Episode 279

Aazealh said:
Same here, I don't see him staying idle if the Neo Hawks appear, and he must know they're nearby. I hope to see him use some earth-based magic this time around, since we've seen practically none so far in Berserk. Maybe we'd finally learn how the earth elementals are called. :SK:

Yeah we really haven't seen much of that; The events of Eps 220 and 221 where Schierke channels the "The God of the Rotting Roots" (Grayword's translation) while inside the Qliphoth, is the only instance where an earth-based spirit is used, at least as far as I can recall.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jepn30 said:
The events of Eps 220 and 221 where Schierke channels the "The God of the Rotting Roots" (Grayword's translation) while inside the Qliphoth, is the only instance where an earth-based spirit is used, at least as far as I can recall.

Yep. But it's "Lord of the Rotten Roots" to be exact.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Same here, I don't see him staying idle if the Neo Hawks appear, and he must know they're nearby. I hope to see him use some earth-based magic this time around, since we've seen practically none so far in Berserk. Maybe we'd finally learn how the earth elementals are called. :SK: He could have a Basilisk or a Cockatrice hidden somewhere on an elephant or inside his giant chariot. :void:
I agree as well that Ganishika is going to pull out all the stops and just go all out with his humans and monsters but the question is..... is Griffith going to keep his guys in check and make them stay in "Normal form"?

LoneWolf

I can see you !!!
Hi everybody... first post, after several months.
First of all thanks everybody for your big work... it's so good to have regular Berserk episodes, especially now (it seems to get better and better as times passes).

Current episode: not much to say that's not been already pointed out. Big battle ahead, marvellous artwork, and probably many magical / supernatural powers yet to be seen... thanks Miura.

Just a little detail: on page 6 we see a tower going up from the corner of a building. The tower seems to host the nobles and the Vandimion family. It reminded me a famous buliding in Florence (Italy), "Palazzo Vecchio". Here's a pic:

http://www.uky.edu/~allaire/Florence/Palazzo_Vecchio_2.jpg

Obviously it's a very simple design, and could come from everywhere... but Miura already showed us to know well Italian art / history, so...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
LoneWolf said:
Hi everybody... first post, after several months.
First of all thanks everybody for your big work... it's so good to have regular Berserk episodes, especially now (it seems to get better and better as times passes).

Hello, welcome to the forum.

LoneWolf said:
Just a little detail: on page 6 we see a tower going up from the corner of a building. The tower seems to host the nobles and the Vandimion family. It reminded me a famous buliding in Florence (Italy), "Palazzo Vecchio".

Yeah, that's old news, we've already talked about when it was first shown in episode 254.

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=4363.msg89661#msg89661

It's mostly the Tower of Arnolfo that looks similar, the palace itself is a bit different save for esthetical features like the style of the windows (the tower's also placed differently on it).

C

cajunman380

Im probably just speculating out of my rear here, but dont you think Ganishka is only fooling himself in what he says? I mean The fact that the beasts attacked in the fog at night and some were sent specifically to the place where all the important officals were gathered leads me to believe if Gut's crew hadnt intervened then the city would be practically his, wouldnt it? And the Holy see would very much be crippled. I also have to wonder how him losing to a mere Human would affect his ego at this point. I mean he has a scar on his forehead thats rather hard to ignore.

I also have to wonder how much Griffith knows of the situation at this point. He was nearby enough to send apostles into the city yet coincidently guts happens to save the high officials that probably make all of th ebig decisions. Did Griffith intend for the nobels to die. I mean the pontiff is easy enough. Could this somehow prove disastrous for griffith in the long run (in some way anyway).

As for silat. Well unless he plans to flee from pursuing troops on ship, the only way i would see him meeting up with Guts again is after elfhelm. If he does meet them up at see he could probably be the guy to let the cat out of th ebag so to speak. Since he and Guts would be th eonly individuals there who had a past with each other pre eclipse.

Well just my thoughs..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
cajunman380 said:
I mean The fact that the beasts attacked in the fog at night and some were sent specifically to the place where all the important officals were gathered leads me to believe if Gut's crew hadnt intervened then the city would be practically his, wouldnt it? And the Holy see would very much be crippled. I also have to wonder how him losing to a mere Human would affect his ego at this point. I mean he has a scar on his forehead thats rather hard to ignore.

