The Walking Dead

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinb said:
And considering that the 3rd Series has been given a longer episode count than Series 1 or Series 2 that means that we will enjoying the
Woodbury and Prison arcs
simultaneously and hopefully free of any bullshit filler.
If it's longer, shouldn't that translate to more filler?

Walter said:
If it's longer, shouldn't that translate to more filler?

Normally I would say yes to that statement but knowing that this season will be jumping back and forth between
Woodbury and The Prison
. I doubt very much that we will be seeing the amount of filler that we had to endure during series 2. I say that because the story will be switching between locations were as at the Farm we had countless episodes wasted on Lori and Carl's BS.

Just finished the first compendium, volumes 5 - 8 were amazing, and 2-4 had their own charm as well. Volume 1, I really like the artwork of it and it was a shock to see how drastic the art changed with the new illustrator. I have to admit the first few issues of volume 2 were a bit of a turn off because of the new art style, but I am long over that by now.

I already went ahead and pre ordered the second compendium on amazon, which darkhorse has listed for sale starting this October. Can't wait! Thanks again to everyone who recommended I give this series a try.

Just got an email from Amazon that the 2nd Walking Dead compendium is shipping a week early than the previously listed release date. Super excited.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Just got an email from Amazon that the 2nd Walking Dead compendium is shipping a week early than the previously listed release date. Super excited.
"Collects The Walking Dead #49-96." Right before it gets too depressing to read! :ubik: ... :magni: ... :judo:

Well I finished the 2nd compendium this morning which puts me through issue 96. Now I would like to ask all you walking dead comic vets, what are your preferred methods/formats of reading now that I have only a few issues ahead of me? Are they up to issue 106 now? Also, how often is kirkman releasing new issues? :???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
what are your preferred methods/formats of reading now that I have only a few issues ahead of me?
I buy it in a comic shop if I'm around one, or I'll purchase and download it to my Kindle Fire via Comixology. Unlike Berserk, Walking Dead isn't the kind of series I re-read. I enjoy it as it comes out, but I don't have any interest in keeping a collection or anything. When I moved recently, I didn't hesitate to recycle all my old issues.

Are they up to issue 106 now? Also, how often is kirkman releasing new issues? :???:
103 came out on Oct. 17. They're released monthly. I've been following it monthly since about 2009, and from what I remember, sometimes Kirkman's aggressive and will release one every three weeks, but it's rare. You can count on at least one a month though.

Honestly, I haven't read a single issue since 100. It was super depressing to me...
Imagine the eclipse with no rescue by SK.
I'm eager to hear your thoughts once you reach that point in the series.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Its not bad actually. I nearly dropped the show last season because it was such a bore and the kids and women were fucking annoying. But the two episodes so far this season have got rid of all that nonsense. A lot more zombies, a lot more make up effects and shit, and Rick is back to being a badass.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
It hasn't been bad so far. I'm curious to see if they're gonna go all-out with The Governor or tone him down for TV. I'm pretty mad that he doesn't look like a creepy slimeball in the TV show.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Gobolatula said:
It hasn't been bad so far. I'm curious to see if they're gonna go all-out with The Governor or tone him down for TV. I'm pretty mad that he doesn't look like a creepy slimeball in the TV show.

You mean Hispanic? :troll:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
Honestly, I haven't read a single issue since 100. It was super depressing to me...
Imagine the eclipse with no rescue by SK.
I'm eager to hear your thoughts once you reach that point in the series.
I just finished the 2nd compendium so I bought the remaining issues. Fuck me, I just got through 100. I am depressed and angry.

EDIT: Well I'm completely caught up now. I'm looking forward to seeing how Rick is going to
destroy this Negan guy and his people.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Gobolatula said:
I just finished the 2nd compendium so I bought the remaining issues. Fuck me, I just got through 100. I am depressed and angry.

EDIT: Well I'm completely caught up now. I'm looking forward to seeing how Rick is going to
destroy this Negan guy and his people.
Me too.
I can't wait till that Negan guy gets his. Poor Glenn...
:judo:

Anyhoo, I'm wondering who's been keeping up with the show. I like that they're continuing to make some deviations from the comic, which makes it very hard to predict what'll happen. :ganishka: Right now, Carl is shaping up to be my favorite character in both the comic and the adaptation for very similar reasons. What a kid! The Governor, on the other hand, isn't quite as hatable in the show; he genuinely loved his little zombie kid, and seems almost tortured and conflicted as opposed to
pure villainy. It's almost as if the writers are using Penny's death as the catalyst for his descent into the "real" Governor personality, which cheapens the effect a little. I liked it when he was just a horrible bastard because... well, because! :ubik:

What does everyone else think?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I stopped watching the show at Episode 1 of Season 2. I just didn't like the direction they were going with some of the characters--Rick in particular. Speaking of which, now that you and Gobs have caught up with the comics (congrats, btw!), what do you think of the difference between Rick on the show and Rick in the comics?

