Getting the Dragon Slayer on the Myth Busters show

I was watching Myth Busters, and I suddenly realized that the myths they try to prove or disprove are usually very odd/strange, and that some origionate from scenes in movies. So I thought to my self.. hell if they're crazy enough/willing to go and get a professional archer to try to split an arrow knot to tip, they might be willing to build a full metal replica of the Dragon Slayer (IE take a large peice of steel and just grind it into the right specs, not actually forge it as you would a normal blade), bring in some Olympic class powerlifters, you know the big 300-400lb dudes (like Guts), and have them have a go at weilding the DS! :guts:

We would have to draw up some blue prints of the DS along with size specs, and we would have to agree upon the weight of the DS which would depend on the size. This would be a community effort and I'd like us all to deside on what would be sent to them in the email, maybe many of us could send them emails, I'd just like us all to agree on what the content of the messages would entail as I wouldn't want them to get confused and end up building something weighing around 40lbs. We would also have to deside exactly what the myth would be. I'm thinking something along the lines of big strong man able to weild full steel giant sword as you would a normal large sword like a claymore.

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
Guts sword is much heavier than a claymore, and he wields it well. Anyway it isn't just strenght that allows him to wield it.

No I doubt seriously that anyone is as strong as Guts (based on what we've seen). Plus isn't a myth really... more the portrayal of a charecter wielding a big sword.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Donald Shimoda said:
they might be willing to build a full metal replica of the Dragon Slayer (IE take a large peice of steel and just grind it into the right specs, not actually forge it as you would a normal blade)

Well a piece of raw steel cut in a certain shape isn't quite the same as a masterfully forged sword... I also feel compelled to point out that the only description of the DS we have calls it a piece of iron. Now, personally your idea sounds like a lot of trouble for what it could achieve (seeing how nobody could wield the DS like Guts anyway, even if they could lift it), but go ahead if you think it'd be cool.

PS: I changed the thread title so it'd reflect the topic.

Gurifisu said:
Anyway it isn't just strenght that allows him to wield it.

What CnC said... Guts is inhumanly strong, that's why he can wield that sword.

Aazealh said:
Well a piece of raw steel cut in a certain shape isn't quite the same as a masterfully forged sword... I also feel compelled to point out that the only description of the DS we have calls it a piece of iron.

Yeah thats true, but I don't think the Myth Busters team would be willing to forge the DS as you would a normal sword, though they might, it would be A LOT more work though. Yeah you're right, I'll specify that its made of iron, thanks.

Aazealh said:
Now, personally your idea sounds like a lot of trouble for what it could achieve (seeing how nobody could wield the DS like Guts anyway, even if they could lift it), but go ahead if you think it'd be cool.

PS: I changed the thread title so it'd reflect the topic.

Yeah thats true, but it would be cool to see a powerlifter get the DS up over head and chop down with it. :beast:

Thankts btw. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Donald Shimoda said:
I don't think the Myth Busters team would be willing to forge the DS as you would a normal sword, though they might, it would be A LOT more work though. Yeah you're right, I'll specify that its made of iron, thanks.

I don't think they'd have one forged either, I just wanted to point out that it wasn't quite the same thing. As for iron, it's a bit controversial since steel makes much better weapons and is an iron alloy (mostly composed on iron in fact). I just felt like pointing it out to show how indeterminate the informations we have about the DS are.

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
What CnC said... Guts is inhumanly strong, that's why he can wield that sword.

What I meant was... I should of explained this more... for Guts to wield it, even if he's inhumanly strong the weapon would have to be made of some special alloy for him to be able to lift it. Something in the berserk world... as most things in this would be to heavy to wield effectivally that fast (also taking that much damage), no matter how strong you are.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Gurifisu said:
What I meant was... I should of explained this more... for Guts to wield it, even if he's inhumanly strong the weapon would have to be made of some special alloy for him to be able to lift it. Something in the berserk world... as most things in this would be to heavy to wield effectivally that fast (also taking that much damage), no matter how strong you are.

Theres no mention of a "special alloy". Your assumption is completely unfounded

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gurifisu said:
for Guts to wield it, even if he's inhumanly strong the weapon would have to be made of some special alloy for him to be able to lift it.

Why? The weapon is said to be made of iron. To call it steel is already making assumptions, even though it's probable given Godot's skill. Nothing hints at what you're saying in the manga, nor anywhere else. In fact the DS' overwhelming mass is one of its important aspects.

Gurifisu said:
Something in the berserk world... as most things in this would be to heavy to wield effectivally that fast (also taking that much damage), no matter how strong you are.

Berserk is a work of fiction. Guts is strong enough (i.e. stronger than any real man could be, hence the "inhumanly"); even to wield it with his teeth. It's useless to try to rationalize it like you're doing. And you know, no human being could wield Azan's weapon the way he does either. There's a lot of things people do in Berserk that aren't possible in our world, and it's Ok because they're epic characters, not meant to accomplish ordinary deeds. If you want other examples: Guts used his sword to break stone pillars with iron cores while in bad condition, and withstood the falling mast of a boat without flinching, and it's not because the armor gives him supernatural strength (which it doesn't), it's because he's Guts. Stuff like this is all over the manga.

