Episode 278

Walter said:
Well, there's also the intro to episode 244, where Serpico and Isidro are boasting about how awesome the Hawks were and what a powerful leader Griffith was. Farnese also noticed in episode 175 when Guts uttered Griffith's name, but it's not nearly as direct as the above example.

I half expected Serpico to say "Griffith?!" when Guts said his name to Zodd, but... nope. Anyway you're right in that most of the group is ignorant of Guts relationship to such a significant hero in the Hundred Years' War. Like you said, I have a feeling that might change soon, with some alone time on the boat.

Wow, I really dropped the ball when I said they don't know about Griffith. I had forgotten that episode. They even knew about how the raid leader supposedly caused Griffith's downfall. Maybe there is a chance that a few of them have figured out that Guts was a member of the Hawks, and maybe even be fairly sure that he was the raid leader. They're bound to bring it up eventually, they can't think he's grinding his teeth at Griffith's name for nothing.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
mike.william said:
They even knew about how the raid leader supposedly caused Griffith's downfall.

Actually, they don't talk about that (it's a translation error). They just say that ironically, it's also said that the discord between the King of Midland and Griffith is the reason Midland is in such a state.

Thank you Saiya & Aaz for the episode.

I cracked up a little bit on page 15 seeing Magnifico moving Guts' sword & Azan still sleeping on a boat. So much sexiness in this episode: Kudos to Serpico for holding back Guts from pushing his luck.  :serpico:

Farnese's reflection on her parents, Griffith's appearance, Kushan sea forces retreating, beautiful Miura. You deserve the break.  :miura:

And with a month long wait again, it leaves plenty of time to speculate how the story will go. With the dawn there & a Kushan land general unaccounted for, I"m hoping for some more apostle action with Locus, Grunberd & Irvine against whatever's left in the Kushan arsenal. That and cutting back to Farnese's parents to see how her dad reacts to Farnese's & Magnifico's absence. Not to mention the city's denizen's reports of monsters (and all there corpses at the docks) are going to be interpreted by the Holy See.

What will Guts' crew encounter at sea? I believe it's a given they're going to pry into Guts' past & may even play "put-the-pieces" together amongst them while Guts is sleeping: I just want to see Guts' reaction to the group when they confront him on matters concerning Zodd & Griffith. And Azan... I hope some of his past is explored on the boat ride. It'll be a laugh at least for his reaction to Farnese's way of life since she left in pursuit of Guts.

"You're training to be a witch now from this little girl!?"  :troll:

It'll also be interesting to see how Isidro interprets the balding knight & his over-the-top ethics. Perhaps a new role model?  :carcus:

Once again, thanks Saiya & Aaz for the episode.

(first post of a long time lurker)
Many thanks SaiyajinNoOuji for providing this scan.

I really liked the dialogues between Guts and Zodd.

Another great episode in Berserk!A lot of predicted things happened and almost exactly like some said it would happen with that!

Anyway I'm glad that this battle is over for the group it's one of the worst night(if not THE worst one) they may have been through yet!
Nevertheless Guts will have a pretty bad time now, his injuries are severe and they wont have a peacefull cruising IMO!  hopefully Aazan is there and will be a precious support to the group and I think that priceless moment between him and Isidoro await us!

Now it's the time for a Neo-Hawk period and whatever happen will be crucial now,
I still wonder if there is a land general and how the hell is he supposed to defeat the Hawk if his emperor himself have been "defeated"?!
I hope(and think) that Kushans have alot more tricks up their sleeves but honestly from now on I can't foretell their plan because even if Ganishka is a kind of "Kamikaze"(destroy all you can!Even if I die the Hawk wont have what he wants") I don't think that he intends to be defeated like that...

It's just wait(speculate) and see I suppose...anyway great thanks to Saiya&Aaz you made my day!
(the same goes for Mahlernut and his incredibly fast translation!)

Mad Angel Loki said:
Now it's the time for a Neo-Hawk period and whatever happen will be crucial now,
I still wonder if there is a land general and how the hell is he supposed to defeat the Hawk if his emperor himself have been "defeated"?!

