Episode 278

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EUIX said:
A question I always had concerning the generic apostles such as the ones that Zodd takes into battle or part of Locus' squad or just the ones in Volume 22 that battle the Kushan are they like the apostles we seen before? That is do they all have Beherits?

They're like the other apostles, yes (which just means that they're apostles basically...). And they used a beherit at some point to reach that status obviously, but I doubt most of them still have one. You know beherits, they come and go. There could also be some quasi-apostles in the lot, but nothing has hinted at it so far.

EUIX said:
Because prior to Volume 22, Apostles were far more personalized, each one explored in detail and quite unique in background and power but with the reformation of the Band of the Hawk Apostles are now commonplace and share similar traits.

Well obviously every single apostle in Griffith's army can't get a personalized background and focus, detailing his uniqueness and all. That just wouldn't be feasible. Besides, like humans, they're not all that different if you look at them a thousand at a time, so similar traits such as "being monsters" and all they encompass are normal. I do think most of them have a unique design that manages to differentiate them from the rest though. And on a side note, I don't think apostles were more personalized during the Occultation, which is the only other time where we saw a massive amount of them together.

You also have to keep in mind that we haven't seen much of what Guts did during the 2 years he spent hunting apostles as the Black Swordsman, so while the story focused on a few remarkable adversaries, there were probably 10 times more unremarkable ones like those composing the ranks of the Neo Hawks that we never saw him fight.

EUIX said:
A question I always had concerning the generic apostles such as the ones that Zodd takes into battle or part of Locus' squad or just the ones in Volume 22 that battle the Kushan are they like the apostles we seen before? That is do they all have Beherits? Because prior to Volume 22, Apostles were far more personalized, each one explored in detail and quite unique in background and power but with the reformation of the Band of the Hawk Apostles are now commonplace and share similar traits.
The personalized apostles you mention were usually used as plot devices in one way or another earlier in the series, and that's why they were so personalized. Guts has probably killed several lesser, "vanilla" apostles throughout his years as the black swordsman behind the scenes, as has been suggested by his reputation. We're now at the point where we know enough about apostles, we know enough about the setting, and we know enough about Guts for every apostle to not have to warrant special attention.

More importantly, villains like the generals of the Neo-Hawks (who are apostles themselves), and non-villains like those in Guts' band take up the role that apostles and those involved with them used to have.

CnC

Ad Oculos
EUIX said:
A question I always had concerning the generic apostles such as the ones that Zodd takes into battle or part of Locus' squad or just the ones in Volume 22 that battle the Kushan are they like the apostles we seen before? That is do they all have Beherits? Because prior to Volume 22, Apostles were far more personalized, each one explored in detail and quite unique in background and power but with the reformation of the Band of the Hawk Apostles are now commonplace and share similar traits.

Yes, they're apostles who at one time had beherits. Whether or not they still have them is unknown.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
GoHF said:
And that's the way you end an arc. Pure awesome.

Well, I know people have been saying that, but the current arc hasn't ended. Neither did the chapter (I guess theorically it could end soon if Vritannis were to become Falconia though).

rick said:
i want some tshirts!!!

To apply for them you'll need to buy the next YA and probably also to be living in Japan. Otherwise you'll have to wait for them to pop up on Yahoo! Japan auctions.

Aazealh said:
Well, I know people have been saying that, but the current arc hasn't ended. Neither did the chapter (I guess theorically it could end soon if Vritannis were to become Falconia though).

To apply for them you'll need to buy the next YA and probably also to be living in Japan. Otherwise you'll have to wait for them to pop up on Yahoo! Japan auctions.
:judo:
someone color this then, i tried fixing it :???:
http://i7.tinypic.com/24l4gaw.jpg

Lliugusamui

around the corner
Great episode ! Thank you, guys !

If you ask me, I'd like to see the "at sea" period last a bit. It would be a good place to depthen Azan character, and some things could happen, things like related to the moonlight child or strange astral or mystical events... I don't think there is a need of big fights right now. Roderick could have more attention too.

See you later
ps : i'm in vermont for a couple of months ! huh.. awesome trees :schierke:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Walter said:
From Roderick's line "...our last look at land for a while", we very well may be spending several months with the Band on the ocean.  What do you guys expect?

Hahaha. They'll be caught up in a hurricane and end up in the Berserk New World and fight Aaz-tecs.

*cough* sorry. I can't pass up the chance to pimp the idea of Berserk Aztecs. They'd be period-accurate for the sort of Berserk Age of Discovery that the story seems to be set in. And they'd be SO much fun.

I am curious to see if the voyage will be a clean cut affair with few to no hitches, or if it'll become The Odyssey.

typhonblue

Feminism--making the world safe for bigotry
Lithrael said:
I am curious to see if the voyage will be a clean cut affair with few to no hitches, or if it'll become The Odyssey. 

The Odyssey, guarenteed.

BTW, the Aaz-tecs are a cool idea. Magnifico and Roderick's little talk certainly hinted at some New World possibilities.

This episode was pure aaz-someness, thanks Saiya and Aazealh!

Interesting the absence of Guts "swirly pupil of fury" when he beheld Griffith. Almost like he was saying, "I'm letting you go, bud."

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I vote for the Odyssey as well. I at least want Pishacha Sharks and the ghost ship, and some sort of incredible sea monster. =)

QUeeN typhonblue said:
Interesting the absence of Guts "swirly pupil of fury" when he beheld Griffith. Almost like he was saying, "I'm letting you go, bud."

I think he got it out of his system on the docks, literally the swirling eye and all, and the descion to let it go for now was already made (Zodd made it clear what the alternative was), and he's barely concious as it is. It was nice little scene seeing Guts resigned to his fate like that, almost detached from the moment.

