How did you get into Berserk?

Darok

Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
Mainly this question is directed toward the older fans (I.E.: walter)

At least for me it was because of the fansubbed anime 2 years ago.

Edit: I would like to note that I'm not exactly an older fan. I was just curious how the older fans got interested in it.

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
Basically I just walked into Blockbuster two months ago and I saw the DVDs there under New Releases. There were four DVD's. I just thought it looked like an interesting series and the thing was, I didn't intend to go there looking for it. I took the DVDs home and screamed after the 4 were over because it left me hanging...it was when Griffith drank the so-called poisoned drink and fell on the floor.

So then I rushed to ebay and got the entire anime set, and ashamed of myself now LOL got the CDs with the scanulations of the manga from all the volumes 1-24 But I went bought the real manga and then used translation databases ...I first went to BSOM and then I came to this site...and here I am.

And there goes my credit card out the window from collecting Berserk items.

Somewhere there must be a subliminal message there on all Berserk items....'You will be an addict.'

LG

TheBlackSwordsman

I can't fight this dark demon within me any longer
One day i was in a store that sold Video Games and Anime DVD's... I was totally burnt out on DBZ, and had finished seeing every bit of it, so i asked someone who worked in the store if they had a new anime to reccamend... He told me to see Berserk... and mentioned it was very violent and about a swordsman. So Since I like violence and swords and medival stuff. I bought it the first DVD, that was availible. At the time only the first time volumes of berserk were out so this was awhile ago. I saw it and realized that there was a hell of a lot more to this kick ass story then violence. I went out and got the second DVD, and then bought the rest of the anime fansubbed unable to wait any longer. Once finishing the anime i got on the internet because i wanted to know what came after the anime because the ending really left me wanting more... So I got the manga from the hawk's IRC channel, and when it is realeased in america thanks to dark horse i'm going to buy every volume.

Mizar

Œ©‰Ž•·‚©‰ŽŒ¾‚퉎
Well, it all happened around one year and two months ago, only a few months after I discovered the wonderful world of manga and anime (I don't count dbz and kids stuff like pokemon). I mainly relied on downloading fansubs and scans at that time to satisfy my craving for more and better stories. And then one day I saw Berserk on some anime review site, where people went completely nuts about this anime and gave it very high ratings, so I thought I'd download and try this one out and see what all the fuss was about. I was still very sceptical about this title since I had already seen enough of the heroic genre in my life, and usually those stories are very boring and unrealistic to me. Besides, seeing that incredibly huge sword of the main character didn't really help raising my expectations. But boy was I wrong. The first episode didn't immediately catch on to me, though, but there were some interesting and unique elements in it which made me want to watch more. After the second episode I was already completely hooked and there was no way back for me anymore.

After seeing the fansubs and scans of the manga I decided to hunt this one down on online shops and bought everything I could from this amazing piece of work. I bought the manga, artbooks, a dreamcast + the game, subscription to Young Animal, everything (except merchandise, besides a beherit and a few keychains recently). Berserk even made me decide to start to learn the Japanese language, it's almost pathetic really. ;)

Lliugusamui

around the corner
HUmmm I saw the anime in 1999 or 2000 or 1998 i really cant rmember; i must thank my elder brother foe seing it... hum I'd like to say to Candice she's a lovable girl, but whetver she wont read that, isnt it ? ;)
Guil
" i must go to spain in 2 hours ??? ouch ouch och !!"

TheBlackSwordsman

I can't fight this dark demon within me any longer
Mizar said:
Well, it all happened around one year and two months ago, only a few months after I discovered the wonderful world of manga and anime (I don't count dbz and kids stuff like pokemon). I mainly relied on downloading fansubs and scans at that time to satisfy my craving for more and better stories. And then one day I saw Berserk on some anime review site, where people went completely nuts about this anime and gave it very high ratings, so I thought I'd download and try this one out and see what all the fuss was about. I was still very sceptical about this title since I had already seen enough of the heroic genre in my life, and usually those stories are very boring and unrealistic to me. Besides, seeing that incredibly huge sword of the main character didn't really help raising my expectations. But boy was I wrong. The first episode didn't immediately catch on to me, though, but there were some interesting and unique elements in it which made me want to watch more. After the second episode I was already completely hooked and there was no way back for me anymore.

