Episode 203

Hi,

Now that I think about it, the existence of some form of active spell casting system in the Berserk universe should have pointed out right away that magical (extraordinary) weapons/items - other than beherit - were not too far around the corner.

Like many others, I'm sure, I can't help but feel a little uneasy at some of the recent developments. Ah well! I'm not giving up on Miura yet.

Namirrha

Now that I think about it, the existence of some form of active spell casting system in the Berserk universe should have pointed out right away that magical (extraordinary) weapons/items - other than beherit - were not too far around the corner.
Fairy powder (volume 1), weird stuff (end of volume 1 and beginning of volume 2), crystal ball (volume 12), falcon idol (volume 20).
Like many others, I'm sure, I can't help but feel a little uneasy at some of the recent developments.
I didn't expect the enchanted weapons. ^^;
But I don't really mind.

Rellik

The devil is insides us all.
Even though some of his companions may be very good at fighting( Serpico, for example ), they'd be unable to hurt Apostles with their normal weapons.
As a result, any Apostle fights would involve everyone watching Guts fight by himself.

Now though, they'll be able to play an active role in future battles. And I know i'm looking forward to seeing Guts and Serpico fighting Apostles side by side.

Yep I had a feeling this would happen because of that reason. Also remember griffith power much exceeds Zodd, so gattz can't beat griffith by himself. (if he beats him at all)
You guys are flipping out a little early maybe these weapons' names are shallow, and the apostles and other non-human characters can be hurt by them (because most apostles weren't hurt by regular weapons unless struck in the head) ... hopefully

I don't know - I just think it seems really really silly.  I mean if the weapons are simply symbolic or just called the Sword of Wind or whatever, that's fine.  The DragonSlayer was cool simply because it was a BIG freakin' sword and Guts is the only guy who can use it.  Having these 'magic' weapons come out of left field seems like a big cop out, but I've been apprehensive of what Miura is doing in several points of the story, but they pretty much worked out.  
But since the Skull Knight appeared again, well...I'm willing to wait on passing judgement.  ;D

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness
And then, they're all given enchanted weapons how I said otherwhere, none know like yet what these "enchanted" weapons will really do. We have not seen yet Serpico produce a gale with his sword or Isidoro become the human torch. They could be simply a little more effective in battle than a normal weapon and after a little while, once we grow accostumed to them we could not even notice.

Schierke looks at the Dragon Slayer, and thinks to herself "hum? that sword...?" (huh? ^^;;).
sure it is big : that could be the end of the thought of Schierke. She did not say :"It is magical".

The real issue is not the "magical weapons" at all but the fact  that since n. 189 NONE USE THEM ANYMORE

sure it is big : that could be the end of the thought of Schierke.
And she notices that _now_? She saw Guts actually using it to fight the Golems, the day before, didn't she? And it's not like he's been hiding it since then either.

The real issue is not the "magical weapons" at all but the fact  that since n. 189 NONE USE THEM ANYMORE
Use what?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Roberto is trying to say: "Before Chapter 189, there were no magical weapons."

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Ooooookay?
:eek:
I am seriously going to wait for a bit before I say anything about the current story arch...

But... I'll be trusting Miura. Like always

*fishbomb on vacation*

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
FISHBOMB LIVES!!! :eek:

...but she already left again, oh well. :)

-Griffith

P.S. And I think roberto is actually complaining about the lack of action since 189, which makes no sense to me since 191 through 193 had all out scenes of war.

Schierke weakens the brand's power for the battle against the Trolls.

After that, ghe gives Guts and the others magical equipment, protected by spirits, so that they'll be able to fight the Trolls without using spells.
The four states of the physical world/utsushiyo (solid, liquid, energy and gas) all resonate according to the Elementals of the astral world/kakuryo (symbolized by Earth, Water, Fire and Air).
Schierke gives Serpico a hood and a sword inhabited by Sylphe, the Air Elemental. The hood would protect him against swords and arrows, and the sword would allow him to create whirlwinds and to tear his enemies' flesh without even touching them (Serpico tries the sword on a candle: it works).
She gives Isidro a (pair of? I can't tell) dagger(s) inhabited by Salamander, the Fire Elemental (you can guess what it does, right?) and sacred berries to repel the Trolls (we already saw that in episode 198).
Casca and Farnese get silver chain mails. Farnese also gets one or several ('can't tell) silver knives. Silver has evil-repelling properties.
The power of these items comes from the Elementals, not from the bearer. The more you believe in the Elemental and trust it, and the more the Elemental itself trusts you, the more powerful the item will be.

Like I said in my first post, Guts doesn't want the axe(s?) he's given: he's used to his Dragon Slayer. As he's leaving, Schierke senses something strange about Guts' sword.

