Volume 23

Hi,

The other thing worth pointing out here is that with good translations for many there's even less reason to buy the manga than before.

How many volumes of Berserk translated scans would be available, I wonder, if it hadn't been for the availability of translations by myself, Ranemaka, Eirias, Cronus and others!?

Needless to say, I am not at all happy that persons unnamed have made use of my work without my permission and without acknowledgement.

Re poverty, having been dirt poor - still am in fact - a student and coming from shores other than continental North America, I really can not sympathise with anyone that refuses to buy the manga for that reason alone. What are we talking about cost wise? No more than what it takes to see a movie, buy some take-out or 2-3 schooners, or go and see the footy. No need for a credit card either. Well, not if you buy from Acclimate Solution at any rate.

One last point, readability does not always equate with a good, that is an accurate, translation - worth remembering if you do have some of those scans people.

Namirrha

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
Aclimatesolutions.com doesn't just summarize a volume. I have them, and I can honestly say that its just a bad rumor. The translations aren't literature, and are very literal, but you can easily understand whats going on by reading them.
Hehe, this was the site I was talking about. Well, if the're any good, I might go and start looking for a creditcard. Thanks :)

edit
I just took a look at their site, but it kinda confuses me. Do you buy normal papers with text from them, or did they do it another way? This is the sentence that confused me:

Acclimate Solution Inc. will provide translation of comic books from Japanese to English..The translations will be written on the other sheets of paper, that is, we will not write on your comics.

Why the hell would they note that they won't write on my comic? Of course not, I have them!? Or do you have to buy comic + translation from them? That would be a bummer...

Also, on their first page they say $3.50 for the first 20 comics, but when I look at the catalog list, Berserk, it says $6.50 for a new one, and $4.50 for a used one. Isn't that...kinda expensive?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Also, on their first page they say $3.50 for the first 20 comics, but when I look at the catalog list, Berserk, it says $6.50 for a new one, and $4.50 for a used one. Isn't that...kinda expensive?

http://animenation.com/books-import-manga-berserk.html

:D *laughs* :D

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
http://animenation.com/books-import-manga-berserk.html

:D  *laughs*  :D
I think you misunderstand my remark/question. I thought the price was for ONLY the translation. With your comedic remark, are you saying that you get a comic + translation? That's not what I want, I only need the translations.

(The ones I bought were even cheaper.)

Guess they don't sell the translations without the comics? Hell, I'll send 'em a mail.

Hi,

No need to say anything more about the reasonableness of the prices.

The nice things about Acclimate is their shipping rates - I'd recommend SAL for the $$$ conscious. That and the fact that the second hand volumes are pretty much as new.

To the best of my knowledge the translations, which come printed out on seperate pieces of paper (about 6 sheets per volume), are available seperately.

All in all, if you're serious about buying the manga, I'd recommend Acclimate.

Namirrha

Almost forgot, if you don't have a cerdit card, or don't want to use one, Acclimate will accept an International Money Orders in $US or Yen.

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
Hi,

No need to say anything more about the reasonableness of the prices.

The nice things about Acclimate is their shipping rates - I'd recommend SAL for the $$$ conscious.  That and the fact that the second hand volumes are pretty much as new.

To the best of my knowledge the translations, which come printed out on seperate pieces of paper (about 6 sheets per volume), are available seperately.  

All in all, if you're serious about buying the manga, I'd recommend Acclimate.

Namirrha

Almost forgot, if you don't have a cerdit card, or don't want to use one, Acclimate will accept an International Money Orders in $US or Yen.
Sorry for beeing an idiot, but does an International Money Order mean you deposit money on their bank account? Or does it mean just sending money via mail? I mostly order my stuf by depositing money, or using Western Union Money Transfer, so I don't know much about other methods.

If I'm gonna do it, better gonna do it fast. At the moment the value of a Dollar is nearly the same as the value of a euro!!

Hi,

Think postal money order but international in nature. You're local post office should allow you to make one of these out for a small fee.

Hope that helps.

Namirrha

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yes aclimate solutions sells the translations seperately. Its probably worded awkwardly so people will buy both together. I only bought translations, and they come on seperate printed paper, and are stapled together for each volume.

You can go to your post office and ask for an international money order. That's it. Ask more questions if you need to.

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
Yes aclimate solutions sells the translations seperately. Its probably worded awkwardly so people will buy both together. I only bought translations, and they come on seperate printed paper, and are stapled together for each volume.

You can go to your post office and ask for an international money order. That's it. Ask more questions if you need to.
Well, here in Holland they don't now the 'litteral' (English) term "International Money Order", but does anyone know how this actually works? Do you pay the reciepent by name, or onto a bank account? If it's a bank account, It's not a problem for me. But if it's by name, it might be a problem, because these people don't know the Dutch term for "international money order". I once called my bank, and they said "Well...ummm....I guess you just send them money? I don't really know." Stupid.

Btw. What were the prices for the translations ONLY?

Thanks in advance...

extra
You said it was about 6 pages for one volume. How the hell does that fit? I've printed some of the translations from this and Ranemaka's site, and it was HARD to get 1 chapter on 1 piece of paper. Are they printed proffesionally, and use a very small font, or do they just cram it up there. Or do they...(wow)...print both sides?

thesaintofkiller

Look ! It's Femto !!!
Damn.... It all seems quite a bit complicated :-/ Well, I might go and just get myself a master card :-X (god, i never thought that day would ever come).

