Crossing paths with Neo hawks again.

This was an idea conceived from the Episode 278 thread.

Although I don't think Griffith has any interest in finding Guts, he does have a habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The idea is by both admins that when Skully said, according to Saiki's translation "If you continue on your journey, you will encounter Apostles many times" It was only in relation to Vritannis. I'm not saying that's not the case, but I can't help but wonder if he was referring to further into the journey also.

For one, Guts has a habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. As Walter and Aaz said, there would be no reason to cross paths with Griffith's troops out in the sea (although I don't doubt they'll manage to piss something off on the boat trip.) In particular however, a potential time for Guts to next cross paths with Griffith's Apostles would be in Elfhelm. We already know Griffith doesn't like magic users from when Skully talked about why Griffith killed Flora.

Meeting in Elfhelm is but one Idea, there could easily be many other reasons for Guts and his group to run into them in different areas at different times. As he has been on his journey, he has already crossed paths with them a few times. Besides, the Neo Hawks including Griffith are of course, are the primary antagonists for Guts to deal with; his journey is obviously far from over, so Skully predicting Guts's destiny to continue crossing paths with them seems very plausible IMO.

Comments?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
The idea is by both admins that when Skully said, according to Saiki's translation "If you continue on your journey, you will encounter Apostles many times" It was only in relation to Vritannis.

Well, that's not exactly what I meant. Just that you can't justify the idea of Guts & co meeting apostles from the Neo Hawks while at sea by basing yourself on what SK said. His prediction already came true basically so it's not something we can say will happen for sure again while they're sailing. And there's a slight error in that translation you quoted: SK actually tells Guts that he'll encounter apostles soon (instead of "many times"). So... Yeah, to me it principally referred to Vritannis.

Sparnage said:
In particular however, a potential time for Guts to next cross paths with Griffith's Apostles would be in Elfhelm. We already know Griffith doesn't like magic users from when Skully talked about why Griffith killed Flora.

I don't think Griffith will send apostles to destroy Elfhelm. I've already expressed my views on the subject many times, but basically I just don't think it'd be interesting for him, and possibly not even feasible. Not to mention he's already very busy with other, more pressing problems.

Sparnage said:
there could easily be many other reasons for Guts and his group to run into them in different areas at different times. [...] Besides, the Neo Hawks including Griffith are of course, are the primary antagonists for Guts to deal with; his journey is obviously far from over

Well obviously, Guts' band is going to meet the Neo Hawks again in the future. Like you said, I don't see how they couldn't considering that Griffith is the main antagonist of the series. There's no need to speculate about it since it's practically certain, even from the characters' point of view. But right now and in the coming weeks/months, I'm more inclined to believe both sides will take care of their respective business. Once Guts & co come back from Elfhelm however... I expect some serious confrontations.

Translation error huh? Well that cripples this theory.

Still why do you feel Griffith wouldn't be interested in Elfhelm? He was busy during the time he had the Neo Hawks kill Flora, who was not exactly directly challenging his power. He is threatened of Magic users, and this king could end up being more powerful than Flora was.

I could see what you mean by not invading Elfhelm may not be feasible to him, or perhaps he does not know about it. But then he is a Godhand. I find it hard to completely rule out the possibility of some kind of conflict between the Hawks and Elfhelm in the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
Still why do you feel Griffith wouldn't be interested in Elfhelm? He was busy during the time he had the Neo Hawks kill Flora, who was not exactly directly challenging his power. He is threatened of Magic users, and this king could end up being more powerful than Flora was.

I didn't say he wouldn't be interested but that it wouldn't be an interesting thing to do. Think about it, he'd have to send apostles over the sea, to a far away place we're not sure he knows about. Remember how many apostles he sent to Flora's place? And how many died at the hand of Guts? And all of that without her doing anything because she was basically on her deathbed. The fact Griffith sent 2 of his lieutenants to take care of her shows how dangerous magic users can be. Grunberd was powerless when Flora decided to stop him, and Ganishka can kill apostles by the dozen with his lightning. So if Griffith sends his apostles to Elfhelm, they'll travel long and hard (how does Grunberd goes there? Can you imagine the hassle for apostles to be on a ship?) to finally come to a place where hypothetically dozens of strong witches will be waiting to fry them, in a land that will most likely be strongly warded against evil. And then Guts will be there too, and I'm not even talking about the elves and their king. In a lot of ways it seems too much of a bother for an unlikely reward, as Elfhelm is a remote island that's isolated from the rest of the world, it's not nearly as close to him as Flora was.

And aside from that, currently he's busy with Ganishka and the war, and later on he'll probably have to take care of his kingdom and his political allies for a while. Right now it looks like the war could end sooner than expected so things might change in that regard, but the war against the Kushans was the main thing I thought would require all his resources for a while.

Sparnage said:
I find it hard to completely rule out the possibility of some kind of conflict between the Hawks and Elfhelm in the series.

Well we can never completely rule out something until it happens or not. I was just saying that it seemed unlikely to me in the actual state of things. If the war against Ganishka ends in Vritannis and that Griffith achieves his goal, leaving his men idle, he could always send them to assault Skellig. He could know about it because he's what he is and not care about what happens to his soldiers. Now that would still bear a strong meaning as this time he knows Guts and Casca are there, so that would potential mean trying to kill them too. That wouldn't go well with his current denial of Guts having any signification or impact on him, nor with the Child's feelings for his parents.

But hey, who knows? It's not impossible. I wouldn't mind seeing it, and it'd be a good enough reason for Guts and co to leave the island and come back to the mainland.

Pesmerga

This is going to be one hell of a party
Yeah, it's clear every thing is possible but letting guts take a little nap for a few days or weeks can be good, with the encounter with uncle Ganishka you just have and the previous fight you can stay a little mister Guts. :guts:

We have to wait for the next move of Griffith for know what will happen.

Top Bottom