Crocodile Hunter DEAD!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Okay, Rane and CnC are just as responsible as Oberi for the 6 straight posts O' shit in this thread, so just stop the cycle.

Anyway, as it mentions in the reports, only 17 people have ever been recorded as having been killed by stringrays, which makes this an even more amazing freak. It's one of those deaths that's truly affecting because even if you never put much thought into the person when they were alive, it's just so strange and sad that they'd be killed like this.

It's like in a story when a comic character is killed off for the unexpected dramatic effect, but it doesn't really have that impact because it's a cliché you can usually see coming a mile away. This, on the other hand, is the real deal. =(

http://hunterjedispirit.ytmnd.com/

I always figured it would just be a matter of time before the day finally came when Irwin's lifestyle would catch up to him. Now that day has finally come. I don't have animal planet, so I never watched his show too much, thus his death wasn't as shocking to me at first. But as I was watching footage on his life last night, seeing him when his child was born, how the beauty of the animals he dealt with would overwhelm him and bring tears to his eyes. He seemed so sensative, and I can't help but feel sadness for him.

Griffith

aufond said:
I always figured it would just be a matter of time before the day finally came when Irwin's lifestyle would catch up to him. Now that day has finally come.

That's undeniably true in a sense, but it's actually more like he got struck by lighting twice over. I mean, only 17 people have ever been killed by stingrays. 17. And it's not like humans never come into contact with rays, we don't even think of them as dangerous. It took a direct hit to the heart, by chance, otherwise it would be nothing. Statistically, the odds were so great, he might as well have been hit by a meteor. So, ironically, I don't think it was particularly his lifestyle or maverick nature in this case (other than working with animals), it was a total freak. But it serves to crystalize the point that there's no such thing as a safe wildlife encounter. Again, ironic considering his life's work.

This raises an interesting issue, after time has passed, I wonder if those who weren't supportive of him will use the nature of his death against him. Try to paint him as some sort of nut who got what he was asking for like The Grizzly Man, even though it's not really the case here.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
"Griffith No More!" said:
This raises an interesting issue, after time has passed, I wonder if those who weren't supportive of him will use the nature of his death against him. Try to paint him as some sort of nut who got what he was asking for like The Grizzly Man, even though it's not really the case here.
Ha, just head on over to the WoW Forums or YTMND! :troll:

Griffith

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Ha, just head on over to the WoW Forums or YTMND!

Well, I meant in any way that counts, i.e. not on the Internet (see "Snakes on a Plane" thread =).

http://wowsteverip.ytmnd.com/

SaiyajinNoOuji

Well, I meant in any way that counts, i.e. not on the Internet (see "Snakes on a Plane" thread =).

http://wowsteverip.ytmnd.com/
Well that is a very touching memorial, why dont we go ahead and give it a try?!

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
So word is that his death was caught on film. He was, after all, filming a documentary. If there is any truth in this, I pray it never sees the light of day :judo:

Uriel said:
So word is that his death was caught on film. He was, after all, filming a documentary. If there is any truth in this, I pray it never sees the light of day :judo:

There was a reporter on the radio today that said that the footage doesnt exist, and its just for media hype. Which is fortunate, cause his wife and children dont need that.

On the positive side, his death was most pretty much instantaneous and fairly painless from what i hear, and thats much better than if a crocodile had gotten him.

Like others have said, he died doing what he loved, and thats one of the best ways to go out.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
I feel bad, I used to watch Steve Irwin on animal planet a lot in my high school days. His love and passion for animals was refreshing, and it will be sorely missed. RIP Steve.

I think everyone's missing at just how badass this man's last moments were: HE PULLED THE FUCKING BARB FROM HIS CHEST BEFORE DYING.

That deserves a standing ovation right there.

I used to love his show. Watched it all the time with my parents a few years back. It was a sort of bonding experience.
Quite sad that he's gone now.
That's the first reports of no footage being shot. I can't see how that's possible as it'd seem the only reasonable explanation as to why he was swimming with stingrays to begin with.
I'm mixed on the airing of the supposed footage, if it exists, after all.
I can understand how it would be completely improper to show such an intimate and terrible event for the world to view. On the other hand, it seems as if it'd be something he'd approve of. Sort of a worldly lesson for his viewers.
The fact that this is so rare a case would only seem to aid in proving the dangers of any situation of this type.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Slightly Green said:
The fact that this is so rare a case would only seem to aid in proving the dangers of any situation of this type.
I don't think these sorts of deaths are that rare, really. It's just not every day that a man as celebrated as Steve Irwin dies in his line of work, so we don't end up hearing about them. edit: I'm an ignorant ass and didn't read the thread. Ignore me.

Anyway, I think JAWS did enough damage to most amateur's dreams of marine exploration.