Than again, anybody is even remotly thinking of translating The volume 23 ??? (here, , that is http://skullknight.net/manga/).

Heh, i'll probably just ask the guy at the anime shop near me if he can import it for me. If not i'm da DOOM !!!111 :-X

Well, Eirias is planning to translate 23, much as he did with 22. Mind you, that's quite a big job so ... we'll just have to wait and see.

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
That translation looks pretty much OK to me. I guess I can live with that.

But can you please answer my other questions (or someone else)? How much did it cost for you to ONLY get the translations? And how excactly does an International Money Order work, via Bank depositing, or directly sending money?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That translation looks pretty much OK to me. I guess I can live with that.

But can you please answer my other questions (or someone else)? How much did it cost for you to ONLY get the translations? And how excactly does an International Money Order work, via Bank depositing, or directly sending money?
I will explain it as best I can.

Go to your post office and tell them you want to send an international money order made out to 'Aclimate Solutions', have their address handy. Normally, you then give them cash or a debit/credit card with whatever ammount aclimate charges you. Once you have the money order (a piece of paper that resembles a check) you then mail it to Aclimate Solutions.

Its been over a year and I honestly don't remember how much it was. But I do remember that you can just email them with your order request, and theyll give you a price. You of cource, arent obligated to pay it unless you want to continue with the order. This is the easiest way to get a price on them...

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
So in fact I PAY the post office, but they take care of the payment to A.S.?

Also, do you have to pay them in US Dollars (the post office) or can I (in my case) use euro's, and then just let them transfer it as US Dollars?

But from what I understand, you still have to send the 'real' money order to A.S. by mail? Or did you mean email it, with a code or something? (Like Western Union)
If you really have to mail it, it's about the same as just sending them Cash...though less risky.

I've just send a mail to A.S., lets wait what they say.

edit
Kinda stupid extra question, but how do you people in America call it when you just transfer money to a bank account? I can't seem to find the right English word for it. It's not 'Money Order' is it?

thesaintofkiller

Look ! It's Femto !!!
The guy at http://www.aclimatesolution.com/ actually answered me this when i asked him how much it would cost me :eek:

"Hello,

Thank you for choosing Acclimate Solution, Inc.

Our estimation:
Berserk (1-23) :$103.50
Translations :$77.50
Shipping :$78.50 for air, $62.50 for SAL, or $34.00 for sea

If you are comfortable with the estimation, please let us know. Or if you have any question, please feel free to ask us.

Simon
Acclimate Solution, Inc "

Damn, thats a lot... but damn does i feel tempted !!!!

Money could also be saved by only ordering those translations that are needed - why buy 1-3, 12-13, and 22 when theses are aailable on the web!?

Re bank transfers, to the best of my knowledge they're called bank transfers.

Re international money orders, you pay the post office in your own currency - the exact ammount will depend on the exchange rate, obviously.

Namirrha

thesaintofkiller

Look ! It's Femto !!!
Well, i havent ordered yet (but i will ;D at the end of the summer, and they will finally be MINE !!!!MINE!!!) but i was wondering if there was a better bargain elsewhere ???

Oh and just to know, i saw on amazon a Illustration File or something of Berserk by Mr. Kentaru, and i was wondering if anybody had it ??? (i mean, it's 40$ US, and well, i've only got a summer job, so me no rich, and with the possibilities of buying the whole serie, i just wanted to know if it was a worthy purchase :-/)

Thanks !

Markaveli

Peace out, homie!
Hehe, all this time I'm being such an idiot.

Just received an email from Aclimate Solutions, and Simon says (;)) that they just take normal bank deposits, so I'll do it that way. Might take a week or even longer for the money to arrive, but hell, it's a lot easier for me.

Thanks everybody for the help.

eirias

Doc lives in Kyoto, which is hot.
I'm 150 pages into the vol 23 translation. I'm working full time now, it is hot as hell, and I'm reading a lot of books and writing three scripts concurrently, so it is going a bit slower than normal. I'm also deeply bored by the Griffith bits.
When I finish, I shall post to usenet, rec.arts.manga
Not nearly as much hassle as posting something that long here.
If there are any sites hosting my translations, or scanned translations that use my translations, please tell me, so I can fire off irate and impotent emails about it. I prefer these things to be traded in email, on usenet, or on message boards like this. Not sure why, really, but I suppose it makes it feel more like personal use rather than publically available. I still intend to do this professionally.
By the way, I'm having some name trouble with new characters...what have people decided on?

blah

I love YaBB 1 Gold!
dammit... i try to order vol 23 from animaxis.com and they are out of stock... not only are they out of stock, but their distributor is out of stock... AND the producer is out too without plans to make any more without people interested....

"As for the reprinting - according to the publisher, they will not reprint the book until they receive certain amount of restock inquiries. But further information I was unable to receive from the customer support of the publisher, but at this moment they have no plans to reprint them. (and because that is the answer we received, we can only inform you that).

Many apologies for inconvenience."

:-X

BOB

poruno sutâ
Shipping            :$78.50 for air, $62.50 for SAL, or $34.00 for sea

Insane!!
I got mine (vol. 1-20) about 1 1/2 yrs ago from them and i think it was some amount beginning with 2, like 24 or 27$. Where are you from? Mars?

bakaneko

Current favorite character : Tohru Honda
Well chinese version of berserk are selling like hotcakes...i need to reserve mine(V23)before the next shipping comes in...

Top Bottom