Bioshock!

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/793/793105/vids_1.html

Made behind the same minds who gave us System Shock 2, and it doesnt look like any of the ambition or talent has been lost over the years. Check out this 15 minute first ever video of what could be one of the best games in ages.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Re: Bioshock! Amazing AI, incredible water effects, just awesome in general!

HawaiianStallion said:
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/793/793105/vids_1.html

Made behind the same minds who gave us System Shock 2, and it doesnt look like any of the ambition or talent has been lost over the years. Check out this 15 minute first ever video of what could be one of the best games in ages.
This better be good or Lime cat will be EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED. :miura:

EDIT:... Lime cat...... is interested...... it looks very promissing but like they said, they have some high expectations if they want to redfine what a FPS is. Looks pretty cool though.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
This better be good or Lime cat will be EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.  :miura:

EDIT:... Lime cat...... is interested...... it looks very promissing but like they said, they have some high expectations if they want to redfine what a FPS is.  Looks pretty cool though.

Not exactly hard with how stagnant the FPS market has been for the last several... years. There have been some good games, but often times its just a gimmic or unique twist on the same ideas.

CnC

Ad Oculos

HawaiianStallion said:
Not exactly hard with how stagnant the FPS market has been for the last several... years. There have been some good games, but often times its just a gimmic or unique twist on the same ideas.

Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and I'll probably get it; however, I'm not seeing anything revolutionary. Everything that was demonstrated has been done before. The only thing they seem to have added is a level of choice to some already existing play mechanics.

I don't think the FPS market is stagnant at all, really. Bioshock looks to be a great game but its still just a twist (or "gimmic", as you put it) on existing fps mechanics.

"Don't get me wrong, the game looks great and I'll probably get it; however, I'm not seeing anything revolutionary. Everything that was demonstrated has been done before. The only thing they seem to have added is a level of choice to some already existing play mechanics.

I don't think the FPS market is stagnant at all, really. Bioshock looks to be a great game but its still just a twist (or "gimmic", as you put it) on existing fps mechanics. "

- well the point is that the AI inhabits the enviroment, the only scripted part was at the end when the shutters fall across the windows, the lights go out and you're trapped with several enemies by the mad musician.

You'll see the Big Daddies walking around looking for suitable adam supplies, finding the vents for the little sisters to come out of, and even engagin in battle with aggressors who get to close, and so on and so forth.

Think SS2 or Deus Ex, not run and gun. And honestly I do see the FPS genre as stagnant, the best FPS I played in years was F.E.A.R. and thats simply because the AI was awesome in battle. I didnt like HL2, Doom 3, Far Cry, etc. etc.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Yeah, the sell here isn't anything revolutionary but that System Shock titles, like 2, usually end up being totally badass.

CnC

Ad Oculos

HawaiianStallion said:
- well the point is that the AI inhabits the enviroment, the only scripted part was at the end when the shutters fall across the windows, the lights go out and you're trapped with several enemies by the mad musician.

You'll see the Big Daddies walking around looking for suitable adam supplies, finding the vents for the little sisters to come out of, and even engagin in battle with aggressors who get to close, and so on and so forth.

Thats hardly 'revolutionary', dude. Actually it just seems like the next logical step for AI after FEAR.

I still like the game and will get it, but its 'evolutionary' more than 'revolutionary'. I only take issue with PR people touting it as such.

Griffith

CnC said:
I still like the game and will get it, but its 'evolutionary' more than 'revolutionary'.  I only take issue with PR people touting it as such.

What if the revolutionary aspect is something more intrinsic and subtle within the playing of the game experience itself? :carcus:

I mean, System Shock and SS2 almost seem revolutionary themselves compared to a lot of stuff today (and still getting ripped off).

"Thats hardly 'revolutionary', dude. Actually it just seems like the next logical step for AI after FEAR.

I still like the game and will get it, but its 'evolutionary' more than 'revolutionary'. I only take issue with PR people touting it as such. "

- I'm aware stuff like the SIMS and so forth have had that type of thing to some extent, but its not really something seen in action or adventure games. I guess Oblivion sort of did it, but I felt it was rather limited at times.

CnC

Ad Oculos

"Griffith No More!" said:
What if the revolutionary aspect is something more intrinsic and subtle within the playing of the game experience itself? :carcus:

Well thats that, then. I'm just sayin 'from that demo it doesn't look like anything all that new, to me.