Well, really, it wasn't the Neo-Hawks that did the dissipating of Ganishka... :guts: and as far as we know, there isn't another Dragonslayer-like weapon.Although, Zodd might start thinking "You know...that Guts guy...he's got a pretty cool sword...I wonder how he got it..." and then proceed to kill most of the apostle army in pursuit of the Ultimate Strong Sword. :troll:

It would be interesting if the Holy See has some sort of prophecy concerning the events that happened at the docks (lots of burnt demon like creatures, giants made out of fog, etc.).

Abstraction

Darkness is looking back at you
Well I pretty much missed out on this discussion... being that I only have internet at work right now.  :puck:

But I thought this episode was amazing. I like how Roderick asked Guts if he knew Zodd. I was also expecting Isidro to say, what!? Griffith? after hearing Guts ask Zodd, if he was coming too.

But like what was mentioned before about the HICK's of the group knowing more about the prophecy, and what not... I've been awaiting along time for a freakin think tank with everyone. And now that they'll be bored, on a sailing ship... perfect time for a wholesome bedtime story, that is Guts life...lol.

I found it interesting that an apostle would forget the taste of human flesh. Maybe this, and the scene where Sonia went into the evil soldiers camp, is telling us that Griffith has made an order to not kill any more humans. (so that his portrayal of a savior, is seen just as that)

Even if its not a direct order to not kill humans at all. (I'm sure they'd find their ways) But definetly during the attack on Virtanis, I'm sure they weren't allowed to eat any human's, or else it wouldn't look like Griffith's army was saving anybody.

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Thanks Aaz, thanks Saiya,

Very good episode the three last pages are awesome :guts:

Guts and Zodd can face to face without a fight, they become more adult and mature lol

but the end with Griffith and guts seeing each other is really the greatest part of the episode.

Guts can finally regain a little strenght

Good Episode, thanks guys. One particular shot I loved that comes to mind is page 8, where Zodd is strangling the Apostle so hard his eyes look like they are about to pop out. ;D

As for Azan, I am glad to see him reunite with the others, probably mostly because Miura has made the story anticipate his return into the story again since he had parted with Farnese and Serpico. He should be a good contribution to the group as far as his fighting ability and bravery goes, but I have to admit I'm yet to become overly sentimental of him as a character. Many might argue otherwise but to me, he hasn't really shown much in the way of character depth yet.
Now he's back in the story there's plenty of time for him to show more personality outside of his knightly pride statements.

Another thing I found interesting was, if the translation context of Guts more or less telling Zodd to piss off accurate. I have said this before but In a way I respect Zodd's character more after showing that he won't show violence through his pride alone. Even after Guts spoke to him like he was at his Mercy (which he probably wasn't) while telling him to fly as he commanded, he did so.
Now again, responding to Guts obnoxious command for him to leave, Zodd listened as if he is beyond something like that to bother him. The only time he displayed any real threat is of course, when Guts made it clear he still wanted to kill Griffith.

On a side note, one thing in particular I was almost certain about but wanted clarified, regarding the last Episode when Guts and Zodd injured Ganishka, it was the DS's power through cutting through so many ethereal beings that made it possible to hurt Ganishka... right?

BTW page 6 of Guts getting up would look absolutely fantastic if certain talented members on the forum coloured this one well.... just planting the seeds. ^_^

While Azan hasn't had the kind of development afforded to those such as Farnese, but Miura has given hints of his past at the end of vol. 21. When he reminisces of the incident where the refugees locked him and his knights (along with other refugees) outside, he mentions it was the second time he had met such a fate.

Now that he's with the group, I'm really excited to see what happened when he went back to report to his authorities after the Oblivion arc.

