Zodd's sword

Hey I've got a few questions about Zodd's sword.

Does Zodd use the same sword in every volume, the one he throws to Guts in the desert?
I just checked volume 5 he doesn't have it yet. But after that?
Especially in the newest episodes, I haven't read them yet so is he still using a sword or all :zodd: now

Does Zodd use the same sword in every volume, the one he throws to Guts in the desert?
Guts left that sword on the battlement of Doldrey castle, if I remember correctly, so I don't think Zodd used it again. He does wield a similar looking one later on (vol.17 and 22 - the hill of swords fight). Again, if I remember right, Aazealh commented about it being inspired by a ritual sword in Nepal, in the manga it is referred to as the Kushan horse sword. That one gets broken during the fight (by Guts more precisely) so the next time we see Zodd he is carrying a different one (again sort of similar in design) as well as an axe. This is again volume 22 and volume 23. Since then I believe he carries the same sword, but doesn't really use it much. I think that's pretty much it, but if I'm wrong someone will surely point it out. Hope it helps though...

So all his swords in chronological order would be:
1. Machete :p in volume 5
2. The thrown-to-guts blade in Battlement of Doldrey castle
3. Similiar design but different sword The hill of swords, it gets broken (kushan horse sword)
4. Sort of similiar design in vol 22-23 and he carries it for as long as we know

Correct?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vlad said:
in the manga it is referred to as the Kushan horse sword.

That name doesn't mean anything (a "horse sword" you say?)... Zodd just says the sword is Kushan when he comments on it being a horse-slaying sword as opposed to Guts' demon-slaying sword (it's a pun in Japanese).

vlad said:
I believe he carries the same sword, but doesn't really use it much.

What makes you think he doesn't use it much? We saw him fight with it more than we saw him fight with his other swords, he just hasn't fought any remarkable adversary in his human form for a while.

hatu said:
So all his swords in chronological order would be

Yes, I made you a nice comparative picture:

Zodd-swords.jpg

They're different each time. He used the sword he had during the liberation of Shet in volume 22 for quite a while, he still had it with him in volume 26 when he attacked Flora's mansion. However he seems to have a new one from what we can see during the flashback in episode 277.

Zodd-sword_277.jpg

That name doesn't mean anything (a "horse sword" you say?)... Zodd just says the sword is Kushan when he comments on it being a horse-slaying sword as opposed to Guts' demon-slaying sword (it's a pun in Japanese).
I thought he meant a "cavalry sword", that's why I mentioned it, but now I stand corrected... Come to think of it the "horse slaying" thing is much more in touch with the real life design of the blade (as I understood it, it was used mainly to sacrifice animals - oxen and such)
What makes you think he doesn't use it much? We saw him fight with it more than we saw him fight with his other swords, he just hasn't fought any remarkable adversary in his human form for a while.
What I was getting at was that we've lately seen him more in his apostle form as opposed to him wielding weapons, all on account that I wasn't sure it was the same sword.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vlad said:
Come to think of it the "horse slaying" thing is much more in touch with the real life design of the blade (as I understood it, it was used mainly to sacrifice animals - oxen and such)

Don't be mistaken though, the horse-slaying thing has nothing to do with the real-life swords it's based on (called Ram Dao). Like I said Miura just called it a "zanbatō" to make a pun, that term being also popular to call massive fictional swords these days (themselves being most likely inspired by the Dragon Slayer in the first place).

vlad said:
What I was getting at was that we've lately seen him more in his apostle form as opposed to him wielding weapons, all on account that I wasn't sure it was the same sword.

Well yeah, we've seen him more in his apostle form lately. But that doesn't mean he doesn't use his sword(s) much, especially since he's taking part in an active war. They just don't break as often when he's not fighting Guts. :guts:

I'm gonna make a 3D model of the 2nd sword and I got one more question about that.

Do you guys think the sword is actually curved like that or is it just bending because it's a action-shot of Zodd throwing it?
note: I got rid of some of the vibrating lines because I'm using it as reference pic
kyl2dl7.jpg

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
hatu said:
I'm gonna make a 3D model of the 2nd sword and I got one more question about that.

Do you guys think the sword is actually curved like that or is it just bending because it's a action-shot of Zodd throwing it?
note: I got rid of some of the vibrating lines because I'm using it as reference pic
kyl2dl7.jpg
I think this may be a better reference for ya!

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/photos/items/47/002147/ph-0.jpg

Hah, not really because it's of the wrong sword :guts:
That's badass though how Miura is using so much bits and pieces from actual history and making them cooler than they already are

Here's the main reference pic I traced, that ones just for alittle more detail on the /\/\/\ pattern from another angle.
kylag3.jpg

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
hatu said:
Hah, not really because it's of the wrong sword :guts:
That's badass though how Miura is using so much bits and pieces from actual history and making them cooler than they already are

Miura's work on Berserk is practically flawless, and his attention to small detail is amazing, I'm not surprised to find out he researches a lot to make sure his drawings are accurate.

Nice drawing also, I love the swords Zodd uses. When Guts cuts off the general's head along with the horses head, I was amazed, though I shouldn't of been, considering who it was... :guts:

SlimJ87D

Apollo
Better yet, I wonder who he goes to to keep getting all these swords. I mean they're decent and pretty strong if not put up against the dragon slayer. Guts was able to cut through a horse and mans head. And it looks pretty sharp too.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SlimJ87D said:
Better yet, I wonder who he goes to to keep getting all these swords.

He probably gets them off people he kills in battle. He could even collect good weapons and store them somewhere in case he needs them. I don't think he buys them or has them forged specifically for him, though it's not completely impossible either.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I would think that we could just rule out the possibility of him having his swords forged for him in that case. I can't see him getting the Kushan Horse Slayer that he used in the Fight on The Hill of Swords any other way.

Top Bottom