Gurifisu said:
for Guts to wield it, even if he's inhumanly strong the weapon would have to be made of some special alloy for him to be able to lift it.

Since Godo is a master smith i would say it was possible for him to have forged the DS from some alloy/technique to make it lighter but that idea is shot down when you see other people trying to move it such as the 1st cell of page 15 in episode 278 and iirc when guts is captured by the HICK's there is a scene of 2 knights shown carrying it.

As for the DS getting on mythbusters the things they do are well known myths ive heard of about 80% of them i dont think they are going to do something like this and even if they did it would just confirm that its not possible for a human to lift such a sword which we already know.

I think it would be a better thing to debate that if the DS had a fuller (concave dip in the side of the blade, sometimes called a blood channel but its used to reduce weight and retain strength) would it be wieldable by merely a strong human and not just Guts.

If they did actually forge a sword as big as the dragon slayer, the only person who could use it would be Chuck Norris. He's the only epic character I know of that lives today.

CnC

Ad Oculos
mike.william said:
If they did actually forge a sword as big as the dragon slayer, the only person who could use it would be Chuck Norris.

Are people even still making these jokes? I mean, they were funny the first couple o' times...

CnC said:
Are people even still making these jokes? I mean, they were funny the first couple o' times...

I don't know about youc CnC, but I find it amusing. Especially that Chuck Norris comment. Funny as hell. But yeah, I guess later on even that gets boring. Dammit.

BayJumper said:
I don't know about youc CnC, but I find it amusing. Especially that Chuck Norris comment. Funny as hell. But yeah, I guess later on even that gets boring. Dammit.

It's ok to enjoy Chuck Norris jokes, BayJumper. That's what it is to be human. CnC is just partially dead inside. Chuck Norris will deal with him accordingly. :troll:

Back on topic....thinking this idea has any chance in God's hell of getting on a show with a target demographic of middle aged married men is just a wet dream. If huge-ass swords were a staple in popular action movies, maybe it could find it's way on the show, but they aren't so it won't.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
But yeah, I guess later on even that gets boring.

Later on being last year, in this case.

mike.william said:
It's ok to enjoy Chuck Norris jokes, BayJumper. That's what it is to be human.

No, that's just what it is to have the humor of a 12 years old boy. And even then, kids eventually get tired of repeating variations of the same mediocre joke all the time. Now like you said, back to the topic that shouldn't have been left in the first place.

mike.william said:
thinking this idea has any chance in God's hell of getting on a show with a target demographic of middle aged married men is just a wet dream. If huge-ass swords were a staple in popular action movies, maybe it could find it's way on the show, but they aren't so it won't.

And then there's what Gurifisu pointed out: it's not even a myth at all. There's no urban legend about men wielding giant swords. But hey, after all, it doesn't hurt to dream about it.

PS: Your mom is partially dead inside!! LOL!!
PPS: For further Chuck Norris jokes discussion, please head here: http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=5444.0

While I don't think that it'd be possible to build a mock version of Dragon Slayer for a TV Show, if someone did try and make one, how much money do you think it'd cost?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BayJumper said:
if someone did try and make one, how much money do you think it'd cost?

Haha, the eternally recurring question! There's a lot of threads dedicated to that kind of questions, but to find sure answers is another matter entirely. Especially since each replica varies from the others, each is made by different people and at different costs. And few projects are actually carried through anyway. The latest thread on the topic was made recently by Chiba, and in fact he should be soon providing us with pictures of his own DS replica if all went well.

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=6201.0

I would expect such an enterprise to cost at least $1000, seeing how well made resin replicas sell for more. But it mostly depends on the relations the client and the maker maintain.

Aazealh said:
Why? The weapon is said to be made of iron. To call it steel is already making assumptions, even though it's probable given Godot's skill. Nothing hints at what you're saying in the manga, nor anywhere else. In fact the DS' overwhelming mass is one of its important aspects.

Berserk is a work of fiction. Guts is strong enough (i.e. stronger than any real man could be, hence the "inhumanly"); even to wield it with his teeth. It's useless to try to rationalize it like you're doing. And you know, no human being could wield Azan's weapon the way he does either. There's a lot of things people do in Berserk that aren't possible in our world, and it's Ok because they're epic characters, not meant to accomplish ordinary deeds. If you want other examples: Guts used his sword to break stone pillars with iron cores while in bad condition, and withstood the falling mast of a boat without flinching, and it's not because the armor gives him supernatural strength (which it doesn't), it's because he's Guts. Stuff like this is all over the manga.
It is worth noting that it's no longer just simple iron; I believe they've now talked once or twice about the changes that have occurred in the sword because of its constant close proximity to Guts, so that it's now within the boundary between worlds, as is Guts. Therefore one could argue that the sword isn't within the normal laws of physics; I'm sure it's nearly impossible to have a body structure like Femto's and be capable of wing-propelled flight (not like we know if it is wing-propelled anyway...), but he's sure not having any problems.

