Episode 278

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
powerlevels2.jpg
Whether it's some tangible power or not, I think it's supposed to be pretty clear that Griffith is greater now than ever before. I don't know why his "human form" matters when we obviously know better. He's been described in his current state as "peerless" and "the true overlord", while his presence is causing the world itself to drastically change.

asmer said:
But his Band his mostly (or not?) composed of Apostles, some of them looking somehow Human, when on the other hand, a lot really look monstrous, so I guess its gonna be quite hard not to look demonic at all!

Onlookers probably don't notice the guys running on four legs as fast as horses, or the weird demonic looking armor so much as they can't take their eyes off of Griffith.

"Griffith No More!" said:

Is he looking at Puck!?

C

cajunman380

My two cents.

Anyone else think those pirates that azan chased away during the brief arc with sonja and schierke will make a return? it would be a good way for Azan to reintroduce himself.

As for Griffith.. you know i have to wonder. with all the power and minions he has swinging around him, as well as the ability to apparently make people do what he wants regardless of their own will (example .... Mule). Why would he even bother with making a performance. As the skullknight said. There isnt a single being in the living world who can challenge him. Its not like the holy see can do much about it even if they gave Griffith the finger. SO i just have to wonder why he does it at all? better yet why does he even need the army? could it be he may not be as all powerful, or that by choosing a human form his power now has limitations or it isnt as infinte as before. I mean once Griffith becomes king all hells gonna break loose anyway i imagine.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
cajunman380 said:
My two cents.

Anyone else think those pirates that azan chased away during the brief arc with sonja and schierke will make a return? it would be a good way for Azan to reintroduce himself.

I wouldn't be surprised if the group was attacked by pirates while at sea (and it would be pretty funny if it was the same group that Azan faced in Vritannis). Since Guts is out of the picture for a while due to the massive amount of injuries he's sustained, it would be cool to see Serpico and Azan step up to the plate and kick some ass (Schierke may even be able to help a little, although it looks like she needs a lot of rest, too). Man, Farnese and Serpico are gonna be surprised when he takes off his helmet... :isidro:

cajunman380 said:
As for Griffith.. you know i have to wonder. with all the power and minions he has swinging around him, as well as the ability to apparently make people do what he wants regardless of their own will (example .... Mule). Why would he even bother with making a performance. As the skullknight said. There isn't a single being in the living world who can challenge him. Its not like the holy see can do much about it even if they gave Griffith the finger. SO i just have to wonder why he does it at all? better yet why does he even need the army? could it be he may not be as all powerful, or that by choosing a human form his power now has limitations or it isn't as infinite as before. I mean once Griffith becomes king all hells gonna break loose anyway i imagine.

In my opinion, it's easier to rule because of the people allowing it. I mean sure, he and his army of apostles (or, speculatively, just himself) could probably rule over whatever they wanted (as far as we know), but when you rule by way of ye ol' Iron Fist, dissent arises, and the kingdom he dreamed of would fall apart. Furthermore, a kingdom held together by force is hardly ideal.

And when was he controlling Mule? I don't quite remember that, I'll have to go back and check.

cajunman380 said:
As for Griffith.. you know i have to wonder. with all the power and minions he has swinging around him, as well as the ability to apparently make people do what he wants regardless of their own will (example .... Mule). Why would he even bother with making a performance.

Perhaps its all just part of his dream, and just having it instantaniously would ruin it.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Thanks again everyone.
Considering that every moment in Berserk is epic there is no way that the sea crossing will be leisurely: Griffith, meet the Nobles, Nobles meet a Demonic, semi-divine being forged from the unknown depths of the Human Consciousness. :Cut to Guts and his family: "So yeah, Griffith screwed me and the former members of the Band of the Hawk over in his grab for God-hood and now I seek revenge . . . What's everone looking at?" Azan and Farnese deliver an interesting plot point about the Prophecy of the Hawk. Azan, Isidro, the Elves and the rest cavort about on the deck of the ship While Guts rests up: "Land Ho! Oh wow! This must be Elfhelm!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think Guts would care too much about some hokey-sounding prophecy. Also, Elfhelm is on an island called Skellig. They may have to do some exploring on the islane before they find the uh, town? city? village? ... hovel? they're looking for. I doubt they'll see elves flying around the island from a distance :guts:

Mitsu_dunDee

Sparkles + will-o-the-wisp = BOUM
Ok guys I hope this was discussed before, otherwise it means you are all jerks but there IS something that really bothers me at the end of this EPISODE, particularly the last page.

