AOW release: Guts & Farnese on Horse

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Aazealh said:
It's a model kit and it's "fan-made" yeah. You can buy it at Hobby conventions in Japan, and since it's been around for over a year you can also check Yahoo Japan auctions for it. Keep your eyes peeled as there aren't that many available.

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up and for the hasty reply, I will do that.

Grovel said:
There was a completed kit (looked very good) on Yahoo Japan last week. Was up to 18,000 Yen last time I saw it but that was with a few days to run. I assume it went for a lot more than that.

Here's the link to the auction. It actually ended at a very good price (IMO):

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b71648129

f748.jpg

dde8.jpg

c995.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Got this email from AOW (removed the useless parts):

After a long, long period of repeating supervision and reproduction, we are happy to inform you that other masterpiece of ART OF WAR, Guts & Farnese will be released on 16th March at last.

Guts & Farnese ~model kits~ will be released on the same day.

Shipping of the 2 items will be executed within 2 weeks after payment has been settled.

Note: New Beherit of Guts is not attached to the released Guts & Farnese statue

Serpico said:
I've seen this other farnese statue a long time ago, it is a much cuter style if not too much so.

http://mimyan.hp.infoseek.co.jp/farune-ze.htm

I was wondering if someone who can read japanese better could explain exactly what this is? A kit? A fanmade thing? can you buy them?

If you goto the top page and click "House", you can find Schierke and Erica as well. All looking very good.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b73194415

Good price. If you still want it, get it while you can!

[quote author=AOW]
Guts & Farnese will be released on 16th March at last
[/quote]

Just had a look at the AOW website and noticed that this is now sold out. Good to see. Hope someone who has got one of these on order gets some good pics up as soon as they get it. (Also hope that I don't regret not ordering one!)

Got my kit yesterday! Strange that the postman actually rang my bell on a Sunday... Anyways, the kit comes in the same box as the standard AOW pre-painted box, which is a big plus, because that way, after the kit is all painted up, it will fit snuggly back in the AOW box just like a pre-painted statue would be. In other words, travel-friendly! =)

Getting my pre-painted one today...

EDIT: UPDATE - IMPORTANT!!!

For those that ordered this statue, make sure you open it immediately! When I received my kit version, the instructions, parts of the styrofoams, the inner bags that hold the various kit pieces were a bit damp. Actually, some of the inner bags had very noticeable water droplets. My guess is that after the kits were finished being heated, they were immediately put into the plastic bags, and so the heat created the wetness. There looked like to be a tad bit of yellow-ness on the bottom of my styrofoam due to the moisture, but nothing horrible. Also, of course the kit was a bit damp, but that's ok since it's going to be painted over.

BUT, when I got my prepaint yesterday, same case. However, since it's already painted, the wetness can be really bad. Especially if it leads to mold. In fact, on the horse's tail, there looked to me that there was a slight mildew/mold on it (maybe about the size of a hard contact lense). Anyways, I easily wiped it off with a piece of cloth, so it's no big deal. BUT, as a warning, all of you should open it when you get it, and take it out of the box for a little bit (if it's wet). I think it's best for it to dry completely before putting it back in storage (if you're not planning to display it right away). You definitely DON'T want lots of mold to grow on your $400 statue!

Other than that... the statue is pretty difficult to assemble. Granted, it's only 3 parts, but it's a bit daunting balancing the ghosts (is that what they are called Aaz?) on Guts' cape and Farnese's back, and then inserting Guts' sword in between the ghost's mouth. Pretty neat design the way they did that, so the ghosts has its weight on both Guts sword/arm and Guts cape.

My impressions of the statue... hmmm... it's a really dynamic sculpt, but it's a bit busy. Or maybe if there was a bit more color variation all the different details would stand out better. Overall, it's a good companion piece with all the rest of the 1/15 horse statues, but probably not one to be able to stand entirely on its own.

Good news, though, is that the nice thick cardboard collector's boxes are back. Finally, no more of that cheapy thin and bendy cardboard! Yay!