As they're all leaving, Serpico wonders why this place isn't colder (it's Winter), and Isidro notices that his wounds and bruises have all disappeared.
Schierke explains that Flora's house is actually located in the astral world/kakuryo. Most wounds heal rather quickly around here.
The interstice spreads over two worlds: the physical world/utsushiyo and the astral world/kakuryo. Branded people stand in the physical part of the interstice, witches reside in the astral one.
In the astral world, the restrictions of the material world are negligible, so if you stay there long enough, it gets easier to control matter by the force of your spirit.

Schierke asks Guts if he'd like to leave Casca here, but Guts doesn't want to. Even if this place appears to be safe, there's no way to tell it will always be. He wants Casca to be by his side, so that he can protect her himself. Flora says that it's wise, as it will probably save him as well.

As they leave, Guts looks behind them, and sees another silhouette with Flora...

Flora tells the Skull Knight she was surprised when he asked her this favor. That's not in his habits. "Is that because fellow sufferers pity one another? I want to believe you still haven't lost your humanity, my old friend..."

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
WOW.

Although having weapons inhabited by elemental spirits is more old-skool fantasy than ever, I like it better than the idea of the stuff simply being “magic” or “enchanted”. It makes working sense with the whole Physical/Astral dynamic of Berserk, it fits for me, I’m sure others will disagree mightily. ;)

Like I said in my first post, Guts doesn't want the axe(s?) he's given: he's used to his Dragon Slayer. As he's leaving, Schierke senses something strange about Guts' sword.
Cool. I like your theory about it being inhabited by Godo’s spirit.  Conversely, The only other thing I can think of is that it’s inhabited by the Beast (or something like that, I mean, bathing it in the blood of Apostles and Ghouls is bound to give it bad karma =). It makes a lot of sense since the Dragon Slayer is the core symbol and mainstay for the life Guts has led as the Black Swordsman.

In the astral world, the restrictions of the material world are negligible, so if you stay there long enough, it gets easier to control matter by the force of your spirit.
This could explain a lot about the insane power of Skully and Zoddo, I guess it also means Guts is getting more powerful as he goes along as well.  I just pray he doesn’t start moving in “bullet time.” :)

He wants Casca to be by his side, so that he can protect her himself. Flora says that it's wise, as it will probably save him as well.
Who’s going to save her from Guts?

As they leave, Guts looks behind them, and sees another silhouette with Flora...

Flora tells the Skull Knight she was surprised when he asked her this favor. That's not in his habits. "Is that because fellow sufferers pity one another? I want to believe you still haven't lost your humanity, my old friend..."
Now this is a milestone!  The only person besides Zoddo to speak knowledgably of Skull Knight’s character. That one line confirms so many theories, beautiful. It would be great to eavesdrop on a lenghthy conversation between those two...

Flora: "Hey Skully, remember the time we drank all that fairy gin and fooled around?"

Skull Knight: "Yeah, you certainly are an astral whore, Flo."

Flora: "Hey, you’re the one that had a big ol’ kukuryo hard on for me!"

Skull Knight: "Screw kukuryo, that night was all about BUKKAKE!"

Both: "Hahahahahaha!!"

Maybe next chapter...yeah right.

-Griffith

P.S. Thanks Olivier.

CnC

Ad Oculos
well whatever reservations i was feeling about this chapter have gone... i like it now.

plus to fight griffith's army... they're gonna need some magic :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot to mention that Flora offers the Skull Knight _tea_.
Here's a new riddle for Berserk fans: can the Skull Knight drink tea?

Well, we know he likes spaghetti:

skullyspaghetti.gif

roberto999

Since Guts refused to update he is now the weakest member of the party :D
Ps about the tea I hope it is a joke

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider

This is cool.
*scene where cloud sees tiny bronco for the first time*

No wait.

This...IS COOL.

And I still want the scene with Lucca to have meaning!
I insist!!
I'm not crazy!!!
:D

puella

Berserk forever
Schierke asks Guts if he'd like to leave Casca here, but Guts doesn't want to. Even if this place appears to be safe, there's no way to tell it will always be. He wants Casca to be by his side, so that he can protect her himself. Flora says that it's wise, as it will probably save him as well.
well, I can't understand. Guts says "I want Caska to be by my side so that I can protect her myself". then what's Elfheim? ::)

***I didn't expect their way to Elfheim takes time so much.

roberto999

well, I can't understand. Guts says "I want Caska to be by my side so that I can protect her myself". then what's Elfheim? ::)

Ehmm Guts has already shown in the past what he means with "protecting her". Why do you think she hides behind Farnese when he looks at her?

They may be talking about _now_. They're just leaving to fight the Trolls, remember?

But it looks like Guts doesn't really know what to do when they'll be in Elfhelm... For now, he just wants Casca to be safe (and not locked somewhere either), so Elfhelm seems to be a good idea. But after that...

Their journey is almost over, actually (on land, anyway): when they'll be done with the Troll stuff, all they'll have to do is to get to Vritannis (and it's not that far, it seems) and get a boat.
Of course, a lot of things may happen in the meantime...

Top Bottom