Top square: Guts' right eye half open, looking at griffith...
Middle square: Gut's LEFT eye barely opened BUT opened however !! (10 bucks to the first guy who finds a pics of gut's left eye opened (even just a little) after the eclipse....
Page before: Griffith with this eyes spread opened, it is more than obvious that he watched the whole scene, especially the Guts-Zodd rocket combo..

So based upon his left eye beeing opened I wonder what Miura is trying to tell us ..

That Guts is changing his mind and starts to think about something else than revenge ? This can be reinforced since he had discarded (postponed maybe :)) with Zodd ?

And MUCH more bothering Griff's eyes in last -1 page (anyone with a decent word for this ?) make me think of his former look upon Guts ( back to the golden age :p ) something between gay romance and plain blood lust. Again the ultra brave Guts have defeated (with help ok) Griff's enemy and none of its soldier were able to defeat the emperor (too bad zodd you're weak..) ...

Well furthermore the 'goodbye father mother' give a 'nostalgic' color to this episode..again reinforced with the sea and the 'depart' but also the sun coming after so much fog, something that is very siimilar to a sun-set (which mean death you know...).

So in a nutshell this epidode ENDS something, but I'll be very very crossed if it is to mean that Guts will put his anger aside and tries not to avenge himself (Ho please I do not want to think the choice SK talked about on the shore..)

EDIT: Ok, maybe I confused the left for the right however the point is that the 2 top squares of the last page are for different eye. It is obvious the in the middle square, abovethe eye that's a nose and not a piece of cheek, the eyebrow helps to be shure of it too...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Mitsu_dunDee said:
Ok guys I hope this was discussed before, otherwise it means you are all jerks but there IS something that really bothers me at the end of this EPISODE, particularly the last page.

Middle square:  Gut's LEFT eye barely opened BUT opened however !! (10 bucks to the first guy who finds a pics of gut's left eye opened (even just a little) after the eclipse....

You've got the eyes backwards.  Guts' left eye is open throughout the manga, because it's the one eye he has left.  And this same eye is half-closed in the middle panel, although it's easy to mistake it for his right eye if you look at it a particular way (I did a double-take for a second myself).  So yeah, Guts' right eye is still missing, as it should be.

EDIT: Double-checked this just to make sure I hadn't made an ass out of myself by correcting you, but episode 87 is called Twilight of the Right Eye, so that is indeed the one he lost. Now that I think about it I could've just looked at my wallscroll......or any picture of Guts for that matter...I need to get to bed... :SK:

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Walter said:
I don't think Guts would care too much about some hokey-sounding prophecy. Also, Elfhelm is on an island called Skellig. They may have to do some exploring on the islane before they find the uh, town? city? village? ... hovel? they're looking for. I doubt they'll see elves flying around the island from a distance :guts:

Uhh . . . Walter; my little narrative was supposed to be an example of what I think will be the least likely course of events in the coming At-Sea Arc.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mitsu_dunDee said:
Middle square: Gut's LEFT eye barely opened BUT opened however !! (10 bucks to the first guy who finds a pics of gut's left eye opened (even just a little) after the eclipse....

Other way around. Like Rhombaad said, Guts' right eye is gone. his left eye was open and then in the second panel is shown closing (most likely he competely passed out).

Mitsu_dunDee said:
That Guts is changing his mind and starts to think about something else than revenge ? This can be reinforced since he had discarded (postponed maybe :)) with Zodd ?

Yea, thats kind of the point. He made a decision to protect casca, much to the beast's displeasure. His glancing back at Casca at that moment in this episode is to reinforce the viewer of that decision.

Mitsu_dunDee said:
And MUCH more bothering Griff's eyes in last -1 page (anyone with a decent word for this ?) make me think of his former look upon Guts ( back to the golden age :p ) something between gay romance and plain blood lust. Again the ultra brave Guts have defeated (with help ok) Griff's enemy and none of its soldier were able to defeat the emperor (too bad zodd you're weak..) ...

you mean the 'second to last page'? I'm not sure why you would find this bothersome. He's staring at guts. He's done this before in the series and it hasn't meant gay romance or blood lust, really. It can be he's marking Guts as an enemy or it could be surprise. Or he could just be staring because its more dramatic looking. Shit, he could be looking at Schierke for all we know (but admittedly that would go against the pacing of how these panels were laid out).

