Crocodile Hunter DEAD!

i was in grand cayman about 6 months ago and went out on a boat to a far off land sand bar... i was completely surrounded by stingrays with wing spans of atleast 6 feet(females) and cute little ones(males)... i didnt know much about them so of course i had to ask the captain, "why sting rays? do they actually sting?"... "hey mon just dont touch da tail"... i was able to catch one and lift him to the surface; in a completely humane way as instructed before hand... i fed them squid, pet them and swam along with them and then i turn on the news a couple of days ago and find out they killed steve!!! those traitors!!!

"Traitors," indeed.

Some people seem to think retribution is in order:

10 stingrays killed since Irwin's death

SYDNEY, Australia - At least 10 stingrays have been killed since "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was fatally injured by one of the fish, an official said Tuesday, prompting a spokesman for the late TV star's animal charity to urge people not take revenge on the animals.

Irwin died last week after a stingray barb pierced his chest as he recorded a show off the Great Barrier Reef.

Stingray bodies since have been discovered on two beaches in Queensland state on Australia's eastern coast. Two were discovered Tuesday with their tails lopped off, state fisheries department official Wayne Sumpton said.

Sumpton said fishermen who inadvertently catch the diamond-shaped rays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but the practice was uncommon. Stingrays often are caught in fishing nets by mistake and should be returned to the sea, Sumpton said.

Michael Hornby, the executive director of Irwin's Wildlife Warriors conservation group, said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for Irwin's death.

"It may be some sort of retribution, or it may be fear from certain individuals, or it just may be yet another callous act toward wildlife," he said.

He said killing stingrays was "not what Steve was about."

"We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife," he said.

Stingrays are usually shy, unobtrusive fish that rummage the sea bottom for food or burrow into the sand.

They have a serrated spine up to 10 inches long on their tails, which they can lash when stepped on or otherwise frightened.

The spines emit toxins that can kill many small creatures and cause excruciating pain in humans. Few people have died from the poison, but the spines can badly tear flesh and the wounds are prone to infections, including tetanus.

Hornby said people should treat stingrays with caution, but "there is still no need to ... kill or mutilate these important animals."

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I hate hearing about shit like this. People really suck. Like the article says, it's the polar opposite of what Steve would want them to do.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I'm not sure how many of you watch the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, but Norm Mcdonald had something to say about the Crocodile Hunter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VyIZW_TBjIg

Personally, I didn't appreciate it much as it just seemed to be in bad taste. Jon Stewart didn't seem very comfortable with how Norm's jokes were going either.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Saw that a few days ago, I actually found it relatively funny. Granted, it's early to make that kind of jokes and they might not be in very good taste, but that's just how humor goes.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Scorpio said:
Personally, I didn't appreciate it much as it just seemed to be in bad taste. Jon Stewart didn't seem very comfortable with how Norm's jokes were going either.

You mean by acting as a foil for the material and laughing along with a studio audience full of people? Yeah, seemed pretty awkward!

Anyway, God bless the jesters, Norm pulled it off in his way (drunk and a bit heavier than before).

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Aazealh said:
Saw that a few days ago, I actually found it relatively funny. Granted, it's early to make that kind of jokes and they might not be in very good taste, but that's just how humor goes.

No, I understand. Im not offended, it's good that people have the ability to poke fun at whatever I want. It's just it _was_ early, in my opinion, to make jokes like that. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

"Griffith No More!" said:
You mean by acting as a foil for the material and laughing along with a studio audience full of people? Yeah, seemed pretty awkward!
Well, I think he's being a good host. I don't know for a fact if it was just acting, but he did say that he didn't want to laugh about that.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well if you thought it was in bad taste why'd you share it with everyone?

Personally I found it hilarious. Norm's a bit heftier than he was but he's still pretty sharp with the wit. Besides he's just echoing the irony that everyone was saying earlier.

Escalus

Kiss My Cons
Sparnage said:
I do admire the man and was sad to hear he died, but I still don't like how he played the stereotypical Ocker personality so heavily, which is perhaps part of the reason why he was so charismatic among other counties. Not exactly the greatest example for the average Australian IMO.

Germaine Greer caustically expressed her opinions on this subject (and much more concerning his behavior with animals) mere HOURS after his passing...now THAT was bad timing. Often times I side with dissident voices merely because I feel that they need to be heard...often times I value the courage of the individual who voices their opinion without fear of retribution. However, timing is everything... :SK:

Escalus said:
Germaine Greer caustically expressed her opinions on this subject (and much more concerning his behavior with animals) mere HOURS after his passing...now THAT was bad timing.  Often times I side with dissident voices merely because I feel that they need to be heard...often times I value the courage of the individual who voices their opinion without fear of retribution.  However, timing is everything... :SK:

Yeah I read about her, she sounds like a fucking bitch trying to make her name in the media through being controversial.

For those who haven't read it;
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20366907-662,00.html

What made me particularly sick is when she said;
And those who had mourned him with their tributes at the Irwin family's Australia Zoo in what the British had labelled "a Princess Diana moment" were idiots, she said.

I would trade 5 members of the royal family for a Steve Irwin in a heartbeat, personally.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody called "Germaine" has any credibility about any topic whatsoever in the present day. I mean that's a name that stopped being used after WWI.

Top Bottom