How did you get into Berserk?

G

GASKA

My brother got me into Berserk. I remember watching the cartoon for the first time. It blew me away. Right after that night I cut my nose. Everyone at work the next day asked me what happened. I told them I was in a sword fight with Gambino. They think I'm weird anyway so I really didn't care. :chomp:

Walked in this anime store, this is when I was really into DBZ I used to buy the imported DBZ stuff there, so one day they have this anime on and I remember there was a crowd of people watching this, all I remember is blood and people being eaten I was like what the hell is this, found out it was Berserk and I was hooked, I stayed and watched the whole ep only to find out I was watching the end of the anime.

A

Alcaudon

15 years ago, on 1995, I saw in a second hand books store my first manga volume, strange characters (on that time my knowledge about japanese was zero), somehow, that story caught me because of its gore drawing, so, I took the two of them... a half year later, I went to comic store and asked if there was someone to tell me WTF that comic is, so, I got its name, and payed in advance for the current volumes since the number one (the owner was known a goddammit thief because of his fees). another six months later, I got my Berserk collection started, and aside that, the begining of angst waitnig and waiting and growing longer breaks among releases...

C

C_W

I was in a discussion via AIM with a friend of mine over character development. He said, plot wise and character wise, nothing topped Berserk. Remarkable, considering he would hate anime regardless if not for that series. I was doubtful, but he talked me into checking it out, and the more you read, the more you get, and soon I was hooked completely.

I did try and check the anime first, but I read both chapter 1 and watched episode 1 at the same time. It was clear that I'd get a better story from the manga just from that.

I lived in Japan from 1997-1999 and the entire time I was there I had no clue Berserk even existed. Had I known I would have totally gone in for some awesome collectibles! :sad:

Shortly after I moved back to the states I got a job at GameSpy.com and I was assigned the task to review "Sword of the Berserk" for Dreamcast.

I wanted to provide readers of the review with some background as to what the game was about, so I researched the manga online. Back in 2000 there wasn't a lot of info out there, but I found a really slapdash Berserk homepage with a decent enough summary that helped me out.

I remember one of the things that stuck with me was the creepiness of Void, so I pretty much decided to check out the manga when I heard it was going to be released here in the states.

(Thank you Chris Warner, may I have another!) - That line never gets old..... :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
OmegaSeamaster said:
I lived in Japan from 1997-1999 and the entire time I was there I had no clue Berserk even existed. Had I known I would have totally gone in for some awesome collectibles! :sad:

It was seriously the best time for collectibles, too. A lot of awesome (and cheap) stuff released by Movic at the time.

Aazealh said:
It was seriously the best time for collectibles, too. A lot of awesome (and cheap) stuff released by Movic at the time.

My girlfriend worked at Iwamoto Gas Station and while she showered after her shift in the employee locker room, I'd sit in the lounge and read all the seinen manga collections and guy magazines that were piled up all over the place. There must have been some Young Animals in there somewhere, right under my nose.

I would have stocked up on collectibles for sure.

:judo:

I watched one of the episodes of the AMV Hell, and there was a Berserk part in it. It really stuck in my mind, because Griffith reminded me of one of my characters in the stupid manga story I'm drawing in my freetime, so I've decided to search it... I found it, and I immediately fell in love with it.
Actually, I found most of my favorite animes/mangas via AMV hell videos. :ganishka:

X

Xem

Gillia said:
I watched one of the episodes of the AMV Hell, and there was a Berserk part in it. It really stuck in my mind, because Griffith reminded me of one of my characters in the stupid manga story I'm drawing in my freetime, so I've decided to search it... I found it, and I immediately fell in love with it.
Actually, I found most of my favorite animes/mangas via AMV hell videos. :ganishka:

Making AMV's is one of my past times, I may enter one of them finally next year in the contest at AWA (Anime Weekend Atlanta). They have AMV Hell there, didn't know it was elsewhere too.

Gillia said:
AMV Hell #4 was the best. Hm, I'm surprised that you first saw your favorite shows in there, what about spoilers?!

I could have gotten into it years and years ago. But what was I doing? Instead of reading volume 13, I thought it'd be funnier to join in with one of my other friends and ridicule the raping of Casca as my friend having a dirty book collection in his study. Needless to say I learned a strong lesson years later.

I got into Berserk from the anime, and I watched the dub and suppose I should go ahead and throw my dart on the board that I loved the dub. I was fortunate enough to sit down to Berserk without any sort of critiquing nature or stickler attitude (generally speaking) and enjoy some really old-looking animation for being just that, and some really bad over-the-top dubbing for what it was. It was in a lot of the ways why the 'Bastard!!' dub is so utterly perfect, because of the cheese and the time. And I at least feel when very silly things are said very seriously in a deep man's voice, it pays itself to masculinity. A wordy way of saying all the silly screams and manly cries were often laughed at and subsequently labeled as awesome.