After seeing the fansubs and scans of the manga I decided to hunt this one down on online shops and bought everything I could from this amazing piece of work. I bought the manga, artbooks, a dreamcast + the game, subscription to Young Animal, everything (except merchandise, besides a beherit and a few keychains recently). Berserk even made me decide to start to learn the Japanese language, it's almost pathetic really. ;)

accually.. pokemon is the kid stuff.. dbz.. is.. well it's kinda kid stuff, but not as bad as pokemon.. either way.. berserk was my gateway into the world of more mature anime... with the 16 and up rating.. :) Either way it kicks ass. I'm gonna keep reading the manga till it's finished.

G

Genn21

:D , How i was first introduced to berserk ?? I dreamed about slanns, greased up hot brown ass one day. Exactly five minutes later i woke up in the berserk section of my local hollywood video. The "Berserk" section of any video store can be immediatly recognized by enraged anime fans ( guys who watch constant doujushin preteen HENTAI )demoralizing the wuss anime fans ( Guys who watch constant Pokemon hentai... pika , pika , pika) with extreme headbutts and bloodsucking after theyve subdued there victem. This was my true calling to berserk. Althrough i downloaded the entire series on my computer and did not rent a single episode THIS is another story of the trials of a berserk fan :-X. ( HEEEEE MANNNNN )

To all those none berserk fans tho i have to say your cleary.

:eek:
owned-domo2.jpg
:eek:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/2chan.php

G

Gechmir

Heard about Berserk back in 1997 or so and took a look at a few untranslated scans. Artwork looked great. The game also shed more light on it to me. Got it by my Dreamcast, still :-D I can't wait for this second Berserk game to come out. Gettin' all tingly just thinking about it...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Damn, one of my friends came into my room and was totally freaking out about this anime, so I decided...what the hell...after the whole DVD I was like OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFGBBQ!!!!11111 This r0><05s! After I had bought the subs and watched the last episode, I was extremely pissed...it was at 10pm on a sunday. I was screaming and throwing shit accross my room for 30 minutes. Then I went to work and looked on the internet for anything about a sequel or something...then I found out about the mangas and I went to my local Jusco and bought them all. Even got a tat of the brand on my right deltoid. oh... yea.. ;D

Makkuro

El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!
I watched the anime and liked it a whole damn lot. Then I read the manga and... liked it a whole damn lot. That's pretty much it.

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Hm. One day in Best Buy, my fiance and I were like hmmm what new anime should we get? Roberto turns to this red DVD case and goes, gee, this looks like a decent find. And I'm like...are you suuuuuure? Cause he had picked up Vandread, with the crappy looking CG mecha on the foil cover and I was all doubtful about that one too. But suuure enough, Berserk was FUCKING AWESOME and Vandread was damn good too. ^_^

And they lived happily evar after...

SexyCharlotte

All those who wander are not always lost
number18 said:
Hm. One day in Best Buy, my fiance and I were like hmmm what new anime should we get? Roberto turns to this red DVD case and goes, gee, this looks like a decent find. And I'm like...are you suuuuuure? Cause he had picked up Vandread, with the crappy looking CG mecha on the foil cover and I was all doubtful about that one too. But suuure enough, Berserk was FUCKING AWESOME and Vandread was damn good too. ^_^

And they lived happily evar after...

Another girl fan! YES! :D

Sounds like me...I walked into Blockbuster intending to get something else and just saw the new four DVDs of Berserk. I said, hmmm, interesting anime...most of them don't get put out there on the main shelves of new releases, so I chose that...and then a terrible thing happened... I got addicted.

LG

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?
I was just trying to decide on an anime to rent. I saw Berserk on the shelf and gave it a try. I really didn't like the anime much, but I did some looking around on the internet and found the manga. Officially hooked ever since. :)

number18

a sci-fi bitch
Maybe us three should start a God's Hand of fangirldom....and like....make people sacrifice their former obsessions for berserk! Mwuahahaaaaa! SO EVIL!

Bok Choy

100% Leafy Goodness!
I wanted something different from the torrent of "cutesy", one-hero-defeats-legions-of-darkness, and fan-service based anime that plagues the genre. :-X

I checked a website raving about Berserk and its no-nonsense approach and unromantic portrayal of Medieval times. I was intruiged since I am fond of "unconventional" stuff and "brutal, realistic" fantasy.

