Dark Horse Releases

A.C said:
Dark Horse promised they wouldn't translate the FX when they announced Berserk and still they let a few mails written by people who thought they wanted translated FX get to them.

Actually, Dark Horse didn't promise a damn thing to fans. The only reason why they left the sound effects untranslated (at the time), was so that their books could be printed and released quicker. And probably save a bunch of money, while they were at it, too. Unfortunately, this was the sort of bullshit that was popularized by Tokyopop. Keep in mind, that their old "no translation of the FX" policy concerned numerous other manga series that they've licensed along with DMP (such as Hellsing and Trigun), not just Berserk.

It's interesting to note though, that even before DH started translating the sound effects, many board members here were hateful towards the company already. So even of DH had opted to use an appendix or maybe even continued to leave the sound effects un-translated in any way, shape, or form whatsoever, I don't think that the general (negative) opinion of the company would've changed for the better. Sure, those SFX boxes might've caused everyone here (with me being an exception) to resent Dark Horse even more, but there are plenty of other issues for everyone here to fuss over, such as: translation/adaptation, the "colorful" descriptions of the series on the back, the English logo, and etc. So as far as I'm concerned, nothing has changed regarding the fan reception of the Dark Horse, really.

Besides, those sound effect translations are here to stay. And they're gonna be here for a looong time.Because, after three years of receiving complaints (from me and the others) to start translating the sound effects, and then finally adopting a policy to do so, what makes you think that they're gonna undo it? Especially now?!
If you ain't gonna buy the Dark Horse releases, that's fine. But many others (including myself) will.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Good job fuck faces at DH!

Jesus fucking Christ, is Berserk the only title that you've read from Dark Horse?! If you don't like the way DH handled Berserk, there must at least another title from them, that you do. It's not like Berserk the only series they publish, you know. There's also Blade of the Immortal, Lone Wolf and Cub, Crying Freeman, Hellsing, and numerous others. So why all the obscenity towards DH, like they're the cause of all the evil in the world?
And while we're at it, I remeber how couple of months ago I've made several scathing comments towards Viz Media regarding their censorship policies. And then all of a sudden Walter himself went all the way to defend Viz, by pointing out an "excellent" and "phenominal" job they've done with Vagabond. And then Aaz reminded me that I shouldn't be "name calling" the companies, and such. So I wonder, why hasn't he done the same here? :schierke:

Wow, those pictures are insane... In Vol. 12 I didn't mind the translated sound effects, heck some even helped me in determining the mood of the scene, but this is just plain ridiculous... Like everyone else, I'm seriously considering to just stop buying the DH books... Which is sad because A) I've never honestly considered doing that before with even the worst of products and B) DH seems to care more about their own fantastical delusions and the whims of a vocal (and idiotic) minority... Which is the equivalent of shooting everyone else, including the most die hard of fans, in the face. *scurries off to learn Japanese* :judo:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
BayJumper said:
Jesus fucking Christ, is Berserk the only title that you've read from Dark Horse?! If you don't like the way DH handled Berserk, there must at least another title from them, that you do. It's not like Berserk the only series they publish, you know. There's also Blade of the Immortal, Lone Wolf and Cub, Crying Freeman, Hellsing, and numerous others. So why all the obscenity towards DH, like they're the cause of all the evil in the world?
And while we're at it, I remeber how couple of months ago I've made several scathing comments towards Viz Media regarding their censorship policies. And then all of a sudden Walter himself went all the way to defend Viz, by pointing out an "excellent" and "phenominal" job they've done with Vagabond. And then Aaz reminded me that I shouldn't be "name calling" the companies, and such. So I wonder, why hasn't he done the same here? :schierke:

Well friend now that you have you started to do this and you just mentioned that its not going away who's to say that your not going to do the same retarded shit with any other future releases. Also what the fuck did you expect to happen especially when "we" got a hold of this.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
BayJumper said:
It's interesting to note though, that even before DH started translating the sound effects, many board members here were hateful towards the company already. So even of DH had opted to use an appendix or maybe even continued to leave the sound effects un-translated in any way, shape, or form whatsoever, I don't think that the general (negative) opinion of the company would've changed for the better. Sure, those SFX boxes might've caused everyone here (with me being an exception) to resent Dark Horse even more, but there are plenty of other issues for everyone here to fuss over, such as: translation/adaptation, the "colorful" descriptions of the series on the back, the English logo, and etc. So as far as I'm concerned, nothing has changed regarding the fan reception of the Dark Horse, really.
Pointing out things a company can improve on does not equate hate. Generally speaking, I was intensely satisfied with Darkhorse's overall performance up until the sfx disaster. I do despise the AWEFUL series descriptions on the back, which makes me question those in charge, but that is far from hating Darkhorse and being up in arms against them. Of course, now that they have actually gone and killed my enjoyment of the series, I do in fact hate them with a burning passion that can only be quenched by a change in policy and reprints.

