Dell's Recall

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Dell Batteries recall. Laptops getting on fire because of them. This is a link for the report.

NEWS LINK

dell_narrowweb__300x328,0.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DELLBURNS.jpg

As much as I'd like to exploit the event, there's only been 6 reports of this happening. And apparently it's SONY's fault for providing faulty batteries. Hope no one's $599 dreams go up in smoke.

PS: love the picture you provided, Branded0ne. Looks like James Bond there got a self-destructing message.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I thought it was mission impossible, actually - those exploding messages. But whatever.

I try to stay away from dell, whenever possible. You usually get low quality to match the low price.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Th3Branded0ne said:
Yeah, pretty old James Bond if you ask me. Actually that pic was taken in Japan.
CnC said:
I thought it was mission impossible, actually - those exploding messages. But whatever.
Well guys, I was mostly referring to the tuxedo :guts: (and Bond's been to Japan, anyway.)

I try to stay away from dell, whenever possible. You usually get low quality to match the low price.
Yep. When my girlfriend was at college, I'd occassionaly be suckered into "fixing" a lot of her friends' computers. They were virtually always DELLs, and failed horribly at performing basic functions such as "booting," "shutting down" and "running for more than 2 minutes."

Normally, I'd blame their performance on the owner's lack of knowledge with computers, but everyone there that owned an HP, Thinkpad or other competing brand never had NEARLY as many problems... I blame the Dell guy.

CnC said:
I try to stay away from dell, whenever possible.  You usually get low quality to match the low price.

You can pay a higher price and get higher quality from Dell.

It seems people in this forum are always saying Dell is no good, but I've had no problems.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
You can pay a higher price and get higher quality from Dell.
It's true that you often get what you pay for when it comes to computer performance. That goes for any brand. However, I'm just saying that in my 3 years as lead tech support guy at my old college, DELL owners were consistently our "best" customers.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
pippin22 said:
It seems people in this forum are always saying Dell is no good

Yeah, the Dell bashing on this forum has been out of control for years... wait, has Dell even been mentioned before? =)

Anyway, Dell USED to be a good computer company, really solid machines, but nowadays... yeah, cheap prices, cheap parts, and cheap service.

CnC

Ad Oculos
holy shit... I actually recommended a dell! Well, more like listing sub-2k notebooks. But anyways, its good that Walter went with the IBM.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well my old job had us all get dell certified (which was a joke by the way) and well this whole Battery Burning up thing has been around for a good 2 years.

I don't really like dells because they do have lots of faults, such as the power supplies going bad and with some of the models, they are just poorly designed and offer no colling ventilation to the CPU's on the laptops (C600 series).

All though I can somewhat defend them in a way. With the Marine Corps using them, they take a beating when going on deployment and the laptops they have are not ment for that. It boggles my mind why they didn't get panasonic Toughbooks or things of that nature for field exercises and actually situations.

Dah well, Semper Gumby and Semper Fi fuck the other guy :carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
All though I can somewhat defend them in a way. With the Marine Corps using them, they take a beating when going on deployment and the laptops they have are not ment for that. It boggles my mind why they didn't get panasonic Toughbooks or things of that nature for field exercises and actually situations.

I'm sure its a price thing

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
CnC said:
I'm sure its a price thing
That and the Marine Corps is notorious for using old shit for as long as possible. The series of laptops they considered "new" are like 2+ years old, probably older.

I have an older dell system(it was an old 500 mhz before I upgraded it to a 1.4 ghz). It's a champ. I've never had issues with the original parts that came with it, and it's the computer I still use today.

However, I haven't had as much luck with newer dell systems. I do tech support at a research institution, and we have mostly dells. I am kept busy with a variety of problems on these machines, most of which can't be attributed to the user.

The good thing about Dell, though, is that their tech support is top notch if you've paid for the warranty. As many motherboards as we've had fail, they've sent a guy out within 2 days to replace them on site.

Top Bottom