Lastly, when I finished the anime, I saw it the way I think a lot of people should see the anime and enjoy it, and that is as a precursor to the manga. That's exactly what it did for me. It made me want to read it. And read it I did. I began my repentance reading those volumes on my friend's shelf, the same friend whom I had ridiculed.

To this day I still find myself apologizing to him for that.

Konketsuji said:
AMV Hell #4 was the best. Hm, I'm surprised that you first saw your favorite shows in there, what about spoilers?!
To be honest, I immediately forget most of the parts of these kind of videos... Just laugh and then watch the next :ganishka: Only those ones stuck in my mind that are special and made me interested for some reason (like Griffith did, as a wrote above)
Deci said:
Making AMV's is one of my past times, I may enter one of them finally next year in the contest at AWA (Anime Weekend Atlanta). They have AMV Hell there, didn't know it was elsewhere too.
Good luck for the contest :guts:

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
I played sword the of the berserk on the Dreamcast. Had that game not included some background information menu screens about the Berserk world, I probably would've never got into as there is so much background story to this game that you need to know to truly appreciate this game

3mmur3

[Emmure]
My "Brother" (Best friend) Justin he sat me down at our buddie Chad's house, he then pops in the DVD of the Berserk Anime Series at first i was kinda put off by the slow start but sure enough after the 3rd or 4th episode i was hooked!!

Hi,

I get into Berserk by a custom demons souls trailer with the forces song. After I heard the song for the first time I was amazed and think wow from where is that?

Finally I find out it was from Berserk than I watched a AMV and decided to buy the anime and the manga. That was 2010 and so started my Berserkfever ^^

In 98 i saw a small preview in a game informer for the Dreamcast and it's up coming games, Berserk being one of them and the tiny fuzzy photo of a black swordsman carrying a ridiculous sword must have done something to me because i became obsessive, i scoured the internet for whatever information i could find on Berserk, I then went to little Tokyo and picked up the first 3 volumes and this is where my obsession became ridiculous; i gathered as many translated scripts as i could at the time a lot of them from here (and i think this was before they were compiled in an easy to find way) and then i actually started to white out all of the dialogue balloons and lettered in the translations actually got through the first two volumes before i felt like an idiot. :guts:

Also i feel like an asshole for thinking this, but i saddens me how many people on here were introduced to Berserk through the anime. :judo:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
THE BEAST said:
Also i feel like an asshole for thinking this, but i saddens me how many people on here were introduced to Berserk through the anime. :judo:

But that's what it was available to us through vhs copies, or videos in the internet. I'm glad it was translated, although still there are some issues there with some of their translation choices, but we have it now.

THE BEAST said:

The anime was my avenue into Berserk and I honestly believe that the anime is the beat intro for the series. It gives you a taste of everything from the world to the characters and leaves you literally wanting more. Picking up the manga and reading it from 1-35 sometimes turns people off. Whether it be the violence or the sex, its quite a shock when compared to the Naruto's of the world.

Hello all,

New member but longtime Berserk fan. I discovered Berserk back in 2004 and its been my favorite series since. Its actually changed my life in major ways. Over the years I've collected a lot of Berserk merch (statues, figures, DC game, limited edition ps2 game, etc). I've actually used sk many times as a resource on Berserk related matters so I have to say a big THANK YOU for having this site up for everyone.

In a totally unrelated note... I did NOT go to Korea because you guys said theres a giant Zodd statue there. I totally did not. Not at all. Whatsoever...
Zodd-bigstatue01.jpg

64189_10100898779106318_1319205136_n.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hehehe, you didn't think they were going to leave it there forever, did you? :slan:

Anyway, welcome to the community!

I actually have some more info about the statue in Korea. I was there for vacation so I decided to check it out.

Chungnam in Korea was about an hour away from where I was staying at. After reaching the library the statue was nowhere to be found! I didn't want to give up hope and began to troll the campus in hope to find our buddy Zodd. I went to the international office to find someone who spoke English, I showed them the photo but they were clueless. Walking around the campus there were many other statues so I figured there had to be an Arts building. After walking around for what seemed hours, we came across a building with many sculptures around it. We went inside...

Art rooms, painting rooms, sculpture rooms, etc... but no sign of Zodd. I spotted about a dozen students hanging out inside a room, and approached. With no knowledge of Korean I tried to ask them about it... They were puzzled, confused, and a bit scared. However when I took out my phone loaded up the pic of Zodd and said "BERSERKUU" and "ZODDUU" one student jumped up from the back and ran up to me. With the power of broken English/Korean, hand gestures, and internet translations I figured out some info.

The guy talking with me said "He take home," "He go work Berserk." So to the best of my understanding the students name was "Shim Sung Bo," and he took the statue with him once he graduated. Apparently he went to work for either a metal sculpturing/fabrication place or he went to go work for something Berserk related.

Top Bottom