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
He's done this before in the series and it hasn't meant gay romance or blood lust, really.  It can be he's marking Guts as an enemy or it could be surprise.  Or he could just be staring because its more dramatic looking.  Shit, he could be looking at Schierke for all we know (but admittedly that would go against the pacing of how these panels were laid out).

Yeah, I took at it as being for dramatic effect.

Guts2

There's no FATE - Just the power of WILL
Actually, I believe that was Griffith's patented "Hawk-looking-at-prey" look. He used it on Count Julius, Minister Foss and probably many more times.... IMO, for admiration he puts on a more childish face, so I guess he wasn't admiring Guts's feat. He probably thought "I could do it blind-folded, with my left hand" :guts: :troll:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Guts Berserk said:
Actually, I believe that was Griffith's patented "Hawk-looking-at-prey" look. He used it on Count Julius, Minister Foss and probably many more times....

Well, my apprehension to that conclusion would be that would mean Griffith in a way aknowledges Guts, against what he said earlier that he felt nothing towards him. Perhaps thats changed. Dunno.
But I don't think it was "admiration"

Mitsu_dunDee

CnC said:
Other way around. Like Rhombaad said, Guts' right eye is gone. his left eye was open and then in the second panel is shown closing (most likely he competely passed out).

I disagree :-) though confusing, I think the eyebrow direction is wrong...:

CnC said:
Yea, thats kind of the point. He made a decision to protect casca, much to the beast's displeasure. His glancing back at Casca at that moment in this episode is to reinforce the viewer of that decision.

Agreed but imho it is deeper than that...

CnC said:
you mean the 'second to last page'? I'm not sure why you would find this bothersome. He's staring at guts. He's done this before in the series and it hasn't meant gay romance or blood lust, really. It can be he's marking Guts as an enemy or it could be surprise. Or he could just be staring because its more dramatic looking. Shit, he could be looking at Schierke for all we know (but admittedly that would go against the pacing of how these panels were laid out).

Imho he stared at Guts, but it is unlike his formers look at GUts..

Guts2

There's no FATE - Just the power of WILL
I disagree :-) though confusing, I think the eyebrow direction is wrong...

The direction of the eyebrow is perfectly OK, both panels are accurately drawn. When a human closes his eyes (to sleep, for example) the part of the eyebrow that is closer to the nose moves a bit "down". Try it out.....

Well, my apprehension to that conclusion would be that would mean Griffith in a way acknowledges Guts, against what he said earlier that he felt nothing towards him. Perhaps thats changed.

Maybe he just doesn't consider Guts a "pebble" any more... He added him to the "prey" list :badbone: . But I doubt he admires him, because the Reborn Griffith seems incapable of admiration...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mitsu_dunDee said:
I think the eyebrow direction is wrong...:

Its not. Its inked similarly to the panel above it. But you're reading into this waaay too much. Its not his right eye opening. moving on... :schierke:

Mitsu_dunDee said:
Agreed but imho it is deeper than that...

Deeper than that how? Please explain as you're being rather cryptic here.
Its really not that huge a plot point, really. Zodd basically gave Guts a choice to either leave or be slaughtered. Serpico diffused the situation. Its over.

Mitsu_dunDee said:
Imho he stared at Guts, but it is unlike his formers look at GUts..

Yea. Like I said, it most likely (99.9%) Guts he's looking at. We just can't nail down his reasons for such a dramatic stare. Theres nothing conclusive about it until Griffith acts.

Mitsu_dunDee

CnC said:
Its not. Its inked similarly to the panel above it. But you're reading into this waaay too much. Its not his right eye opening. moving on... :schierke:

You are probably right but it still confuses me..Though his left eye was pierced so it would be unlikely to open with something inside....

CnC said:
Deeper than that how? Please explain as you're being rather cryptic here.
Its really not that huge a plot point, really. Zodd basically gave Guts a choice to either leave or be slaughtered. Serpico diffused the situation. Its over.

