Frank Miller's 300

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well I just saw the movie and I REALLY hated it. It's completely inaccurate, historically speaking. This is a fucking scandal. Spartacus is rolling in his grave right now.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well seeing how it was based on the graphical novel. I don't think they were going to complete realism here in describing what actually happened.

I still want to see it but they haven't even ran any commercials here in Japan for it... Ugggh... that means it could take MONTHS for it to even come over.....

TO THE INTERNET FOR MY FIX! :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Well seeing how it was based on the graphical novel. I don't think they were going to complete realism here in describing what actually happened.

There's a graphic novel?! :isidro: Who's the author? Stan Lee?

Radzeke

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
Aazealh said:
There's a graphic novel?! :isidro: Who's the author? Stan Lee?

Yes there is, I'm surprised you don't know that, because I did, and I've seen it. I haven't read it, but after I saw the movie I had to see it for myself. I really loved the movie, I loved it before I even saw it as a matter of fact. I just have an innate talent to see the greatness in things; I practice every morning in the mirror! Anyway, since I loved the movie so much, I decided to check out this comic whatsits that's apparently based on it. And I must say, I think the artwork was simply beautiful; I think its gorgeous, and I think I'm a pretty good judge of these things, if I do say so myself. Since I love the movie so much, and I think the artwork of the novella is so good in my opinion, I can't wait... not to read it. I loved the movie so much based on the graphic novella with the artwork that I think looks so good that's based on the movie I love so much, that I have no interest in reading it! I hope eveybody understands the deep thoughts I'm thinking here, because I have a lot more deep thoughts from myself coming soon and if you've already fallen behind it's going to be hard to catch up with me, let alone contain me. So you better sit back in awe and compliment my efforts or else I'll never post again because you guys are too stupid to get it and you're all my problem I'm not yours and it's your loss that i'm going and I'm real important over at captainkirk.com and animechanmolesters.net and people cruficy their profits and make martys out of them I saw it on LOST and posted a great post about it on lostnumberslost.lost and you'll all be sorry you don't have me around to kick around anymore because I'm not gonna post like this again instead I'mma keep shut my pretty goddamn mouth once and for all Toodles FOREVER... SPARTA!@!!!!

WATCH THE SMART STUFF WITH ME NEW FISH, THIS BACK TO THE FUTURE-LIKE MOVE IS ONLY THE TIP OF MY POWERS AND I WILL EAT YOUR BRAIN IF GIVEN THE CHAENCE!

Radzeke

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
I MEAN IT! I'M REALLY GONE SO LEAVE ME ALONE! DON't MAKE ME PULL OVER AND PULL DOWN MY PANTS AND BELT!!

SKuLL LoRD said:
WATCH THE SMART STUFF WITH ME NEW FISH, THIS BACK TO THE FUTURE-LIKE MOVE IS ONLY THE TIP OF MY POWERS AND I WILL EAT YOUR BRAIN IF GIVEN THE CHAENCE!
I need new underwear. :judo:

I just got back from i...actually no, I saw it last night. Was "good" in a sense it was an enjoyable film. I guess like S.O.A.P, its something you may enjoy more or less depending on how much you give in to the Internet hype. There were parts I was "Disappointed" in, but eh, twas good overall.

How can anyone NOT enjoy a movie where the heroes are basically cracking up that millions of arrows are raining on them? And then just chopping all of their heads off 5 minutes later?

But I agree, TOTAL INACCURACIES HERE OH EM GEE CALL THE HISTORY CHANNEL

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I just managed to catch it yesterday, and what a delightful film it is! :casca: I've been waiting to see this since... last year, I guess, and it's one of the few movies that hasn't made me feel bamboozled after putting it on a pedestal with my outrageously high expectations! :puck:

Anyhow, I just thought it was hilarious this morning, when I heard on the radio about how a bunch of Persians in the Bay Area are protesting the way that they were so unfairly depicted in 300. I, as a Persian myself, am proud to see that Xerxes was indeed a [hide]big fat Brazilian drag queen.[/hide] :void: Huzzah!

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Aazealh said:
Well I just saw the movie and I REALLY hated it. It's completely inaccurate, historically speaking. This is a fucking scandal. Spartacus is rolling in his grave right now.
Historical accuracy? HA! Have you learned nothing of Hollywood?

DemonX v.2.0 said:
And I'm not sure if everyone noticed this or if it was just my theater, but for everyone that has seen the movie, was the music slightly louder then the dialogue? There were several of parts where I missed what was said because of the music.

I was wondering if anyone who hadn't read the novel would have this problem. Sometimes I noticed that the dialogue was hard to hear, but the only reason I knew what they were saying was because I know what they say in the graphic novel. And with the added dialogue that wasn't written by Frank Miller, who really gives a shit about it anyways?

creampuff_war

haven't you already paid enough for your life?
I thought the movie was freakin awesome. I haven't read the graphic novel but I've enjoyed everything I've seen of Frank Miller's so I'm sure it's badass too.

Personally, I loved the cgi backgrounds. It was art! The movie is like nothing else I can remember seeing, and I, personally, don't think it should be compared to Spartacus or Ben Hur because the "feel" of the movies is completely different.