Besides, those sound effect translations are here to stay. And they're gonna be here for a looong time.Because, after three years of receiving complaints
Apparently complaining can do a lot of good (or evil, in your case), and I have a feeling they will get plenty on the subject of these sfx after this latest volume.

(from me and the others)
What incredible lengths you go to in order to make yourself hated in this thread.
to start translating the sound effects, and then finally adopting a policy to do so, what makes you think that they're gonna undo it? Especially now?!
If popular demand got them to change in the first place, a drop in sales and counterdemand can change their minds again. They didnt change their policy until volume 12, what says they wont change again at volume 22?

If you ain't gonna buy the Dark Horse releases, that's fine. But many others (including myself) will.
I can only hope that people will figure out that these sfx boxes are utterly meaningless and kill an otherwise fantastic manga, and stop buying it (as I have done, and as many others on this board are doing). Then maybe we can go about changing Darkhorse's ridiculous policies.

Jesus fucking Christ, is Berserk the only title that you've read from Dark Horse?!
Yes.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Lithrael said:
Agh. Griff's banner isn't even an exaggeration anymore. Check this.

Yeah, pretty sad state of affairs, I didn't intend that it end up prophetic. I mean, this went from being an issue of a pretty fickle fan base to Dark Horse just totally losing their minds. This is like cutting your own head off to get rid of a pimple. The sounds are 90% intuitive or self-explanitory, and so it comes down to properly displaying the artwork unchanged and unobstructed or superfluously translating and displaying sound effects at the work's expense; it's really no choice at all (unless you're an idiot). Now they've not only butchered the words, but the heart of the story, the images. This is especially sad considering a simple appendix would have reasonably satisfied everyone's needs, and worse yet, the translations of the sounds themselves are inconsistant and poor.

What a waste.

But hey, it's not so bad; all we have to do is swallow our pride and taste, if we have any to begin with, lay down, accept it, support a bad product from a second-rate company, act like complete tools, and take it up the ass from Dark Horse like Bayjumper and we'll all be as happy as him buying all the dark horse translated manga series (did I mention we're stupid tools in this scenario, and eunuchs?).

You may not like getting anally raped. But many others, like Bayjumper, will.

And that proves something. Seriously.

P.S. Next time you write Dark Horse a letter, ask them to translate the artwork into the English editions next time. Thanks.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
It's interesting to note though, that even before DH started translating the sound effects, many board members here were hateful towards the company already. So even of DH had opted to use an appendix or maybe even continued to leave the sound effects un-translated in any way, shape, or form whatsoever, I don't think that the general (negative) opinion of the company would've changed for the better.

That's really just bullshit you're saying here. People weren't totally happy with DH's releases and rightly so, because as you said yourself it's not perfect. Hell, you yourself complained about some problems with these releases. That makes you "hateful" as well then, right? You're just trying to dismiss people's point by being defamatory here, you're really reaching the bottom. I doubt Chris Warner would have wasted his time posting on a "hateful" board. Anyway, did you actually read the other posts except yours? A lot of people that were buying the volumes are so distressed by this abomination that they're considering not buying them anymore on that factor alone. Meanwhile you're just babbling irrelevantly. Ask yourself what your posts achieve.

BayJumper said:
Sure, those SFX boxes might've caused everyone here (with me being an exception) to resent Dark Horse even more, but there are plenty of other issues for everyone here to fuss over, such as: translation/adaptation, the "colorful" descriptions of the series on the back, the English logo, and etc.

These issues were addressed already, and still are. It's not like nobody's talking about them. That's why people resented Dark Horse before; you know, what you were talking about earlier. You're really contradicting yourself here, in your blindness to defend the undefendable. And to anyone with half a brain, the order of priority is evidently 1) translation and art 2) logo and descriptions. So obviously, people will always be more concerned about ugly and useless boxes being on the art than the title logo, especially since the change for the SFX is recent. You're really not making any point here. You're just asking people to stop picking on your SFX. Anyway, why don't you send DH letters on these other issues? I mean it worked for the SFX supposedly, so it should for the rest as well.

BayJumper said:
Besides, those sound effect translations are here to stay. And they're gonna be here for a looong time.Because, after three years of receiving complaints (from me and the others) to start translating the sound effects, and then finally adopting a policy to do so, what makes you think that they're gonna undo it? Especially now?! If you ain't gonna buy the Dark Horse releases, that's fine. But many others (including myself) will.