Well Guts did dissipate Ganishka but IMO nothing would be possible without Zodd's help (considering Schierke's state) but who know...
Sparnage said:
As for Azan, I am glad to see him reunite with the others, probably mostly because Miura has made the story anticipate his return into the story again since he had parted with Farnese and Serpico. He should be a good contribution to the group as far as his fighting ability and bravery goes, but I have to admit I'm yet to become overly sentimental of him as a character. Many might argue otherwise but to me, he hasn't really shown much in the way of character depth yet.
Now he's back in the story there's plenty of time for him to show more personality outside of his knightly pride statements.
IMO there is more to him that his knightly behaviour...a simple example would be why does he wear his helmet night and day(it may just be a stupid question but heh anything could happen)...how can someone like him live a so miserable life?The last time we saw him "normal" was when he was leaving to the HOLY SEE ;he was kinda responsible of Farnese daughter of the Vandimion and she ran away,the entire troop was decimated so I doubt that the welcome was nice and warm...so who know how does he feel right now!
Anyway I'm glad he joined the group!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
[Azan] hasn't really shown much in the way of character depth yet.
Yota said above what I wanted to say far more eloquently and far more NICELY than I could have   :void: *still seething from your anti-Azan sentiments*

Sparnage said:
it was the DS's power through cutting through so many ethereal beings that made it possible to hurt Ganishka... right?
Well, it was clarified many, many times in the 277 thread, but yes, Guts remembered what Skull Knight told  him about the DS in episode 220: it has retained astral properties from killing so many demons.

hmm so whats up with Guts and Griffith locking eyes. I really liked that at the end, Makes me want to speculate but I'd like to hear other peoples view points on it instead. Reason Im asking is because it takes up 4 pages, and Griffith is looking at Guts and not Zodd or Casca or anyone else.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
Woah, just had a discussion with Aaz about this ep, this episode brought a close to a lot of events for the time being, bringing a lot of predictions to a head. This episode also set up an unfathomable amount of possibilities in regards to what direction the story will take, and what events will transpire from now until the arrival at Elfhelm. Beautiful work by Miura, I join in the joyful tear shedding :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
hmm so whats up with Guts and Griffith locking eyes. ... Makes me want to speculate but I'd like to hear other peoples view points on it instead. Reason Im asking is because it takes up 4 pages, and Griffith is looking at Guts and not Zodd or Casca or anyone else.
I felt it was pretty self explanatory... Does it really have to attach itself to some broader speculation? It's just a pure, dramatic moment of the two main characters locking eyes across a distance. I guess if you really want to decode it, Griffith's acknowledged that Guts is more than just a bug.

Btw, I really like the shadow cast by Griffith's figure on the horizon; visually ominous :griff:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I wouldn't even say that much about the scene (Guts could still be a bug, just one Griff knows), and yeah, I don't think we need to read so much into the more subtle, intangible moments either, it kind of spoils the point of them.

On that note, Casca's reaction to Zodd and co. earlier may not have been the brand so much as she was seeing giant, snarling monsters right in front of her? The simplest solutions... (of course, it might be a top-secret Griffith/moonlight child connection! =)

And I'm with Wally on the shadow, really jumped out at me too as looking contrastingly monsterous. Like it could reach out and grab them.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mad Angel Loki said:
A lot of predicted things happened and almost exactly like some said it would happen with that!

:badbone:

Mad Angel Loki said:

Well, he's not necessarily going to win the battle, and he probably wouldn't be fighting on a personal level (generals rarely do) anyway. It'd be a battle on a larger scale. Ganishka could always come back at some point too, although the fog dissipating makes this unlikely for now. Lastly, there's the possibility of the land general actually attacking a different location, with 2 quasi-simultaneous attacks on different places.

Malachai said:
as far as we know, there isn't another Dragonslayer-like weapon.

I wouldn't camp too much on that idea though, some of the Neo Hawks have unnatural weapons (e.g. Locus' lance) and Griffith is what he is, so it might not be much of a problem for them to attain the same effect (just sticking to the Hawks and not mentioning SK's sword here). Besides, they could always find his hideout and get him there (yes, I like that idea). So while for now the DS is the only weapon we know of that has such properties, I wouldn't be surprised if we were to learn of more.

Malachai said:
Although, Zodd might start thinking "You know...that Guts guy...he's got a pretty cool sword...I wonder how he got it..."