I know that doesn't make any sense, but 300 is like a "new" or modern avant-garde piece that uses Thermapolye(sp?) as a backdrop....where, I suppose, Ben Hur and Spartacus would be more of a "glimpse into the past" piece (like Apocalypto).

Judo

Midlands finest
I'll bet the movie isn't as half entertaining as this thread...
005.gif

no, seriously... i'm still uncertain if i want to see this flilm in the theater.
i really liked the graphic novel but i don't see how a 120min-flick can be made out of this simple plotline.
furthermore the cgi-backgrounds look a little bit too over-styled to me.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Judo said:
I'll bet the movie isn't as half entertaining as this thread...
005.gif

no, seriously... i'm still uncertain if i want to see this flilm in the theater.
i really liked the graphic novel but i don't see how a 120min-flick can be made out of this simple plotline.
furthermore the cgi-backgrounds look a little bit too over-styled to me.
As my co-worker just put it, its just an over the top testosterone flick! Which I think the graphic novel was, never read it though... but I'm sure it was along the same lines.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Aazealh said:
Well Spartacus and Ben Hur were historically accurate at least! :schierke:
I should have specified modern Hollywood. My Classical World of Greece and Rome professor was telling us how they often hire classicists to help with said historical accuracy and then ignore almost everything they say. This was the case for Gladiator at least.

If a film like "300" won't impress you guys or even find your likely, I really don't know anything that will. This counting towards people who would at least consider trying to see the film. I'm not saying its the greatest thing ever made, but I find very ironic that in fact the film reminds me of Berserk....A lot! If they were to make a Berserk film, the action scenes in "300" are what I would except of a Berserk movie. Its the only thing I seen to even come close to the Berserk style. Thats saying a lot. 300 has good action in its own right.

Not to get off topic, but on that note... I was thinking the other day, that it would be great if Ridley Scott could direct a Berserk movie, based on what he has done with Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, as opposed to directors who do this sort of film. I mean really, the action scenes in Kingdom of Heaven wouldn't be THAT different (aside from apostles and supernatural things) from a Kushan/Band of the Hawk battle, and you know Scott could handle the supernatural elements (the man did Blade Runner with Rutger Hauer, afterall). Plus, Miura stated in that interview on the DVDs that he's a Ridley Scott fan. Frankly, I enjoyed those two films far more than 300, because they injected fiction into a film that still remained (relatively) true to the period.

Granted, KoH still had the obligatory love story, and the real Balian was already married and surrendered peacefully to save his family and remaining troops, but it didn't disrupt things. With Gladiator, the records weren't clear in most of the areas that they fictionalized, and those they purposely contradicted were simply to appeal to the average movie goer, so I was willing to let it slide. My argument is simply that there is a necessary uneasiness caused when a film or book goes too far astray from its historical roots, even if the author intended it do so; this natural reaction makes these films less enjoyable, and consequently worse films.

This actually occured to me the other day, and I was working on gathering some screen shots and whatnot on Ridley's work to make this case in the Berserk on a Motion picture thread, but I think it's somewhat relevant to mention it here in this context.

EDIT: Also, before people chastise me on the historical accuracy of KoH, I would really recommend checking out the director's cut. Scott actually made the film longer and omitted some parts to make it more accurate; on the commentary, he says that the studio forced him into some inaccuracies to make for a better story, and this cut was simply the most accurate he could create with the footage he had (and not changing major plot points).

Well, for one if you knew 300 was based off the Graphic novel and in fact a Frank Miller story I don't know why you would expect a full out historical movie. As far as I know Frank Miller never even claiming the movie historically accurate. Frank Miller just did what a lot of people have done. Take a interesting story and twisting it with his own style.

On the other note I agree Scott would be a good pick to direct a Berserk movie. I like the grime effect he did with Domino.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Death May Die said:
On the other note I agree Scott would be a good pick to direct a Berserk movie. I like the grime effect he did with Domino.

Domino was directed by Tony Scott, Ridley Scott's brother.

And can we please give the whole "300 is/isn't historically accurate" thing a rest? It's getting a little old.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
And can we please give the whole "300 is/isn't historically accurate" thing a rest? It's getting a little old.

Yeah, and the "Berserk movie" thing can go too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1598886,00.html?cnn=yes

[quote author=TIME.com guy]
All of Tehran was outraged. Everywhere I went yesterday, the talk vibrated with indignation over the film 300 — a movie no one in Iran has seen but everyone seems to know about since it became a major box office surprise in the U.S. [/quote]
:carcus:

Walter said:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1598886,00.html?cnn=yes
:carcus:
Damn, posted it before I could, but I heard it on the news earlier this morning, not from the internets (for once). I actually laughed really hard. The way they worded it, they apparently aren't aware it's based on a graphic novel that precedes the -current- Iraq/Iran+US ALLUSIVE MOVIE by about 7-8 years. I can't wait to see their version.

Question is, WILL IT BE MORE HISTORICALLY ACCURATE?!

Top Bottom