Well the city's a mess anyway. It hasn't been completely destroyed but it's in chaos and some relatively serious damage was dealt in specific parts. If Guts & co hadn't been there the damage would have been bigger, but since the Neo Hawks appeared to put a stop to the onslaught shortly after I don't think too much would have changed other than that. The town wouldn't have been Ganishka's, it would just have been annihilated. In itself I don't think this would have crippled the Holy See alliance at short term (I'm insisting on alliance here, the Holy See itself isn't the matter), however to kill all the nobles and military officers would have been a serious problem for the armies.

Now, if you read this episode carefully, you'll see that a lot of officers seem to be missing anyway, and that means that even though Guts & co intervened, the raid on the ball was partly successful. The armies are disorganized, and disorganization means defeat. Not to mention that without leaders and as unprepared as they are the soldiers will panick quickly in front of such an immense and surprising attack. So all in all, it's not making a big difference so far. It might do later or not, only time will tell. About Ganishka's scar, I think it's pretty obvious he's phenomenally pissed off. However I don't believe that the fact Guts did it bothers him all that much (meaning not more that if it had been Zodd alone for example). There's nothing "mere" about Guts, he's a unique character and Ganishka knows it. Being human only makes him more remarkable.

cajunman380 said:
I also have to wonder how much Griffith knows of the situation at this point. He was nearby enough to send apostles into the city yet coincidently guts happens to save the high officials that probably make all of th ebig decisions. Did Griffith intend for the nobels to die. I mean the pontiff is easy enough. Could this somehow prove disastrous for griffith in the long run (in some way anyway).

Interesting question. Either Griffith didn't care about the nobles or preferred that they died, or he simply couldn't react faster than he did (preventing the attack at the ball would have meant having apostles stalking the city and looking for stealthy tigers, an unlikely scenario). I don't think it matters all that much to him right now, he probably just wanted to clean the town before the real battle began, but as you said in the long run I could see the Vandimion family (in particular) being a problem. In that way Guts' actions could indirectly prove nefast to him.

cajunman380 said:
As for silat. Well unless he plans to flee from pursuing troops on ship, the only way i would see him meeting up with Guts again is after elfhelm.

That's how I see it right now, meeting after the group comes back from Elfhelm. He could be the one telling them about what's been happening to the world in their absence or something like that. He and his clan seem to be good at surviving.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
That's how I see it right now, meeting after the group comes back from Elfhelm. He could be the one telling them about what's been happening to the world in their absence or something like that. He and his clan seem to be good at surviving.
SLight derail but Silat and Co. remind me of the character in Kenshin who had his merry band of uber ninjas but they ended up getting killed(One of them ran in teh way of a gattling gun to protect him), I know that may be vague but I can't recall his name.

Judo

Midlands finest
Shinomori Aoshi... leader of the Oniwa-Banshu.

some parts of their background is rather similar... but I don't see a very big resemblance in their characters.

Well, to fetch it a little far... If we assume that this is the "big battle" where the downfall of the Kushan army and thereby the biggest step towards "Falconia" is achieved, it will be damn interesting to see where Siltats place in the future will be.

LoneWolf

I can see you !!!
Aazealh said:
Hello, welcome to the forum.
Thank you.

Yeah, that's old news, we've already talked about when it was first shown in episode 254.
Whoops... sorry man, I completely missed it. By the way, that episode is more than a year ago!!! Gee, time passes... I wonder how long will take the big battle.

Go on, Sensei! :miura:

A late post - I only now read the EPISODE and the translation.

I doubt Griffith could not see the approach of a such a huge army. Given his penchant for elaborated strategies, he probably has been busy preparing his forces for the ultimate clash with the Kushan army and that could be connected with the reason why he intervened so late and did try to save the nobles at the ball or the city. He needed the pontiff - he got him. Guts and the Co wiped out the legion of familiars, but his apostles were capable of handling the situation. He also got rid of Ganishka's fog - I wonder if he went there in case the task was beyond Zodd.The rest probably did not concern him. :griff:

Now it is time for a personal showdown with Ganishka - I wonder how Griffith will deal with him without revealing to everyone his own inhumane abilities (other than having every human being around already dead by that point - with the exception of Silat's group may be). Griffith's troops will also have to take their apostle form to overcome the numerically superior army led by Ganishka. A PR problem? :puck:

S

smoke

The quote thing isn't working for me, sorry.

But as far as people seeing Grif's apostle army, the cat's already out of the bag on that one.

And when it comes to Griffith needing to show off some Godhand smackdown, I doubt he will make it look anything but heavenly and just.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
JZBaltazar said:
the reason why he intervened so late and did try to save the nobles at the ball or the city.