So what made you think they'd add SFX when you started sending mails, uh? I mean it took you 3 years, and you didn't have that reasoning, right? So why are you now? I think you're really dishonest here. And because they've just adopted that policy doesn't mean they can't drop it if everybody complains about it. You only represent yourself, you're not a group of people. You don't know what the general reaction is outside of this board, and in fact your opinion seems to be the minority by far here. So don't try to give lessons to people as you have no authority on anything. If you keep buying the DH releases because nothing bothers you as long as it's SFX related, that's fine. You just needed a single line to say so, like others did when they said the contrary (most of them indicating that they had changed their mind, not just repeating the same thing over and over like you do). And you have no idea what "many others" do or think.

BayJumper said:
Jesus fucking Christ, is Berserk the only title that you've read from Dark Horse?!

What does it matter? He's unhappy about DH's handling of Berserk. We're not on a Dark Horse board but on a Berserk one. The topic is Berserk. DH's other titles aren't a concern.

BayJumper said:
And then Aaz reminded me that I shouldn't be "name calling" the companies, and such. So I wonder, why hasn't he done the same here? :schierke:

Well I haven't posted since these posts were made, so that's why I haven't commented on them. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, eh? Besides it's not like you respected what I told you, now is it? What about the context then? Here people are surprised and speaking their hearts in a heated reaction, you were just insulting other companies and trying to turn it into an argumentation. Not exactly the same thing. Plus Viz does indeed a good job on Vagabond, you've admitted it yourself, so I'm not sure what your point is anyway. Walter gave you feedback regarding his experience with that company (while you were inappropriately trying to use the defaults of other titles edited by other companies to lessen the problems existing with DH's version of Berserk), and that's it. I don't see why you're talking about that here, it isn't pertinent and it's quite unfair to Walter to take these events out of context.

In any case it's true, please guys, try to limit the name-calling. It doesn't achieve anything. Rather, send emails to DH, that will be far more effective. And if you're actually going to stop purchasing the manga because of these changes, well tell them so.

chrisw@darkhorse.com

You write a little note to Chris and you politely tell him you're unhappy and why. That's constructive feedback for them. No need to even ask for an answer, just make clear and concise points.

Scorpio said:
I can only hope that people will figure out that these sfx boxes are utterly meaningless and kill an otherwise fantastic manga, and stop buying it (as I have done, and as many others on this board are doing). Then maybe we can go about changing Darkhorse's ridiculous policies.

But unfortunately, there's this problem:

Walter said:
Keep dreaming :guts: Volumes 12 and 13 will be bought heavily regardless of sound effects nonsense because of the critical events in them.

Griffith

Too bad the series doesn't stop at 13, because sales doesn't change the fact that the DH product sucks, and they're already losing (lost) real Berserk fans. As Wally puts it, the series is selling itself, DESPITE Dark Horse going out of their way to fuck it up as bad as possible. Lots of people buy Dark Horse, but lots of people molest children too; that doesn't make it right, Bayjumper.

They're probably the same people, anyway.

BayJumper is evil.

i didn't need Dark Horse to enjoy Berserk in the first place. sure it'd be more comfortable to have all the volumes as english pockets but it's not like i can't live without it either.

S

smoke

BayJumper, is there anything that DH could do to the manga that would actually piss you off?

Griffith

BayJumper said:
Censorship, dialogue editing, and bad translations. That's about it, I guess.

That basically sums up Dark Horse's Berserk.

P.S. Why do you keep changing your avatar back? Don't like SFX boxes covering the artwork? :carcus:

"Griffith No More!" said:
That basically sums up Dark Horse's Berserk.

P.S. Why do you keep changing your avatar back? Don't like SFX boxes covering the artwork? :carcus:

What? Are you suggesting that Dark Horse's releases of Berserk is censored?

P.S. The reason I keep changing my avatar back, is because I'm not part of this so-called "protest" against the SFX translations.

CnC

Ad Oculos
BayJumper said:
P.S. The reason I keep changing my avatar back, is because I'm not part of this so-called "protest" against the SFX translations.

Well you shouldn't even notice the change, right? Why change it if it doesn't bother you?

It shouldn't break the narrative flow of your complete waste of bandwith a.k.a posts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
Are you suggesting that Berserk is censored?

Volume13-censored.jpg

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I really don't know where I stand on continuing to purchase the manga...I want to support the series in the U.S., but it sucks when the people handling the series have absolutely no respect for it.  Trigun, another series by DH that I support, isn't treated this way at all, so why should Berserk be any different?  With the way the SFX boxes were used in Vol. 12, it was a little distracting, but I could live with it, if that was the way things would continue to look.  Pasting multiple boxes in the artwork is not using the "dead space" at all, it's obstructing the most important part of the manga.  Like others have already said (including myself), it's really not that difficult to imagine what sounds go with what actions (other than things like the light dimming, of course, but do you really need to know that in order to enjoy the series?).

