Finding new details when re-reading. Does this happen to anyone else?

SlimJ87D

Apollo
I was rereading volume 27, and I have to go back and reread Guts' fights because there are small little cool things he does sometimes that I missed before. Like the part where Serpico and Isidro gets attacked by apostles and Guts actually throws his sword right threw them. There's a actually a lot I didn't notice in 27 because of just not having enough time at the time and having to rush through it.

It feels like you either have to read and look at every piece of detail and art or reread the mangas to see how much more awesome Guts is than how you know he already is.

Anyone have any other cool parts that in the manga that I should reread while I can?

CnC

Ad Oculos
SlimJ87D said:
Anyone have any other cool parts that in the manga that I should reread while I can?

The whole bloody thing, man. I do it all the time, each time one could discover something new.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
what i do when i have the time is : when there is a new volume coming out (english ones for me) i just reread all the series a little bit before the volume goes out! that way each time i reread the old ones more then the new ones until another volume comes out! but it is true though that the more i read them the more i find stuff that i never saw before

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I discover new little details each time I read through the series. It just goes to show how much Miura puts into Berserk.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I don't discover new little details everytime I read Berserk. I still find some small things from time to time but it's pretty rare and usually it's past a level of detail that most people wouldn't even think of. I mean the fact Guts killed these apostles by throwing his sword isn't a "small detail" at all to me. I guess my case doesn't count though. :SK:

Nevertheless, sometimes I do remember things I had forgotten when re-reading. To answer your question about what parts to re-read, I can only agree with CnC: the whole manga.

EDIT: Changed the thread title so it'd be clearer.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I still find some small things from time to time but it's pretty rare and usually it's past a level of detail that most people wouldn't even think of.
I.E. Zodd's silhouette at the Child's appearance on the beach? Small things indeed... :griff:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Well, that was an exception. :beast:
Exceptionally awesome. As for me, I almost always catch new things when I re-read the series, especially recently as I've been catching up on the controversial DH releases :badbone:.

Revisiting the series has never proven unfruitful for me. I always find a new angle of Berserk to appreciate.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I'm usually pretty dense when I read things the first time around, and Berserk is no exception, as much as I hate to admit it. :judo: Though there's the one frame in Volume 23, on the page where Guts kneels in front of Casca, that struck me particularly. I didn't really see from where his hand was, but I believe Guts was actually holding a lock of Casca's hair before wiping her face. To me, it just made that whole moment much more significant. :casca: I'd never noticed it while reading it the first time, now I'm surprised that I could have overlooked it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Though there's the one frame in Volume 23, on the page where Guts kneels in front of Casca, that struck me particularly. I didn't really see from where his hand was, but I believe Guts was actually holding a lock of Casca's hair before wiping her face.

He's holding her shoulder actually (putting the cloak more tightly around her so she doesn't catch a cold).

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Aazealh said:
He's holding her shoulder actually (putting the cloak more tightly around her so she doesn't catch a cold).
Really? Aw, dagnabbit. I got so excited when I first noticed it, since it sure looked like her hair. Oh well, still a touching scene.

And to stay on topic a bit more, I'll just mention an instance that I'm sure wasn't caused by hallucination. In that part in Volume 12 where Griffith has that big epiphany with the old woman and the pile of bodies, I'd overlooked a rather interesting bit when reading the first time where the fortune teller is shown to be Ubik sitting on top of Conrad with a little mask and costume. It kind of made me want to chuckle, but it's a bit depressing when you think about it. :[

The first time I read through the second-eclipse arc, I made it through without really knowing what the hell Mozgus and his men were. I made it through the arc and thought back on it, thinking they were some kind of apostles from heaven or something. I guess I really didn't pay attention when I read that portion of the book. I also had no idea why the demons were spawning up around Casca, I thought she had some kind of magical power that the brand gave her to summon demons. God I'm an idiot.

I think it was the third or fourth time reading through the manga that I started to really understand what was going on with the behelit apostle and Casca's brand drawing out the unsettled spirits from the surroundings.

And needless to say, I absorbed absolutely no detailed information the first time I read through the troll slaying arc. It went right through my head.

Top Bottom