The Walking Dead

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
I keep hearing
the prison arc
is the best part of the comic though. Too bad that won't be until season two at the very least.
You heard correctly. And indeed, I think this season will end right as they get there. It's a very clear cutting point.

This episode was full of ridiculous shit, not the least of which was "don't get any on your skin or in your eyes."

Whoops... (click)

Of course,
that didn't really matter... But they don't know that yet!

Ramen, in response to your spoilered question, there is no guy on the roof. =).

Walter said:
Ramen, in response to your spoilered question, there is no guy on the roof. =).

so the guy who got handcuffed didn't even exist in the comic? Hmm now I'm actually really curious what the comic focused on since that issue was pretty prominent in the episode.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Ramen4ever said:
so the guy who got handcuffed didn't even exist in the comic? Hmm now I'm actually really curious what the comic focused on since that issue was pretty prominent in the episode.

I'm more concerned with why the episode focused on it then. Ugh, this is why I didn't read it first, inevitable disappointment. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. That guy doesn't exist.

Griffith said:
I'm more concerned with why the episode focused on it then. Ugh, this is why I didn't read it first, inevitable disappointment. =)
Well, it sort of emphasizes how turbulent and dangerous leadership can be in these times, and it cements Rick's position as the assertive leader early on.

For those who want a synopsis if how it goes down in the comics, here's how the Walking Dead Wiki summarized Issue 2.

ISSUE 2 COMIC SPOILERS:
Rick finally makes it to Atlanta only to find it overrun with zombies. He gets thrown from the horse and as some of the zombies attack and devour the horse, others turn their attention to Rick. He uses the ax he found at the barn to protect himself, but soon gets surrounded and he begins to use his gun. Suddenly, a young man grabs Rick and tells him to follow him and to stop using the gun. They climb to a rooftop and jump from roof to roof to get close to the edge of town. The young man says that the zombies are slow and that they should easily maneuver around them. He also warns that one bite from a zombie will infect you and turn you into a zombie as well.

The two finally make it to the edge of town near a wooded area. The young man explains that everyone came to Atlanta, but people started dying and turning into zombies. In a week's time, everyone in Atlanta had died. Rick falls to the ground as he fears that his wife and son are now dead. The young man consoles Rick and tells him that he is with a small camp of people and brings him along. Just as Rick gets to the camp, he sees his wife, Lori, and his son, Carl. All three embrace, happily reunited.
As you can see, they wasted no time in Atlanta, and basically, everything in the episode was a fabrication for the TV series.

Griffith

I think we need to differentiate show spoilers from comic spoilers, as Walter did, if we're going to be discussing the intimate details of both.

Walter said:
Well, it sort of emphasizes how turbulent and dangerous leadership can be in these times, and it cements Rick's position as the assertive leader early on.

Yeah, it was good for Rick, but I got the former from his buddy back at the camp, not from that random asshole. I prefer the idea of not wasting time in Atlanta.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm not going to discuss the death of major characters in the comics here. That info is easily found elsewhere if you're interested. I'd also advise you to steer clear of big spoilers, because some of the best parts of the series are contingent on suspense.

And yes, the idea of masking scent does come up later in the comics.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
I think we need to differentiate show spoilers from comic spoilers, as Walter did, if we're going to be discussing the intimate details of both.

Yea seriously, because now I'm not sure what spoilers are okay for me to read if we are talking about the comic as well. I really don't want to ruin this :azan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No need to worry. I've simplified things by removing Weatherby's post and just PMing him. Now, all spoilers are clearly preambled. Nothing said in the thread thus far spoils anything past Issue 2, which is roughly where the show is now.

As a general rule, spoilers beyond the current scope of the TV series will not be tolerated. If CURRENT issue comics are to be discussed, they are to be properly tagged:

ISSUE 78 SPOILERS:
You really should just go buy the rest of the comic.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Watched an episode (TV series) of this tonight. Pretty fun to watch. I had no idea it was a comic though. I'm interested to see where it originated from, so I might check out the comics!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I was watching it and got about halfway then I had to stop.

I wasn't really impressed with the first half of this episode, it probably got better later on (I hope).

Griffith

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I was watching it and got about halfway then I had to stop.

I wasn't really impressed with the first half of this episode, it probably got better later on (I hope).

No, stopping was the right move.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
No, stopping was the right move.
Can't say Uncle Wally didn't warn ya!

