Buying an HDTV

Just want to get some thoughts. I'm buying an HDTV. Currently I think I am getting a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma. As far as burn in goes that really isn't an issue with plasmas from major companies anymore. The main thing I am thinking about is if I should wait for 1080p prices to come down. The PS3 is going to output 1080p and I don't want to be kicking myself six months from now. Not an issue withthe 360 or the Wii since they won't output 1080p.

What do you guys think. Not that big of a difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p or should I wait it out a bit.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I think if you have the money you should wait a bit and buy a Samsung LED-based TV, since the technology is far superior to Plasma or LCD in every aspect.

Otherwise for the 720p/1080i difference, depending on the price gap I'd recommend you to settle for 720p if you want the best quality/price ratio possible.

CnC

Ad Oculos
We've got some Panasonic Plasmas (all the new ones are 50 inchers) at the place I work and they are very pretty. And they've been on for loooooong periods of time with no burn-in, so you're right in thinking thats a non-issue. Plus many critics are quick to praise the plasma's ability to reproduce color in motion over the LCDs.

As far as the 720/1080p thing goes, I suppose it just depends on your budget and how long you're willing to wait for that price drop. The 720 (768) screens are getting very cheap nowadays (hard for me to resist). Plus I don't see a price drop on the 1080 screens coming, but then again I haven't really kept my ear to the ground on that one.

So my vote is go for the 720 screen. I don't think you'll kick yourself in the foot any time soon for not having waited.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
I think if you have the money you should wait a bit and buy a Samsung LED-based TV, since the technology is far superior to Plasma or LCD in every aspect.
Granted they are better but they are so expensive, like 3,999. I don't know how cheap you ca find the plasma's but I looked at the first one I found and it was 50" PDP-5070HD PLASMA TV W/SPEAKERS for 540 + free shipping. Now I'm even thinking of buying one.

Aazealh said:

Otherwise for the 720p/1080i difference, depending on the price gap I'd recommend you to settle for 720p if you want the best quality/price ratio possible.

Hah if you want to wait for a real step up, just wait for SED's, with something like 100,000:1 contrast ratio's, the best blacks, the best colors, the best for motion, etc. THey'll probably gonna cost an arm and a leg but hey, that's what you get for your money.

Samsung LED DLP. True 1080P input. Most 1080P sets right now take a 1080i signal and scale it. HDMI 1.3 standard will include the true 1080P connection.

I have a Samsung 46" DLP. I had a RP HDTV before that. I have had no problems with the DLP after owning it for over 2 yrs now.

Edit: The LED DLP comes out this month, so reviews should start popping up.

HawaiianStallion said:
Hah if you want to wait for a real step up, just wait for SED's, with something like 100,000:1 contrast ratio's, the best blacks, the best colors, the best for motion, etc. THey'll probably gonna cost an arm and a leg but hey, that's what you get for your money.

SED TVs have no current release date. The LED comes out this month. TVs have become like computer hardware, you keep waiting for the next best thing you will always be waiting :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Hah if you want to wait for a real step up, just wait for SED's, with something like 100,000:1 contrast ratio's, the best blacks, the best colors, the best for motion, etc.

What grendelrt said. The first LED-based TVs are already available, SED won't be before quite a while. Right now the Samsung LED DLP is really the best thing to get IMHO, if you're willing to pay the price.

Aazealh said:
What grendelrt said. The first LED-based TVs are already available, SED won't be before quite a while. Right now the Samsung LED DLP is really the best thing to get IMHO, if you're willing to pay the price.

Linky?

Hmmmmmm very interesting. I'll keep my eyes open for the reviews.

I mean the main reason I was leaning towards Plasma is that I love the way the colors looked.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Thread Revival!

Allrighty, so my wife's old tv dies and well... decides to get an HDTV. For the record I know nothing about them, so I am hopeful that someone here knows enough to help out :void:

Saddly I can only get it on Best Buy (I really hate that god forsaken place) but we have a decent credit there... anywho, looking at prices notices this little puppy was on sale:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8749385&type=product&id=1202649424358

Now the sale price is at 1,339.00 but I just want to ensure I get my moneys worth. Browsing on reviews sounds like a good deal, however... that 15,000:1 ratio doesn't really impresses me. Or am I wrong? Main use would be blueray discs, Dvd's and HD Cable. No computers are planned to be connected to it. Anywho, if anyone here has a better knowledge I would appreciate any comments. Thank you in advance.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I got a PS3 on a big ass projector screen at 1080i and at first I had it set to 480. When I finally decided to figure out how everything in my entertainment system worked, I was amazed at the difference. Can't really say about 1080i over 1080p, but there is a visible difference between 720 and 1080 especially during gameplay.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Thanks for the reply, but I guess my main concern is that I get my money's worth. I just want to know if this thing is at least decent or should I consider other brands etc.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Thanks for the reply, but I guess my main concern is that I get my money's worth. I just want to know if this thing is at least decent or should I consider other brands etc.

Sorry for not replying earlier man, I wanted to consider things in detail and check out reviews before posting but I'm not going to have time. That TV looks good as it is, but the only way to know for sure is to check professional reviews (with a strict test protocol and such). The fact it's got a Built-In HDTV Tuner is a good thing, the contrast of 15,000:1 isn't bad, but it's also not comparable to the current high class models (some Samsung TVs now have a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio). For that price I'd say it's not that good. The best brands currently are Samsung and Sony, but even among their models not all are good. Some are overpriced, some are good deals, etc. Depending on how much you want to spend, I'd recommend sticking with that price and going for a slightly smaller size, or just going for a more expensive model and a bigger size.

I don't know have time to search for good reviewing websites that are adapted to the US market, but I'm sure you can find some easily. Do that and compare each screen's strengths and weaknesses carefully before buying. I definitely don't recommend buying on an impulse, and I wouldn't put too much trust into the shop's own descriptions.

Top Bottom