Unemployed man requests jail time, robs bank

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/12/robber.retirement.ap/index.html

[quote author=CNN]
A man who couldn't find steady work came up with a plan to make it through the next few years until he could collect Social Security: He robbed a bank, then handed the money to a guard and waited for police.
[/quote]

Pretty pathetic of the guy... though it makes for a funny story.

Sad and funny at the same time, now that is something rare...
I wander if he took into account that he'd probably get probated in a couple of months? Kinda messes with the whole financial plan.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
vlad said:
Sad and funny at the same time, now that is something rare...
I wander if he took into account that he'd probably get probated in a couple of months? Kinda messes with the whole financial plan.
Yeah, seriously. this guy's prostituting himself so he can get 3 meals a day. Then again... maybe it beats being a janitor?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, I had this exact idea when I was a kid, right down to the phony bank robbery just to get busted. It's even better if you've got a major illness, no health insurance, and you do it in a state with great prison healthcare. You can literally get the best treatment in the world for anything for free. =)

Uhh, not that I've put a lot of thought into this.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
To me the worst about this story is that I can definitely understand the guy's reasoning. And it says a lot about his conditions of life.

Haha, I didn't think I would ever see anything like that outside of a mad cartoon, literally. There was a Ren and Stimpy Episode where almost the same thing happens; their house gets repossessed, so the spend the whole episode trying to get into prison by doing pretty much exactly what this old guy did among a few other things. What a guy.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
A sad situation, poor old guy. But at least he'll be eating for a while and have somewhere to sleep.

Am I the only one who thought he went in with a mask and actually robbed the place? Funny that he got an envelope with some twenties, and then just gave it to the guard.

Top Bottom