Anyways, anyone else with their impressions?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's a very valuable advice there Derek, good thing you're keeping an eye on such things.

DirectDK said:
the ghosts (is that what they are called Aaz?)

Yeah, "ghosts" or "spectres."

JIN

Yudanero...
DirectDK said:
EDIT: UPDATE - IMPORTANT!!!

For those that ordered this statue, make sure you open it immediately!

Thanks for the heads up! A similar situation with mine and the "wetness". Nip that problem in the bud. Statue is as advertised, dont expect anything other than what you see in the aow photos.

:serpico: I think it's Farnese's stunt double Olga on the horse. For sure it's not Farnese. :troll:

JIN said:
Thanks for the heads up! A similar situation with mine and the "wetness". Nip that problem in the bud. Statue is as advertised, dont expect anything other than what you see in the aow photos.

:serpico: I think it's Farnese's stunt double Olga on the horse. For sure it's not Farnese. :troll:

Just paid for the extra shipping on mine. :puck:

Looking forward to a wet Olga!

Just sent AOW an email about it. I didn't rant to them or anything, but just wanted to inform them of what happened, and that there are multiple cases out there. I wonder what they'll say...

JIN said:

LOL. Yeah, the faces of Guts/Farnese aren't too great. But, actually, the statue has grown on me since I opened it. I still think the paint job could use a bit more colors, but the sculpt is actually pretty crazy when you think about it. That's some advance sculpting, right there!

Grovel said:
Any chance of some photos? Please?

Hmmm, well, since my move, I don't have my tripod anymore, and my camera has a really slow shutter speed, so I can't take very good pictures unless I use flash. I'll try messing around some.

BUT, John is starting my Guts/Farnese kit TOMORROW (Thursday, the 12th). Should be done in a week or so. Maybe I'll post some in-progress shots, but usually I just like to spring them all at once!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
DirectDK said:
BUT, John is starting my Guts/Farnese kit TOMORROW (Thursday, the 12th). Should be done in a week or so. Maybe I'll post some in-progress shots, but usually I just like to spring them all at once!

Sweet! I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do with it. :guts:

DirectDK said:
Hmmm, well, since my move, I don't have my tripod anymore, and my camera has a really slow shutter speed, so I can't take very good pictures unless I use flash. I'll try messing around some.

Thanks, whatever you can do will be appreciated

DirectDK said:

Look forward to seeing what John comes up with :isidro:

Hey guys! Yeah, the picture is there. =) Thanks for all the congrats! I just informed John too.

Joa said:
Too fxxxxxg bad John didn't get the cred thou.. :miura:
Still Extremely awesome!!! :carcus:

Yeah, I sent an email to AOW about that. Hopefully they will get it changed soon.

On a side note, actually, the customer agents at AOW that I usually send/receive emails from really like the paintup (especially the spectres) and the big boss of AOW gave me advice and painting-pointers on what John and I can do for future Berserk kits. I am happy and grateful that AOW put up a picture of my kit!

Congrats to Derek and Jon!

I just opened mine. Nothing new to comment other than that it feels like a different resin mixture to me than usual. I don't want to say plasticy but I can't think of a better description. Surely to avoid breakage. Beyond that I like the concept parts of the execution could have been better.

Did anyone else get a hand written note in their box? Basically it thanked me for my purchase and asked for feedback or advice via e-mail. Pretty nice touch.

Maiku said:
Did anyone else get a hand written note in their box? Basically it thanked me for my purchase and asked for feedback or advice via e-mail. Pretty nice touch.

Hmmm, I don't recall specifically, but it's been a while since I opened mine. I'll have to check later. That's cool, though!

Going on what I have seen, which is AOW's pics and John's pics, I would say that john has done an awesome job on bringing the kit to life. In comparison the AOW statue looks more 'bland', with the use of very similar colours. I should be receiving mine from Masato next week so will be nice to 'see it in the flesh' and hopefully it will look much better than the pics. John should be very pleased (and you too Derek, you paid for it!) - its his finished work that is the first one up there.

Top Bottom