Snakes on a Plane

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I'm surprised nobody started a thread about this yet. Anyway, I just got back from the movie, decided to see if it lived up to its reputation. I must say it certainly did. Best 'comedy' of the summer.

Seriously though, it's worth the $5-$10 if you've gotten caught up in the gimmick, but if you're easily bored then give it a pass. Also depends on whether or not you'll laugh when the disposeable characters get bitten in risque areas.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Just got back from seeing it myself. Fantastic movie. Behold Samuel L. Jackson in all his glory! I highly recommend it for anyone who isn't looking for much more than a good time at a terrible movie. :guts:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Vaxillus said:
if you're easily bored then give it a pass.

:guts: Yeah, it's awesome if you're in the right mood for it. The snakes themselves are pleasantly unrealistic so it's not too scarey for the actual snake-hatey types. But man is this movie ever going to result in copycat violence towards our innocent serpentine friends.

Samuel L Jackson kicks all the ass in the world.

Vaxillus

I have to say the acting in this was pretty amazing considdering the script, though I would have liked to watch Steven Seagal get bitten and swell up like a pimple. Samuel L. Jackson does indeed kick major ass, and probably would have set a record if snakes actually had asses to kick.

I saw it and wasnt expecting much, and in the end, didnt get much. Seem'ed a bit confused where it wanted to go, classic B movie, gore, horror, humor? I like when movies combine a lot of different genre's but rarely do they succeed and this is just another example of one that fell through (like Shaun of the Dead last year).

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't think Shaun of the Dead was a bad flick, but your point stands because it WAS the most overrated flick ever on the Internet (it was an OK movie, but you'd think it was Citizen Kane from the comments). I have a bigger issue why I can't enjoy Snakes on a Plane though, which is pretty much perfectly summed up in this Chuck Klosterman article.

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2006/060706_mfe_August_06_Klosterman.html

My feelings exactly.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
HawaiianStallion said:
I saw it and wasnt expecting much, and in the end, didnt get much. Seem'ed a bit confused where it wanted to go, classic B movie, gore, horror, humor? I like when movies combine a lot of different genre's but rarely do they succeed and this is just another example of one that fell through (like Shaun of the Dead last year).

I agree with you about everything but your feelings about Shaun of the Dead. I hadn't heard about Shaun until the day I seen it so there was no hype for me and I loved it. I was a little disappointed with Snakes and I wasn't very entertained. Clerks 2 is still my pick for best movie this summer.

Vaxillus

"Griffith No More!" said:
I don't think Shaun of the Dead was a bad flick, but your point stands because it WAS the most overrated flick ever on the Internet (it was an OK movie, but you'd think it was Citizen Kane from the comments). I have a bigger issue why I can't enjoy Snakes on a Plane though, which is pretty much perfectly summed up in this Chuck Klosterman article.

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2006/060706_mfe_August_06_Klosterman.html

My feelings exactly.
No offense Griff, but that article was pretty crappy. It's overthinking a stupid fad that will likely die and be forgotten in less than a year. Sure, the movie failed at failing, but who cares. The entire fad is as much, perhaps even moreso, a joke about the movie industry's gullibility as it is about the movie's stupidity. If Hollywood does decide to churn out more of this garbage, as the author of that article seems to fear, nothing will really change. There hasn't been a truly good movie in the action/horror genre in at least five years, so it'll just be the same crap in a different flaming bag. I don't think there's any danger of seeing a movie called Gays on a Ranch anytime soon (I can't think of any other 'good' movies with titles I can mess with, I stopped watching them after I figured out they were mostly crap too). Just remember, the less you complain the faster it'll die :carcus:.

Then again, I try to avoid movie blogs and such, perhaps I've been spared the full pain of this movie's reputation.

Shaun of the dead was ok. Nothing worthy of multiple viewings, and DEFINITELY not as good as everyone makes it out to be. Glad to see the genre getting some attention though.

Snakes on a Plane was amazing. The most fun that i have ever had in a theater, hands down. It was just me and two of my mates, and it was the 10:30 showing on Thursday. 90% of the enjoyment factor of this movie was the atmosphere in the theater. If i saw the same movie by myself at my house, it would suck, or at least lose most of its value. People cheering when they saw the title, and especially when Jackson delivers the signature line.

No use really recommending cause this is the kind of movie that you either done care one iota about or have beeing looking foward to for months.

Either way, GREAT experience and well worth the coinage :guts:

Griffith

Vaxillus said:
No offense Griff, but that article was pretty crappy.

None taken, but that post was even crappier, so what's your point? =)

TheBeast43105 said:
Shaun of the dead was ok. Nsothing worthy of multiple viewings, and DEFINITELY not as good as everyone makes it out to be.

I'm waiting for the Shaun of the Dead backlash, what happened to all the people that thought it was the movie of the decade a year ago? I remember all those posts like, "I SAW IT FIVE TIMES AND THE FITH TIME IT WAS ACTUALLY FUNNY!"

Well, something like that. :troll:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I enjoyed Shaun of the Dead. I thought it was pretty damn funny. Period.
But then again I never really paid much attention to the internets about it (I think my tube is clogged).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=Chuck Klosterman]
If a film never takes itself seriously and originates as satire, everything is different; its badness means something else entirely. SOAP doesn't fit into either category: It doesn't take itself seriously, but it's not a satire.[/quote]
[quote author=CNN]
Jackson himself had promised that "Snakes on a Plane" would not be so-bad-it's-good campy, that he wouldn't appear in a film like that. He is a man who doesn't mess around, and he didn't lie. The movie is indeed hilarious, but only when it intends to be.[/quote]
Some conflicting info here. I'm going to see it because the trailer was funny, and I guess for all the "wrong" reasons according to Chuck up there.

Vaxillus

There are actually a few moments where it tries to be funny and succeeds, but a lot of it the 'horror' scenes are the MST3K kinda funny.

Again I think this movie missed the mark in a couple of ways. I mean the title was pretty much B movie gold, yet they wanted nothing to do with that (studio, director, etc.) and I'm not sure why as it wasnt gonna amount to anything more.

Yet they tried anyway, but I'm not sure what they were going for as the director out right said the movie would not be campy or hokey, which is probably where they should have went aside from a few moments. This is what I was talking about before, I'm not sure what they were tryin for except to see whether an internet campaign like this would actually work out into real world money.

It tried to be funny at times and was hit or miss. It tried to be gory a lot of times and again, hit or miss. Tried to be scary... mostly if not always miss in my opinion (The Descent whooped its ass in this category), and this trend continued through out. It basically failed to live up to anything but a B movie, and failed at that even, as it resisted the notion that it was anything but.

Oburi

All praise Grail
What do you mean the title is "a bit poor". It's actually a tad genius. A campy title for a campy movie. I saw it opening night and i must say it was the most fun I've ever had in a theater. Everyone was laughing and cheering everytime Jackson killed a snake whether it be with a speargun or hairspray flame thrower. And of course everyone sang along with Jackson's most memorable line.

Oberi said:
What do you mean the title is "a bit poor".  It's actually a tad genius. A campy title for a campy movie. 

Exactly, i know that I wouldnt have been as interested if the movie had been called " Pacific Air Flight 121", like the studio execs had wanted.

Griffith

I just thought it was worth mentioning that the "most fun" movie with the "genius" title totally fucking fell off the face of the Earth, much like this thread.

It's comforting to know that the Internet is still meaningless, even in hype itself. =)

Top Bottom