Walter said:
I don't think this is the kind of series that will translate well to television, personally.

I actually haven't watched Episode 3 yet, but I can't say I'm anxious, given the last episode.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I thought it was ok, not great by itself but as a bridge for what is to come it was alright. I will say though, the final episodes better be outstanding or else it would have been a waste.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I will say though, the final episodes better be outstanding or else it would have been a waste.
A waste? Why? It's all character and plot development for a continuing series. Don't expect an amazing climax just because they're nearing the end of the first volume (of 13 currently). Was the end of Berserk's first volume OUTSTANDING in contrast to the rest?

The comic didn't even grab me until toward the end of volume 2. I only kept on plugging along on the promise of a friend that it got better.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
A waste? Why? It's all character and plot development for a continuing series. Don't expect an amazing climax just because they're nearing the end of the first volume (of 13 currently). Was the end of Berserk's first volume OUTSTANDING in contrast to the rest?

The comic didn't even grab me until toward the end of volume 2. I only kept on plugging along on the promise of a friend that it got better.

Well I expect some sort of climax. If they are already taking liberties with the comics I don't see why they wouldn't end the first season on a high note, even if it doesn't mirror the books all that well. I'm probably enjoying the show the most here, but even I'll admit that each episode has been less great than the last, so if the trend continues, then yea a waste ... of my time. But if the final episode is good, then all that character developmeant will have been well worth it. I don't know anything about the comics so I'm judging this as I would any other tv show, and its still better than most of everything else.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Issue 6, which ends the first volume (and very likely this season of the TV series) ends with a climax, and a relatively big shift for the character makeup in this early part of the series. But in the context of the series as a whole, it's kind of just a bump in the road.

Griffith

However it compares to the comic at the point, the bottom line for me is it's just not a very good show right now.

Not a bad episode. Though not great either.
I didn't know Norman Reedus was in this. He's probably the only actor in the show that I've actually seen before.

I thought Episode 3 was a little slow but good overall because it stepped up the character development. Previews for the next episode look pretty good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Great start, terribly bad pacing in the middle almost put me to sleep. Final scene was FANTASTIC.
Murrel got the saw but used it on HIS HAND instead of the chain, which both confirms that he escaped and gives us a clue as to his mental condition. I didn't really care about this subplot until right then.

Rick's actor continues to fail. Guy's a terrible choice.

Walter said:
Murrel got the saw but used it on HIS HAND instead of the chain, which both confirms that he escaped and gives us a clue as to his mental condition.
I guess putting the chains back on that door wasn't just pointless but also pretty difficult, with just one hand.

Just finished Episode 3. It was better than episode 2. I had a momentary chuckle when Murrel's brother was bitching about the loss of his deer-kill. (Always bugged me in the comics: How'd a zombie catch a deer?)

Olivier Hague said:
I guess putting the chains back on that door wasn't just pointless but also pretty difficult, with just one hand.
Ha. I didn't even think of that.

Anyways there was a lot less to face-palm at in this episode 3. Line delivery was pretty solid...save for, like Walter said, the actor playing Rick. So forced. I called it after the first trailer for this show came out, the accent is off. BUT, hopefully with time, he improves this. Practice makes perfect.

As far as the new story line goes:
Murrel makes his way back to the camp now and reeks havoc? Eh, maybe. The intro to this episode really had me feeling for him. Amazing really. In episode 2 he was a fucking clown and in this episode I actually wanted to stay with him and see whether or not he made it out.

No T-Dawg name drops. I like. :guts:

If episode 4 proves better than 3, I think everything will be ok.

On that note, since I dl'd this ep. off iTunes, I'm off to YouTube the preview for 4. NIGHT!

Griffith

Olivier Hague said:

Of course, since no zombies could get through, as evidenced by the fact the hand was still uneaten, why cut off your hand in the first place? Oh yeah, because the plot required it and they cut corners to get there, just like the contrivances in every episode so far... ugh.
That's what has me worried about this show long term whether the material gets better or not. This latest development is a big NOT for me.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Of course, since no zombies could get through, as evidenced by the fact the hand was still uneaten, why cut off your hand in the first place? Oh yeah, because the plot required it and they cut corners to get there, just like the contrivances in every episode so far... ugh.
That's what has me worried about this show long term whether the material gets better or not. This latest development is a big NOT for me.

Because he didn't know he was going be to be rescued? For all he knew he was going to be stuck up there until those zombies broke through the door.

Top Bottom