Yeah for shure we are all used to see Guts giving up his fight, that's right he has always fainted right in the middle :)
It's the first time ever (2nd with the fight at Flora's ?) that Guts cancels/leaves/forfeit a fight... Knowing that Griffith was here (ok that's right I assume this maybe his eye is not that good) he should have stood up (he has already took much harder hit in the past withtout armor/beast -maybe he is getting old..) maybe he is not used to electric shockwaves...
So yes it is deeper because he gave up chasing Griffith EVEN with Griff just around...
Though you can say that he already gave up hunting Griffith (omg I need a boat to cure Casca) he would fight knowing Griff "on the scene" (that's why he asked Zodd i guess).

CnC said:
Yea. Like I said, it most likely (99.9%) Guts he's looking at. We just can't nail down his reasons for such a dramatic stare. Theres nothing conclusive about it until Griffith acts.

We should speculate on this because without Guts the neo-hawks would not have managed to get rid of the pisacha, mainly because they would not have managed to defeat Ganishka (the big cloud with mustaches). Assuming Griffith knows this (and obviously he knows it or he is not Griffith..), he regained some worth upon his eyes. Now it's true that we have to wait until Griffith acts to see if it was a 'prey-look' or something else...

EDIT thanks yota...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mitsu_dunDee said:
You are probably right but it still confuses me..Though his left eye was pierced so it would be unlikely to open with something inside....

GUTS:
LEFT EYE : fine. ok. not injured.
RIGHT EYE : gouged. useless. unopened.

These have been constants since the eclipse

Still confused?

Mitsu_dunDee said:
So yes it is deeper because he gave up chasing Griffith EVEN with Griff just around...
Though you can say that he already gave up hunting Griffith (omg I need a boat to cure Casca) he would fight knowing Griff "on the scene" (that's why he asked Zodd i guess).

Is it really considered "deeper" when that was the point of the discussion between Zodd and Guts? Guts asked if Griffith was here, Zodd responded quite cleverly giving Guts an option out of that line of thought. It all goes back to the choice to protect or seek revenge Guts has.

Mitsu_dunDee said:
We should speculate on this because without Guts the neo-hawks would not have managed to get rid of the pisacha, mainly because they would not have managed to defeat Ganishka (the big cloud with mustaches). Assuming Griffith knows this (and obviously he knows it or he is not Griffith..), he regained some worth upon his eyes. Now it's true that we have to wait until Griffith acts to see if it was a 'prey-look' or something else...

Its been speculated before as to how much Griffith knows as a God Hand. Not much can be determined, just that he's not omniscient. What can probably be said safely is that he's a master tactician that would probably take into account many if not all the variables that could happen in this battle. I have little doubt the apostles would have been able to handle the pisacha (dunno what he would have done about Ganishka) however I can't see how Griffith would have expected Guts (or more importantly Shierke) to be there. If he had, its likely he would have ordered Shierke's death (considering his previous actions towards Flora).

I can't see how Griffith would have expected Guts (or more importantly Schierke) to be there. If he had, its likely he would have ordered Schierke's death (considering his previous actions towards Flora).
Well, Sonia met with Schierke and even recognised her to be a witch. As far as Guts' presence is concerned she hinted at it through that premonition she gave to Zodd just before he left for battle. Perhaps she didn't alert Griffith directly of what she knew but it is more likely that she did brief him on something that important (the presence of a witch). As far as factoring this into his battle plan my assumption is that if Griffith knew about it he would have probably issued some kind of orders. This leaves the door open to speculate wether Zodd dissobeyed such an order by letting them go. It's not very likely that he'd do such a thing, given his relationship to Griffith, but there still remains a chance...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I really think you're overestimating Griffith this time, vlad. It's more likely he didn't know about Guts' or Schierke's presence. Remember that Sonia's pretty miffed at him at the moment, and wouldn't necessarily tell him every little detail about her trip to Vritannis. Besides, she never even came into direct contact with Guts. Since all she had to go on was a premonition, I doubt she would have been able to discern "it was Guts that I saw in my dream!."

The fact that Griffith even bothered to show himself to the Band, to me, says he didn't expect them there.

Anyway, Zodd was quite suprised to see Guts there. I think it's pretty obvious he wasn't disobeying any pre-existing orders by letting Guts and crew go safely.

Top Bottom