I'd say he was already thinking that in volume 22, he even commented on it. :guts:

Abstraction said:
I found it interesting that an apostle would forget the taste of human flesh. Maybe this, and the scene where Sonia went into the evil soldiers camp, is telling us that Griffith has made an order to not kill any more humans.

I think it was already made evident by the scene in volume 23 that the apostles weren't allowed to eat humans anymore. Not even Kushan prisoners, so of course not "allied" civilians.

Sparnage said:
I have to admit I'm yet to become overly sentimental of him as a character. Many might argue otherwise but to me, he hasn't really shown much in the way of character depth yet.

Well, he didn't have much focus yet, so that's sort of normal. I think he's had some pretty interesting development in the past as yota821 pointed out, but of course that can't compare to the 10 volumes Farnese (for example) has had.

Sparnage said:
I have said this before but In a way I respect Zodd's character more after showing that he won't show violence through his pride alone. Even after Guts spoke to him like he was at his Mercy (which he probably wasn't) while telling him to fly as he commanded, he did so.

The thing is that both Zodd and Guts knew very well who was at who's mercy. Zodd was pretty straight when he told him what the situation was, and was relatively disdainful in saying he had no business with Guts. Guts just replied that it was the same for him before telling him to get lost.

Sparnage said:
it was the DS's power through cutting through so many ethereal beings that made it possible to hurt Ganishka... right?

Yes, but not necessarily ethereal beings (as these don't include apostles).

Walter said:
I guess if you really want to decode it, Griffith's acknowledged that Guts is more than just a bug.

Seems a bit presumptuous to interpret the scene this way to me. It could really be a lot of things, and like you and Griffith justly said, there's no need to try to view too much into it (at least for now).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, ok maybe I was a little over-indulgent in my reading of that look, but that really wasn't my point. Just proves that it shouldn't be read into at ALL, beyond the obvious emotions it conjures up.

Anyway, moving into the future, the "At Sea Arc."  From Roderick's line "...our last look at land for a while", we very well may be spending several months with the Band on the ocean.  What do you guys expect? While everyone and their mom has speculated on an origin/retelling for Guts and Azan to the Band, MY money is on a GHOST SHIP :isidro: 

Maybe even with a rogue apostle/pirate/ghost as its captain  :badbone:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Anyway, moving into the future, the "At Sea Arc." From Roderick's line "...our last look at land for a while", we very well may be spending several months with the Band on the ocean. What do you guys expect? While everyone and their mom has speculated on an origin/retelling for Guts and Azan to the Band, MY money is on a GHOST SHIP :isidro:

Maybe even with a rogue apostle/pirate/ghost as its captain :badbone:

A line of "...our last look at land for a while" from a person from a naval nation could easily be a couple months. I'm sure there will be SOME kind of narrative that takes place out to sea, whether it be they encounter something or they just talk to each other (and become a tighter group). I still think that we're going to see more of whats happening on the mainland next.

S

smoke

Maybe there'll be a totally awesome Kraken and some really gross captain guy with tentacles for beards and Johnny Depp and....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Those who don't have the volumes already should buy them right away!

Anyway, if anybody's interested, there's an announcement in this Young Animal about Berserk T-shirts (2 different designs). More details to come in the next issue (YA #17).

Splendid episode this is my favorite episode in a long time. The last year for me Berserk has been in a torpor just hack 'n slash mostly, volumized in a single book this wouldn't seem unnatural at all and rather exciting but when you are reading 1 episode every two weeks or so, when a single battle can stretch a month it gets monotonous. This episode I feel ties up all the strands of the story together very well, Zodd, Azan, Griffith, the ship all make it in.

A question I always had concerning the generic apostles such as the ones that Zodd takes into battle or part of Locus' squad or just the ones in Volume 22 that battle the Kushan are they like the apostles we seen before? That is do they all have Beherits? Because prior to Volume 22, Apostles were far more personalized, each one explored in detail and quite unique in background and power but with the reformation of the Band of the Hawk Apostles are now commonplace and share similar traits.

Top Bottom