Of course all this has little to do with Guts wielding his sword, and anyone using this argument other than the point of clarifying details about Guts' sword would be foolish. He was obviously killing all kindsa shit with it long before it became all special (unless the transformation occurred in less than a day, which I doubt), as well as using completely unrealistic weapons before the DS. Whether the "astral" properties of the sword will come into play is debatable, but it's already a totally unrealistic weapon.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Holsety said:
It is worth noting that it's no longer just simple iron; I believe they've now talked once or twice about the changes that have occurred in the sword because of its constant close proximity to Guts, so that it's now within the boundary between worlds, as is Guts. Therefore one could argue that the sword isn't within the normal laws of physics

Not only is this irrelevant to the creation of a replica, but you're mistaken about the change that occurred in the sword. It's not like it isn't made of iron or steel anymore, but because Guts has slain so many supernatural beings with it over the years, it has become imbued with astral propreties, going beyond the material realm. It's not just because Guts is in the Interstice. And this doesn't mean that it isn't within the "normal laws of physics" anymore either, which doesn't refer to anything tangible in the Berserk world anyway. In the end what you said has no impact whatsoever on the current discussion, and it certainly doesn't change anything to the point I made about Guts' strength in the post you quoted.

Holsety said:
I'm sure it's nearly impossible to have a body structure like Femto's and be capable of wing-propelled flight (not like we know if it is wing-propelled anyway...), but he's sure not having any problems.

Now that's even more irrelevant.

Holsety said:
Of course all this has little to do with Guts wielding his sword

Indeed, which makes me wonder why you talked about it in the first place.

Holsety said:
unless the transformation occurred in less than a day, which I doubt [...] Whether the "astral" properties of the sword will come into play is debatable

The "transformation" as you say didn't occur in a day, there's no doubt to be had about it. And in what would these astral properties come into play here? Not the making of a replica for the Myth Busters show, I'm sure. I don't think there's anything really debatable about it.

's exactly so.

Aazealh said:

If I remember the story correctly, Godo forged the Dragon Slayer because a king wanted a sword that would be able to slay a dragon, many other smiths attempted this, but failed, because their swords weren't actually practical for killing one, just finely crafted conventional swords or something like that, and I really don't remember much more but forging the Dragon Slayer led to Godo being exiled.
In one of the earlier volumes of Berserk, Puck also makes the comment that Guts should take up being a cook instead of what is doing now because of the Dragon Slayer being more like a huge slab of iron that you could cook on than a sword. Now it is unclear (at least to me) on the methods Godo used to forge the sword, but if the Myth Busters were to realistically forge a sword to those proportions,I doubt a regular size forge and anvil would work, same with the tools. (This being if they were to go about it like they did in ancient times.)
I do think it would be cool to see someone try to forge a sword like the Dragon Slayer and how they did it and everything but I doubt it would be the Myth Busters because isn't their show about using science to prove/disprove modern day urban legends/myths? I don't think they would spend all this money to recreate a fantasy weapon from some Japanese manga on their show.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zelz said:
If I remember the story correctly, Godo forged the Dragon Slayer because a king wanted a sword that would be able to slay a dragon, many other smiths attempted this, but failed, because their swords weren't actually practical for killing one, just finely crafted conventional swords or something like that, and I really don't remember much more but forging the Dragon Slayer led to Godo being exiled.

Well you don't remember the story correctly then, because it doesn't say anything about other smiths attempting to forge that sword and their version not being practical. The king issued a proclamation and Godot took the order, and the reason he was exiled is because the Dragon Slayer isn't wieldable by a normal man.

Zelz said:
In one of the earlier volumes of Berserk, Puck also makes the comment that Guts should take up being a cook instead of what is doing now because of the Dragon Slayer being more like a huge slab of iron that you could cook on than a sword.

Yeah but that's just a joke.

Zelz said:
Now it is unclear (at least to me) on the methods Godo used to forge the sword, but if the Myth Busters were to realistically forge a sword to those proportions,I doubt a regular size forge and anvil would work, same with the tools. (This being if they were to go about it like they did in ancient times.)

Since Berserk takes place in a fictional world with fantasy elements and that no indication is given as to what technique Godot used to forge the sword it'd be impossible to reproduce the same conditions to try to prove or disprove its feasibility.

I personally work with steel. A sword made of pure iron and being 6 foot tall. (I think) Would be very difficult to wield by any human standards today. But Guts has been in hard ship all his life and has pretty much wieght trained himself from his childhood. I think it is possible the Guts can swing it the way does. Aside from the Usual Manga super speed swinging. I don't think Guts can jump ten foot in the air with it. I would be pretty sure he would pull some kinda of muscle using it. But to block arrows, blast, etc. Is also very possible. I think anyone who uses it as much as Guts would die of heart failure.

Top Bottom