Grail said:
The Governor, on the other hand, isn't quite as hatable in the show; he genuinely loved his little zombie kid, and seems almost tortured and conflicted as opposed to
pure villainy. It's almost as if the writers are using Penny's death as the catalyst for his descent into the "real" Governor personality, which cheapens the effect a little. I liked it when he was just a horrible bastard because... well, because! :ubik:

What does everyone else think?
Just judging from what you said here, it sounds like they're adding needless drama. The Governor doesn't need to feel conflicted for him to be an interesting character.

In other news, the Walking Dead game by Telltale is pretty decent. I'm at the last episode now. It's hardly a game though. It's more of an interactive story, but it's plotted pretty well and has some believable characters. There are some rumblings among gaming press saying it's a game of the year contender. I don't personally think so, but it does seem to have a very strong following.

I've been watching and reading the series for about a year now, and I'm currently caught up with the episodes and latest comic chapter. I think the comic is still going strong with the reveal of the next villian of the series, and I am curious to see where they go from here. I do enjoy the TV show and while it isn't quite as good as it's source, I like the changes they've made and even like a few of the characters better then the comic book.

Man-o-man, I just finished reading episodes 105 and 106. The thing in 106 with Mark is probably the most disgusting thing I can remember reading in the series..... Really enjoyed these last two episodes.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Jaze1618 said:
Man-o-man, I just finished reading episodes 105 and 106. The thing in 106 with Mark is probably the most disgusting thing I can remember reading in the series..... Really enjoyed these last two episodes.
I don't know if it's the worst thing in the series, but it's definitely up there.

Just read the new issue yesterday, I don't think I want to find out what happens next... :magni:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I really liked how this episode started off.
It's been a pretty interesting second half of the season so far... and bad for my nerves. :judo: (
Poor Axel!
)

I'm not sure how I feel about Rick
going cuckoo for Coco Puffs over Lori's death
. In the comic, his reaction felt a bit more realistic. On that note, I missed your question from a while back, sorry Walter!

Walter said:
now that you and Gobs have caught up with the comics (congrats, btw!), what do you think of the difference between Rick on the show and Rick in the comics?
Rick is a tough character for me. I'm not the guy's #1 fan in either the comic or the TV series, but for different reasons. I do love how he's developed over the course of the comic, though,
since he's willing to do some pretty awful stuff to some pretty awful people people.
Despite that, he does tend to wax philosophical, which can be tough to read through (maybe it's the font?) TV Rick hasn't really had the opportunity to do some really morally ambiguous stuff yet, and it feels like he's been overshadowed by characters like Shane, Daryl, and Michonne. I hope that the writers will give him the chance to get really nuts, and in a good way! :guts:

Walter said:
In other news, the Walking Dead game by Telltale is pretty decent. I'm at the last episode now. It's hardly a game though. It's more of an interactive story, but it's plotted pretty well and has some believable characters. There are some rumblings among gaming press saying it's a game of the year contender. I don't personally think so, but it does seem to have a very strong following.
I can honestly say that, Game of the Year or not, I was probably more engaged with that story than I have been with any other game since I was about 15. I finished the whole thing over the space of maybe a week, and after every session I was physically tired... and don't even get me started about the end of that game. To quote Lee, "JEEEE-sus!" :azan: I can't wait for the second part... it's going to make me even more sick, and it's gonna be great. They really captured the spirit of the comic, in my opinion.

Speaking of the comic, has anybody read the latest issue yet?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Grail said:
Rick is a tough character for me. I'm not the guy's #1 fan in either the comic or the TV series ... Despite that, he does tend to wax philosophical, which can be tough to read through (maybe it's the font?)
No, it's not just you. When Kirkman climbs on his soapbox through his characters, it can be cringe inducing. Often it feels forced, unnatural. It's just a matter of Kirkman being a good scenario guy, but not the most skilled guy to be writing the dialogue that goes along with those scenarios. It often feels like stuff he wrote in a first draft without considering it very much.

I can honestly say that, Game of the Year or not, I was probably more engaged with that story than I have been with any other game since I was about 15. I finished the whole thing over the space of maybe a week, and after every session I was physically tired... and don't even get me started about the end of that game. To quote Lee, "JEEEE-sus!" :azan:
Playing that much in such a short span... I can't imagine. It is indeed pretty emotionally grueling. Perhaps a little too much at times. Like the game had its hands around our heartstrings and pulled at them just because it COULD and not necessarily when it SHOULD, I felt.

I can't wait for the second part... it's going to make me even more sick, and it's gonna be great. They really captured the spirit of the comic, in my opinion.
Agreed.

Speaking of the comic, has anybody read the latest issue yet?
Not yet, I'm about 6 issues behind at this point I think.

Top Bottom