Aazealh said:
If anybody's interested, the last page is an announcement about Berserk T-shirts (2 different designs), more details to come in the next YA (17).

Sweet! I have been waiting for some good Berserk shirts!

Triggormortis

Weakness is a disease; I am the cure.
If the next few EPISODES are going to show a land battle, I would bet money on Grunbeld being there. I would love to see him and his subordinates wreck havoc in their Apostle forms. Wonder how Ganishka plans to counter this.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Triggormortis said:
If the next few EPISODES are going to show a land battle, I would bet money on Grunbeld being there. I would love to see him and his subordinates wreck havoc in their Apostle forms. Wonder how Ganishka plans to counter this.
If you're betting money on Grunbeld, the odds won't be very high. Everyone saw him in the flashback last episode as they were gearing up for the battle.

As for seeing everyone's apostle form, I'm not so sure. Remember that they have to be on their "best behavior" in front of the Alliance. Furthermore, in my opinion Locus and the lancers only reverted to their apostle forms in Wyndham because they were outnumbered and cornered. This will likely be a mop up of the remaining Kushan ground troops, many of which could just be regular humans. No need for overkill, especially since half of this battle's purpose is public relations.

IMO there are not going to be that much fight, the Kushan are already withdrawing, troops that dont fit in transports are ordered to commit suicide.

I am wondering if this wing of the kushan army is only made of magical troops ?

Judo

Midlands finest
Only the Daka and Pishacha are forced to commit suicide so that they cannot fall into the hands of the enemy.

There are human troops... we could see soldiers on Daibas Ship in episode 272/273 and on page 2 of ep 278.

kushans.jpg

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Turned out I couldn't get access to the computer all weekend. :puck:

Don't have time tonight to read the thread or discuss, only to say, awesome episode and thanks, Saiya!!

Judo

Midlands finest
yes... those morons can't "speek"

don't blame the kushan soldiers... they probably grew up under narrow circumstances and were never taught correct orthography.
rolleyes.gif

O.K... I'll admit it... I'm a moron too.
But that doesn't break the fact that there are human soldiers on the ship.

Guts2

There's no FATE - Just the power of WILL
Hi, this is my first post here, but I've roamed through the forum for a while.....  :guts:

Anyway, I have a few points that may influence further development.
About the ocean journey, remember when Shierke told us about oceans being connected to the Astral World? Well we saw what happened on the beach, imagine what would happen in the middle of the Ocean! I mean, it would be logical that the bond with the Astral would be stronger on the open seas.... Maybe Beast would materialize  :chomp: , or Moonlight Child encounter again (for it seems attracted to the Ocean), or something even more odd (like old Hawks talking to Guts in a dream, or something like that....). So just to point out that I don't think it would be a " long and monotonous Ocean journey " .
On the topic of Vritannis battle, and the land troops, remember that Kushan general Griffith stabbed through the eye? I believe he would be the long waited Land Army Leader, and that Griffith firstly wanted to get rid of him, before moving to battle the naval assault on the port. I mean, it maybe possible, taking into account his strategic mind  :griff: .....

Anyway, congratulations on a great forum, keep up the good work....

CnC

Ad Oculos
Welcome Guts Berserk! :guts:

Guts Berserk said:
or Moonlight Child encounter again (for it seems attracted to the Ocean)

Nothing really pointing to the ocean as its reason for being there.

Guts Berserk said:
On the topic of Vritannis battle, and the land troops, remember that Kushan general Griffith stabbed through the eye? I believe he would be the long waited Land Army Leader, and that Griffith firstly wanted to get rid of him, before moving to battle the naval assault on the port. I mean, it maybe possible, taking into account his strategic mind :griff: .....

That "Kushan General" you speak of is dead. Has been for a while. I doubt Daiba wouldn't have known that when he spoke of him earlier. Narratively speaking it would be kind of silly to foreshadow a land general and then reveal he was dead all along.

Judo

Midlands finest
remember that Kushan general Griffith stabbed through the eye? I believe he would be the long waited Land Army Leader, and that Griffith firstly wanted to get rid of him, before moving to battle the naval assault on the port.

Well, Griffith killed this one back in volume 22, when he first encountered the kushans... and he also chopped the head of another general off in vol.23, when they fought in Lumias.
I think it's rather unlikely that one of those was the land-general mentioned for the vritannis-battle... some time has passed since then and the kushan army seems well organized to me. I'm sure they are checking their troops before engaging in such an important battle as the vritannis-invasion.

Edit: narf... beaten by CnC.

Guts Berserk said:
Hi, this is my first post here, but I've roamed through the forum for a while.....  :guts:

Welcome. ^_^

Anyway, I have a few points that may influence further development.
About the ocean journey, remember when Schierke told us about oceans being connected to the Astral World? Well we saw what happened on the beach, imagine what would happen in the middle of the Ocean! I mean, it would be logical that the bond with the Astral would be stronger on the open seas

Good point. I had forgot about Schierke saying that. It's beyond safe to say this boat trip will not be peaceful; we know Ganishka has dangerous creatures on his side residing in the water, no doubt he is pissed about losing the battle and probably up for a bit of revenge.

In addition Skully has told Guts if he continues on his journey he will come across more Apostles under Griffith. He may have meant further into the journey, but this sea traveling seems like a big part of the adventure, so it would be far from a surprise to see any Apostles as they travel by sea.

Oceans being closely connected to the Astral world really completes the formula for chaos, but at least Guts's side will have an advantage because of Schierke, who may be able to use her powers more efficiently.

CnC said:
Nothing really pointing to the ocean as its reason for being there.

Not necessarily. Although we have only seen him once, he may be more likely to pop up in areas with a deeper connection to the Astral world, which may have been a reason to why he was on the beach in the first place.

Top Bottom