Bayjumper, I just don't get you.  Is having the sound effects spelled out for you (and poorly, to boot) really more important than the artwork?  Because that sounds like exactly what you're saying by supporting the way Dark Horse uses the SFX "translation" boxes in Vol. 13.  I just can't imagine that a fan of this series can continue to support the use of the boxes when they literally shit all over the art like that.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Rhombaad said:
Bayjumper, I just don't get you. Is having the sound effects spelled out for you (and poorly, to boot) really more important than the artwork? Because that sounds like exactly what you're saying by supporting the way Dark Horse uses the SFX "translation" boxes in Vol. 13. I just can't imagine that a fan of this series can continue to support the use of the boxes when they literally shit all over the art like that.
To answer your question, please refer to my reply in the Episode 280 thread. :serpico:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
:judo:

This whole affair makes me feel sad. I bought Volume 12 like a lot of other folks did, and tried to ignore most of the SFX boxes, but this is just getting silly. I'm gonna have to boycott DH volumes from here on out until I can see the art as it was intended. :<

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is a morbidly obese step in the wrong direction for Dark Horse. I'm honestly suprised they managed to do worse on their sophomore attempt at "*FX" boxes. I figured this time they'd be more conservative and less obtrusive with the box placement. I had hoped I could be proven wrong, and that the boxes COULD be implemented in a covert manner. Boy, was I wrong.

Even in spite of my dissatisfaction with their handling of sound effects, I wasn't going to stop buying the volumes. That was before I saw the vol 13 sample Lith posted. I'll be writing Chris Warner with my opinion on the matter, and I hope I'm not alone. Viva la Resistance!

SaiyajinNoOuji

Alright, this is a serious question... if Berserk is their latest piece that they have aquired to translate... why dont they follow the same way they have translated otehr releases? if you are making a standard, why not go off of your previous works? Why do this to Berserk now?

CnC

Ad Oculos
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Alright, this is a serious question... if Berserk is their latest piece that they have aquired to translate... why dont they follow the same way they have translated otehr releases? if you are making a standard, why not go off of your previous works? Why do this to Berserk now?

I'd advise you and any else with questions/complaints as to how this series is being handled to e-mail Chris over at DH (chrisw@darkhorse.com) .

Keep the e-mail civil and don't spam his message box. I wouldn't want anyone to think that they were somehow justified in picking their target demographic when they put those childish summaries on the back of the covers.

SaiyajinNoOuji

CnC said:
I'd advise you and any else with questions/complaints as to how this series is being handled to e-mail Chris over at DH (chrisw@darkhorse.com) .

Keep the e-mail civil and don't spam his message box. I wouldn't want anyone to think that they were somehow justified in picking their target demographic when they put those childish summaries on the back of the covers.
Done and done..

Also as an added bonus to this topic my previous statement from 280 about BayJumper has finally bore the fruit I was laboring for.

*ahem*
Via PM...

I do not know why you've had to make such an inflammatory response to my post, but I don't think that something like that was necessary. That only makes you look bad, if anything.

P.S: Hope you die slow.

END

Well fuck face, maybe the fact that you are acting like a complete asscock has something to do with it, also maybe if you would have read my first fucking post of the god damn thread, you would have realized that it was meant to get the thread ready for the unknown release of Berserk.

Also for your comment of dying slowly, that was pretty weak, i was hoping for something a little bit more exciting, so in conclusion, perhaps it would be best for you to go back.... Thank you.

EDIT: Also no matter what I do what YOU have done will always make me look and everyone else on this board better. So suck it.
EDIT2: So I decided to cut back, I want this post to stay to show the world how much of a douche you are, so i will cut the last bit that I had written, but I still mean it. <3 :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Even in spite of my dissatisfaction with their handling of sound effects, I wasn't going to stop buying the volumes. That was before I saw the vol 13 sample Lith posted. I'll be writing Chris Warner with my opinion on the matter, and I hope I'm not alone. Viva la Resistance!

Yup, that's the route I'm going. I'm going to write Chris later this week, and it will be a civil message at that. I'll be sure to post my message, once I've sent it, and (hopefully) the reply from Chris when/if it arrives. Now it's off to bed where, in my dreams, the DH releases are impeccable...

S

smoke

Well, it seems like we'll have to write for about three years.

RIGHT BAYJUMPAAH!?

Top Bottom