Uhh, don't you mean that he didn't try to save the nobles at the ball?

JZBaltazar said:
Guts and the Co wiped out the legion of familiars, but his apostles were capable of handling the situation. He also got rid of Ganishka's fog

Guts & co took out a good chunk of Daka, but there were other Kushan troops left from what we've seen. In that respect the apostles also did their part of the job. Anyway, Griffith didn't get rid of Ganishka's fog. When Daiba and his men departed the fog retreated too, it's not something Griffith did.

Aye matties.. They've finally got on the boat.. Hmm.. I see in my cristal ball a 2 volume voyage to Elfhelm.. A new Odissey peraphs :carcus:
Anywho..
The army outside Vritannis will prolly be obliterated and there wont be enough survivors in the battlefield to tell about the Demon Knights.. Yes, i think that Griffith will be sending his knights to "mop the floor" with the Kushans.. A strategy resembling the one he used to distract Ganishka some episodes ago.. But in a larger scale.. Peraphs we will see a Griffith / Ganishka showdown :badbone:
wich will be awesome! :isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well guys, the cover of volume 31 is up on Young Animal's website:

Volume31_cover.jpg

Announcement itself is here: http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/window/comics.html

Great episode. There's not much to be said that hasn't been covered already. The art was incredible.

I'm worried by the lack of a "next episode release date", though. I know it'll be a while, it just worries me that we don't have a date.

I have faith in Miura, though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
Aye matties.. They've finally got on the boat.. Hmm.. I see in my cristal ball a 2 volume voyage to Elfhelm.. A new Odissey peraphs :carcus:
Yarrrr! Thay gote on teh boat last epis0de. Also, whay too bee sarcasticly posotive! A new fhag poste mebbe? :schierke:
Yes, i think that Griffith will be sending his knights to "mop the floor" with the Kushans.. A strategy resembling the one he used to distract Ganishka some episodes ago.. But in a larger scale..
That would be absolutely nothing like Griffith's strategy in Wyndham. That force was specifically designed to divert Ganishka's attention and play with his kids while Griffith reclaimed Charlotte, not to seize victory on the battlefield against a huge invading army. What exactly made you think it would be anything at all like the Wyndham skirmish?

And they're not all knights you know...
Peraphs we will see a Griffith / Ganishka showdown :badbone:

wich will be awesome! :isidro:
It'll be awesome, but it'd be even COOLER if you learned to use the spell checker by then.

S

Some Guy

One thing I'm wondering is whether or not Griffith's army is going to decide to help right away, or will wait a while for the Vritannis army to soften up the Kushan army a bit before interfering.

Also, perhaps Griffith will wait until the Kushan forces completely decimate the defending forces before driving back the Kushans. That way, without an army to support Vritannis, Vandimion will sway more easily towards Griffith's terms.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Knight o' Skeleton said:
One thing I'm wondering is whether or not Griffith's army is going to decide to help right away, or will wait a while for the Vritannis army to soften up the Kushan army a bit before interfering.

The problem with that logic is that it doesn't look like the Holy See coalition is going to soften up anything at the rate things are going. They're disorganised, unprepared, and their leaders are nowhere to be seen. Owen judiciously remarked on it in this episode. If nobody intervenes they'll be slaughtered. I think the Hawks will attack soon after the battle has begun, but more to take the Kushans by surprise, ensure they can't back away, or strike their weak point(s). The Holy See alliance will probably suffer severe losses no matter what, but while I think Griffith will see it as beneficial, IMHO it'd make more sense for him to use them as buffer so he doesn't lose too many soldiers himself. He could take their lead in the midst of battle and strengthen his image of savior.

Knight o' Skeleton said:
Also, perhaps Griffith will wait until the Kushan forces completely decimate the defending forces before driving back the Kushans. That way, without an army to support Vritannis, Vandimion will sway more easily towards Griffith's terms.

But can Griffith defeat the Kushan forces with his troops alone (or is he willing to do it)? Have you seen how numerous they are? They're apparently more than the Holy See alliance's, and these already combine the armies of several countries. His apostles would be at work for hours to kill that many people. And I don't see why you think he would do that to sway Vandimion to his side. He's just an influential noble with a strong financial power, it's not like Griffith needs his support desperately (and Vandimion might not be reticent to help him anyway). He's already got the Pontiff, and you'd think the leaders of other countries like Tudor would be more important to him... Besides Vandimion was at the ball, the only reason he's still alive is because Guts (and Farnese) saved him.

Top Bottom