Dark Horse Releases

Knight o' Skeleton said:
Just for posterity, what does the back cover say?

[quote author=Amazon.com]
The Band of the Hawk may have been the most formidable band of fighters around, but when matched up against an army of abyssal monstrosities, earthly fighting skills don't amount to a hill of beans. The Hawks' tortured and mutilated former leader, Griffith, has used the accursed Crimson Beherit to open the gates to a shadowy realm of unspeakable horrors, the realm of the demon lords of the Godhand, who are willing to transform Griffith into a being of terrible power and majesty as long as Griffith is willing to give up his former command as sacrifices in the Invocation of Doom. But nobody takes down the Hawks without a fight, and their berserker champion, Guts, will take on anything Hell can throw at him in order to save his lover, Casca, from the sordid violations that only Hell can offer.
[/quote]

Compared to descriptions from the previous Dark Horse volumes, this one sounds a bit more intelligent, does it not?

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
BayJumper said:
Compared to descriptions from the previous Dark Horse volumes, this one sounds a bit more intelligent, does it not?

No, I think he was referring to the paragraph about the "manga mosh pit" or whatever it was this time. :schierke:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
TheSkyTraveller said:
No, I think he was referring to the paragraph about the "manga mosh pit" or whatever it was this time.  :schierke:

Yeah, the summary of what the actual volume contains is never all that bad, it's the series summary that causes most of us to want to stab ourselves in the face until it doesn't hurt anymore.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Knight  o' Skeleton said:
Just for posterity, what does the back cover say?

Sorry, this is usually my department but I was so disgusted I didn't have the energy.

Created by Kentaro Miura, Berserk is a hurtling manga avalanche, a pit-dark epic of relentless action, repellent horror, and remorseless humor that has hordes of initiates sharpening their blades while sending the timid into full retreat. The bell tolls for thee, wimp! :schierke:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
handsome rakshas said:
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a hurtling manga avalanche, a pit-dark epic of relentless action, repellent horror, and remorseless humor that has hordes of initiates sharpening their blades while sending the timid into full retreat. The bell tolls for thee, wimp!  :schierke:

.....there are no words to describe how horrible this description is, but I'm sure DH could come up with something in about 5 minutes or less.

Just wanted to throw in my two cents. In issue twelve, I did not find the sound effects translations to be that bad, a mild nuisance at best. In issue thirteen, they annoyed the crap out of me. Maybe you folks have been getting to me, but I am now on the "sound effects translations suck" side of this.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Agh.  Griff's banner isn't even an exaggeration anymore.  Check this.

fx_ugly1.jpg

fx_ugly2.jpg

OH GOD DH DO IT AS AN APPENDIX INSTEAD PLEASE GOD.

It is nice to know the occasional actual useful ones, like 'silence,' but not right there in the middle of the flow of the art.  Hell, it would even be better if every single box didn't say "*FX:" argh WHY?  Subtitled movies would be awful too if every line started with "*TRX:" as though that was not already fucking taken as understood.  It takes you even further out of the experience.

this is it people. i've now officially stopped buying the Dark Horse manga. those things are all over the artwork now and not a single one of them is informative. Dark Horse promised they wouldn't translate the FX when they announced Berserk and still they let a few mails written by people who thought they wanted translated FX get to them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Lithrael said:

Hahaha, why am I always right? Shame to those who didn't think it would end up being like that. I still don't understand how anyone with an ounce of common sense in them would choose to go with that option instead of an appendix. But hey, that's alright because they're "unobtrusive" and in "dead areas of the art!"

:schierke:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
"Sorry if it isn't to your liking, I just hope you'll try to get used to it."

God damnit.

[edit] also, cant forget this gem: "I'm striving to make them less obvious (guttered captions weren't supposed to be boxed, and that will change for issue 14), but you're going to have get used to them, because that's how we're going to handle them from here out.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Hahaha, why am I always right? Shame to those who didn't think it would end up being like that.

I wonder if anyone still thinks we were exaggerating?

But yea. This is truly barbaric handling of the artwork, as expected.

Lithrael said:
As a few others have commented, I was not really bothered by volume 12. This is something else though. Unbelievable. Thanks for putting up those scans Lithrael.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Oh shit. Now I feel special and not ashamed for not giving DH any money since volume 3. They don't want to cover up the acutal sound effects because that would be damaging the art, but then they just cover up the drawings themselves instead. Yeah...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Good job fuck faces at DH!

EDIT: I encourage the guys from DH to justify this afte we have seen it.

EDIT2: God damn it, why do I get the friggon key strokes messed up for "from" and "form" :zodd: I blame this on DH!

I couldn't care less about the sound effects being translated, but after seeing those scans for volume 13 all I can say is wow. Just wow :isidro:

Seriously, what the fuck goes through their minds when they decide that something like this is a good idea?

The reactions to this will most likely cause good 'ol Chris Warner to not show his face here.

And here I thought Knight of Skeleton was bad... :schierke:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea that's horrible. On the plus side I'm now completely determined to just suck it up and buy all the Japanese volumes. Thanks DH for making up my mind with this atrocity...I spit on you.

Top Bottom