...but I'm still getting it

And HawaiianStallion, the quote function is REALLY easy to use, man. Just hit the 'reply with quote' at the top right of my post or just hit the little text bubble button in the actual message.

HawaiianStallion said:
- I'm aware stuff like the SIMS and so forth have had that type of thing to some extent, but its not really something seen in action or adventure games. I guess Oblivion sort of did it, but I felt it was rather limited at times.

...see?

Overall I think "revolutionary" is an overused word in gaming (probably in a lot of things). Every new feature added to a game is called revolutionary. Thats pretty much all I'm saying. Bioshock looks to be a great game.

Yeah I didnt even realizing I was copying and pasting what people were saying instead of using the quote function, oh well.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

I'm a revolutionary fag. That's rev-o-lu-tion-ar-y.

Sorry to raise this from the dead but the release dates are nearing so I was wandering if anyone else is (still) looking forward to this? The Xbox demo is out with PC to follow so if anyone's played it I'd appreciate a heads up. But the main event for me is the cool looking art book, get it HERE (mind the spoilers in the foreword!).

CnC

Ad Oculos

vlad said:
Sorry to raise this from the dead but the release dates are nearing so I was wandering if anyone else is (still) looking forward to this? The Xbox demo is out with PC to follow so if anyone's played it I'd appreciate a heads up. But the main event for me is the cool looking art book, get it HERE (mind the spoilers in the foreword!).

I saw the artbook but I'm going to refrain from looking at it until I play the game. I'm actually pretty psyched to play it, but I'm going to have to wait a few weeks while my xbox gets repaired... :judo: :judo: :judo:

Griffith

CnC said:
I saw the artbook but I'm going to refrain from looking at it until I play the game. I'm actually pretty psyched to play it, but I'm going to have to wait a few weeks while my xbox gets repaired... :judo: :judo: :judo:

Hahaha, Ah, the modern video game era. :troll:

CnC said:
Well, the art is mostly design progression, I'm not really sure what made the final cut, in other words it's pretty much look but don't read kind of thing. Also if the repairs take too long you could get the PC version :carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos

Griffith No More! said:
Hahaha, Ah, the modern video game era. :troll:

I tried blowing on the cartridge but it was no good...

at least the repair is free... :griff:

vlad said:
Also if the repairs take too long you could get the PC version :carcus:

I'm sure my PC is already way outdated for being just over a year old.

Dirty Dog

this seems like a game I need to try out, much as I [hate / suck at] FPS games.

And it's about time these games start taking advantage of improved technology for things beyond graphics! :troll:

Downloaded the demo...played it. It's a very pretty game. I wouldn't say "It's the BEST GAME EVER, OMFG!!!!!" But it's def worth buying, from what I've seen.

S

smoke

I wish there was some kind of first person game that wasn't about killing aliens in a Utopia gone wrong.

Or WWII.

Or Oblivion.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

smoke said:
I wish there was some kind of first person game that wasn't about killing aliens in a Utopia gone wrong.

Or WWII.

Or Oblivion.
At first, I scoffed at this generalization... Then, I thought about the plots in the headline FPS games like Half-Life 2, Metroid Prime, Doom 3 (to some degree, they were looking for technology that COULD provide a utopian existence =), Fallout 3 :guts: ... what's left?! Oh yeah, Duke Nukem 3d! Hey wait a minute, Deus Ex doesn't count either.

This game looks great. I've been following it for a while, but I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to play it.

CnC

Ad Oculos

smoke said:

They aren't aliens. And what are some other examples of games where you're killing people in a Utopia gone wrong? (my brain isn't working and can't think of one).

I don't really consider Half Life 2 (a totalitarian society) or Doom 3 (military base invaded by hell) to be similar (never played Metroid Prime). at all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I don't really consider Half Life 2 (a totalitarian society)
Come on... it's a Dystopia. I can see the guy's point, in a broad manner. Still, BioShock looks really intriguing.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Come on... it's a Dystopia. I can see the guy's point, in a broad manner. Still, BioShock looks really intriguing.

Tomato Tomahtoe. Whatever. I'm not going to defend the over abundance of WWII shooters, but the complaint could also be construed (in a broad manner), "I'm sick of games where there's conflict in an interesting locale."

What would you prefer? A love story in Cleveland? Sounds fun :schierke:

...and I'm still waiting for an example of shooting people/aliens in a Utopian society...

Top Bottom