Guts lost weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me or does Guts appearance seem to change in volume 23(?). It's at the end of the Demon City volume, can't remember which cause I'm not at home right now. It's kinda hard to tell, but it seems like his facial features have depressed somewhat. What I mean is, he lost most of the fat from his face. I'm not talking about the white hair, that's obvious, but in volume 30, when that Lord confronts him in vritanis, you see a front view of him, and he looks like his cheeks sunk in or something. That's probably a result from using the Berserker armor, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
aquateenz said:
Is it just me or does Guts appearance seem to change in volume 23(?).

That would be from volume 27 on.

aquateenz said:
That's probably a result from using the Berserker armor, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

He's been in bad shape because of all his wounds, so he's lost weight. It's visible in his character design on purpose, of course (so you're definitely not seeing things). The characters actually comment on it in the manga.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
Here's to hoping he can regain his health on the boatride. If I was him, and trouble started on the boat, I'd sit back and let Serpico and the other guys take care of things, but that's just not Guts' style. So if any action does go on, he'll probably take action, unless the females forcefully subdue him.

I was wondering this for awhile myself. I couldn't tell at first if it was just a stylistic change on Miura's part or not. I think it was intentional though 'cus Schierke comments about it later on in Volume 29 when she is looking after Guts. I think that the weight loss was also mentioned prior to that like somebody else pointed out too. When you look back on the volumes it is kind of funny to see the transition... however slight it is.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Waychel said:
I think it was intentional though 'cus Schierke comments about it later on in Volume 29 when she is looking after Guts. I think that the weight loss was also mentioned prior to that like somebody else pointed out too.

Yeah, you just have to read my post when I confirm that it's the case. It's not a question that's open to doubt, it was definitely an intentional change.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DoM said:
It might also be related to the fact that he ain't really eating much lately?

That doesn't seem to be a problem in itself (we can see him eating normally with the others). Even assuming he ate less during his early recovery it's still really just related to his general condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom