Are there any non-Berserk Young Animal serials worth a damn?

I pick up every YA the day it hits the stands for Berserk, but after the five minutes it takes to read the latest episode I have a fat stack of worthless newspaper. As far as I can tell the other manga in YA are shit, but if anyone could clue me in to some that may be worth paying attention to I would appreciate it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well considering you have the magazine I think you can judge that by yourself pretty easily. It won't take you 3 hours to skim through it. Futari H is relatively popular, it's about sex. Then there's Cestus that's drawn by a former assistant of Miura (so he's actually good with the art, no wonder with such a model), it's about Roman gladiators. That's pretty much the crop of the cream if your main interest isn't to see boobs.

But basically, don't expect to find anything interesting besides Berserk in there.

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Aazealh said:
Then there's Cestus that's drawn by a former assistant of Miura (so he's actually good with the art, no wonder with such a model), it's about Roman gladiators.

I knew it!! I could always tell some kind of Miura influence with Cestus. I can't remember now if the author's name is Romanized in the YA (if so, I probably could have not been lazy and cross-checked the info) but thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah, I'd agree that Cestus is one of the only other manga with any real redeeming value in YA. There are a couple other titles with somewhat decent art, but not much going on in the story department.

A true YA classic to look for is Air Master. :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheSkyTraveller said:
I can't remember now if the author's name is Romanized in the YA

Yeah, it's romanized: Wazarai Shizuya. But actually, now that I check his name again, he was never listed as being an assistant on any Berserk volume, so that might have just been my tired mind at work here, sorry. Ah well, I guess I shouldn't post when sleep deprived.

TheSkyTraveller said:
A true YA classic to look for is Air Master. :schierke:

What about Spider Sniper? :badbone:

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Aazealh said:
Yeah, it's romanized: Wazarai Shizuya. But actually, now that I check his name again, he was never listed as being an assistant on any Berserk volume, so that might have just been my tired mind at work here, sorry. Ah well, I guess I shouldn't post when sleep deprived.

D'oh! :troll: Well, I still see an influence, and I've always wondered about it, assistant or not.

Oh yes, Spider Sniper. How could I forget? :casca:

JIN

Yudanero...
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Don't you be putting down my Air Master! :puck:

Haha.. I'm reminded of a scene from the Airmaster anime.
Airmaster_Guts.jpg

Aazealh said:

Don't you be putting down my Spider Sniper! :troll:

Air Master -- Ok art wise.. problem is most of the fighting happens in the same run down building for a year at a time (real time! =P)

Spider Sniper -- Nice art. The kind that could lend itself to eventually becoming animated (like 'Mouse" ). But theres the whole "cant read this one on the bus or at lunch due to explicit sexual representations and such thingee" going on there.

Cestus -- Great art. Done well enough to follow the story without knowing Japanese (very important for the Japanese impaired). Morikawa's Hajime no Ippo, with the slavery twist. My moneys on Makunouchi in a fight.

Ha Gun -- (least I think its the name..actually its the only part of the title in English... note to self: do better research) This series is new. Began issue 10 of this year and is enjoyable*. Good art, well paced story visually. Now far as example of content.. um super strong guy battles copters, tanks, missiles, satellite weapons then has a YA** moment, gets swept up in bright light that takes him to feudal Japan where he continues to kick the daisies out of samurai, ninja, horses and anything else that picks a fight.

* (7) - On the YA scale of enjoyability :puck:
{(10) being Berserk---- (1) being the comic about the dolphin}

** YA moment is when random explicit sex breaks out.

Top Bottom