Anyhow, the ending to the anime really aggravated me because I couldn't believe that the story could simply end so aburptly. I searched the internet high and low for Berserk and found this website and others like it.

For me, mine was a very different case. If wasnt for my brother who watched this anime first, i may not even be here in the 1st place.

I had seen this interesting man with a huge big sword back a few years ago but i didnt know the name of the comic, I wasnt interested at all becz at that time i was totally hooked in DBZ. After finishing DBZ i stop reading anymore comic becz i though there was nothing like DB and i also grew bored over it.

It was until March last year when i came home from school and saw my brother watching an anime. Since i had nothing better to do i watch with him and Man, this day changed my life, I was totally engrossed after the anime ended (Btw at that time i missed the very 1st part, i only started wathcing when Gutz challenge the 30 man-slayer), i really wanted to know the ending and how did Gutz take his revenge etc. I watch the anime again for better understanding and OMFG! The first part i see was the man holding a 7 ft sword! Everything begin to flash back i was fascinated how this ordinary man became so strong that he is capable of taking down monster...

Well my brother also got hooked so he bought the whole manga vol1-22. I was like addicted to drug and keep on reading and reading. All the volume i have at least read more than twice.

On the net i was searching for a good berserk website but with no valid. Only countless times of surfing and going through countless number of links then i finally found this best website for Berserk! My hard work finally pay off :D

Mordos Kahn

I'm a llama!
Back in late 1999 I got a DreamCast and within a week or so a friend of mine was going on about this game with this one-eyed dude and this huge freaking sword. Admitantly I wasn't all that enthused at first but once I picked up Sword of te Berserk I was enthralled since it seemed to come out of nowhere with it's story line, expected you to know the history prior to the game and made no in-roads to explain any of it. So a couple of months later after getting my but kicked seriously by Zodd many many many times, I traded the game, not truely knowing that there was any maga's or anime based on it and totally forgot about the whole experience.

A couple of months back, actually about a half a year, a I hired a new guy to work in my dept. who himself was a huge Anime fan, and he told me about this awsome Anime that was out and what it was based on.
I asked if there was a game based on it and he told me exactly the game I was think of. I then Hijacked his Anime's and then downloaded ALL scans available.

Been hooked like a crack head since

Couple years ago, my friend brought to my pad the WAR CRY DVD.....I left it on the shelf for over 2 weeks! I got real bored one weekend and popped it in......I was instantly hooked...Cant get enough of it.....I watched them all in English. Haven't really read the Magna all that much because of the translation difficulty.

LauraOrganaSolo

<Charlotte-Hime>
Somewhere there must be a subliminal message there on all Berserk items....'You will be an addict.'

No kidding. I devoured the entire manga over the past couple weeks immediately after the finishnig the last episode and I don't even like it that much. *laughs*

Let's see, last summer or autumn a friend was going through his own Berserk stage and kept sending me pics of Griffith and Gattsu (mostly Griffith because he knows I've got a thing for bishounen). He sent me the fansubs as per request but it took me awhile to getting around to downloading them watching them. It's probably a good thing I was told the ending was a complete cliff-hanger, otherwise I probably would have woken up my entire apartment complex running around screaming, "That's IT?!? THAT'S IT ?!!!?!?!?111?!!!? SONUVA... etc. etc. :p

I finished the anime two weeks ago. Bought a couple videos from RightStuf's bargain bin so I didn't feel like a jerk for watching and reading the manga for free. I just finished volume 24 today and despite my distaste for the series, I'm not going to hesitate to read volume 25.

And yes, a Godhand of fangirls converting others to Berserk-ism would be cool but I couldn't be a true member because Berserk is not my favorite (despite the addiction). ;D

Lliugusamui

around the corner
TheBlackSwordsman said:
man, i wish i could find a lady around where I lived who likes Berserk. :p
Man, it isn't the more important. Btw, I think girls not liking it/being indifferent would have my preferance for some reasons.
Guil

A friend of mine from another forum had mentioned Berserk a few times when talking about good animes. Then at A-Kon XIII I saw it at Media Blaster's table in the dealer's room. I picked up the Dreamcast game along the way, and finally set down and watched the fansubs. After that I found the manga scanalations and read them as fast as I could get them. I've been hooked since, and want more!

Top Bottom