SaiyajinNoOuji

TheBeast43105 said:
There was a reporter on the radio today that said that the footage doesnt exist, and its just for media hype. Which is fortunate, cause his wife and children dont need that.

On the positive side, his death was most pretty much instantaneous and fairly painless from what i hear, and thats much better than if a crocodile had gotten him.

Like others have said, he died doing what he loved, and thats one of the best ways to go out.
If there is a video except it to be on Ogrish, B0g, and that other site which it's name I can't remember right now.

Slightly Green said:
I think everyone's missing at just how badass this man's last moments were: HE PULLED THE FUCKING BARB FROM HIS CHEST BEFORE DYING.

I doubt that doing so was such a good idea. In fact, it just might've been the cause of Irwin's death. Stingrays' barbs are as sharp as a knife's blade with serrated edge. And when a person pulls out something like that out of his flesh, a rupture may occur, followed by internal bleeding, as it was in Steve Irwin's case (since the stingray got him in the chest). According today's issue of New York Post, Steve Irwin's death was caused probably by the internal bleeding within his heart, rather than the stingray's barb venom. At least that's what his manager said to the media. He also mentioned that Irwin most likely wasn't even aware that he was stung by a stingray, and extracted the barb due to the extreme pain it was causing.

BayJumper said:
I doubt that doing so was such a good idea. In fact, it just might've been the cause of Irwin's death. Stingrays' barbs are as sharp as a knife's blade with serrated edge. And when a person pulls out something like that out of his flesh, a rupture may occur, followed by internal bleeding, as it was in Steve Irwin's case (since the stingray got him in the chest). According today's issue of New York Post, Steve Irwin's death was caused probably by the internal bleeding within his heart, rather than the stingray's barb venom. At least that's what his manager said to the media. He also mentioned that Irwin most likely wasn't even aware that he was stung by a stingray, and extracted the barb due to the extreme pain it was causing.   

Even if pulling it out was the cause of death, I couldn't imagine leaving the barb in his heart would be a much better solution.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Sparnage said:
Even if pulling it out was the cause of death, I couldn't imagine leaving the barb in his heart would be a much better solution.

I agree. Your chances of surviving a poisonous 10 inch barb to the heart have to be very slim. Considering its a deadly poison that shuts down circulatory system the heart has to be the worst place to get it.

Griffith

I didn't want to say anything before (because who wants to think the guy offed himself on a natural reflex action?), but yeah, first thing I thought of when I heard he pulled the barb out before dying is that it may have contributed to (or even been the cause of) his death. You never just want to yank out things like that because you don't know what they're in, on, holding together, or what kind of damage they'll do in reverse, could be a lot worse, especially with a barb. Whereas leaving it be can buy enough time to get professional treatment (people survive with some pretty weird things stuck in them, even in the heart and brain; it's when they're removed that more serious trauma is caused).

Anyway, that's hopefully not the case here though, as that would make it all the more tragic.

Oberi said:
Let's just hope that Miura never goes swimming. :miura:
Especially considering the dangers that lurk in a pool-type environment!
742072_lg.jpg

BEWARE THE INFLATABLE STINGRAYS, MIURA! BEWAAAAAAAAARE!!!!!!

I do admire the man and was sad to hear he died, but I still don't like how he played the stereotypical Ocker personality so heavily, which is perhaps part of the reason why he was so charismatic among other counties. Not exactly the greatest example for the average Australian IMO.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I didn't want to say anything before (because who wants to think the guy offed himself on a natural reflex action?), but yeah, first thing I thought of when I heard he pulled the barb out before dying is that it may have contributed to (or even been the cause of) his death. You never just want to yank out things like that because you don't know what they're in, on, holding together, or what kind of damage they'll do in reverse, could be a lot worse, especially with a barb. Whereas leaving it be can buy enough time to get professional treatment (people survive with some pretty weird things stuck in them, even in the heart and brain; it's when they're removed that more serious trauma is caused).

Anyway, that's hopefully not the case here though, as that would make it all the more tragic.
Problem with that is, how are you going to stop the Stingray from taking off and subsequently killing you? I don't think he would have made it ether way in my opinion.

With all of this barb controversy........

honestly, if i was swimming and suddenly got stabbed in the chest by a 10 inch stingray barb, would i......

1.) Pull it out because it hurts like hell?

or

2.) Stop, calmly think about it, reason that it wouldnt be wise to pull the barb out, and then sit tight for medics to arrive.

Somehow I think most people would do number 1

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheBeast43105 said:
Somehow I think most people would do number 1

The point isn't what you think most people would do, it's what is best to do or not. And it's better not to remove a knife/barb/anything after you get stabbed. I don't see why you guys can't accept this simple, widely acknowledged fact. Anyway he's dead now and last time I read about it people weren't even sure he had pulled the barb out, so it's really not something worth debating.

Top Bottom