion, and the zenith of existential literature.

billdog said:
Friend told me its the greatest story he's ever read, and makes all of the greek tragedies look amateur in comparison. Since I got into it, I have to agree.

I've read alot of works, philosophic, cyberpunk, medieval, contemporary, but Berserk is easily the greatest story ever written in my humble opinion, and the zenith of existential literature.

I whole heartedly agree and welcome to the boards.

As a side note to the Admins, is it worth adding filter for the phrase "berzerk" and have it replace with "berserk"? I see people make this mistake all the time, although maybe not so much on these boards. I just assumed a filter was already in place for it, but I guess not. Maybe something to think about it you haven't done so already.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
As a side note to the Admins, is it worth adding filter for the phrase "berzerk" and have it replace with "berserk"? I see people make this mistake all the time, although maybe not so much on these boards. I just assumed a filter was already in place for it, but I guess not. Maybe something to think about it you haven't done so already.

I was considering it just now. I don't like using filters too much though, and I'm sure our friend billdog can make the effort of writing it properly from now on.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
billdog said:
Sorry about that guys, I've seen it spelled with the z before and assumed that was the proper way to spell the title of the manga.

It's no big deal, don't worry. Now you know! :guts:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
billdog said:
Sorry about that guys, I've seen it spelled with the z before and assumed that was the proper way to spell the title of the manga.
Yeah, no problem, I used to get really angry when I couldn't find any results on my favorite anime series "Beserk." :ganishka:

S

Saintly pants

A few months ago, i had never heard of Berserk and i didn't own a single manga. Then i surfed into this video:

http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/vids2/tfstar/outsideot/7747-berserk

Hooked instantly. Sometimes you just know a piece of fiction is made especially for you.

First i watched the anime. Now i'm buying the dutch translations. It only started to come out two years ago in Belgium and we are at volume nine at this time. I'll surely get all of them. This manga doesn't hold back. I love it. :chomp:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Saintly pants said:
Hooked instantly. Sometimes you just know a piece of fiction is made especially for you.

First i watched the anime. Now i'm buying the dutch translations. It only started to come out two years ago in Belgium and we are at volume nine at this time. I'll surely get all of them. This manga doesn't hold back. I love it. :chomp:

I hear ya man, welcome to the net! :guts:

Saw vol. 1 in Blockbuster in 04. Rented it, got really stoned. Watched it twice in a row. Ended up watching vol. one a few more times before taking it back. Been in love ever since. Been lurking SK.net for a few years, it's great.

Walked into a friends house and saw the part where Griffith is burning the Queen. I had to know more. Watched the anime, loved the ending! Looked up the manga and have been trolling boards ever since.

S

Severen2k99

Back when I was in high school ( many years ago) I always wanted to check the anime out. But i never got around to it. :sad: Then 2 years ago a buddy of mine and I were talking about anime and he mentioned it. I asked him how it was and he offered to lend it to me. I was hooked. But I needed more and I got all the mangas and started collecting the statues, games and anything I could get my hands on. Ive been a slave to anything berserk ever since. :guts:

HeavyWeather

Heavy Rainfall Activated
Saintly pants said:

Aha! A belgian!

How good are the Dutch translations? I have only read it in English and so far only seen and glanced through one volume. I didn't really get any impression about the quality.

I got into Berserk by picking up the first volume once by chance and reading it. Hooked since. :D

I guess it was around 2000, I was really into punk rock at the time, and I was looking up some Rancid videos on the internet. Stumbled on this gem (of course, not on YouTube, but some AMV site): Rancid - Dead Bodies
After the first 8 seconds I was freaking out. I looked for the anime, but at the time I don't think it was available (could be that I just didn't look hard enough). Anyways, after a while, I was reading Pulp (I think it was Pulp) and some grotesque violent imagery reminded me that there was this awesome anime that I still haven't seen. I found an HK box set for around $20 and bought it online. I LOVED the anime, and lent it to a bunch of friends. I was always too scared to get into the manga because by the time I realized it existed there was already way too many volumes than I could afford (and I was already sinking all my money into Blade of the Immortal at the time). Well, I guess about a few years ago I downloaded a few scans, and after freaking out super hard, I started to get the DH mangas. At first it started with a few volumes every month or two, but eventually I was using the company vehicle to scour bookstores and comic shops on my quest for the entire series. So now I've got all the DH releases and I've been trying to stay on top of the prepublication lately. At the moment I'm way too intimidated by the quality, quantity and price of a lot of merchandise, but I'm sure someday I'll have a crap load of that as well.

S

Saintly pants

HeavyWeather said:
How good are the Dutch translations? I have only read it in English and so far only seen and glanced through one volume. I didn't really get any impression about the quality.

It's ok, some words choices don't work well, but it doesn't ruin the experience. Check out FNAC.

A few years ago, I kept hearing about Berserk from different forums and what not. Then I became curious and started searching Youtube for the episode series or AMVs :farnese:. Unfortunately, one of the AMVs spoiled the ending for me.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Kaepernack said:
A few years ago, I kept hearing about Berserk from different forums and what not. Then I became curious and started searching Youtube for the episode series or AMVs :farnese:. Unfortunately, one of the AMVs spoiled the ending for me.

spoiled... the anime ending? That sucks bro. Luckily I read everything in order so nothing has ever been given away for me, unless you cound the fact that I saw the anime before reading the manga.

hmmm... lets see. It was the summer of 2006 and i had seen part of an episode of Bleach. I wasnt into anime and manga at the time so i had no idea what the name of the series was called. So i went to google and typed in something about a guy with a big sword or something like that, i cant really remember. Anyway one of the results took me to a forum where people were talkin about Berserk and i thought that was what i saw on TV. Later saw it wasnt. But ive been hooked to Berserk ever since. :guts:

Top Bottom