Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is dedicated to discussing the manga for those following the Dark Horse releases. No spoiler about later events is tolerated and if any spoiler is made intentionally it will be severely reprimanded. It's also about the story in the manga and not the release dates or pace, there are threads for that in other sections already.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I've already read up to the current episode in Berserk, but I'm still following the Dark Horse releases (finally got around to reading Vol. 7 and I've got Vol. 8 coming to me in the mail). So far I've noticed a few translation errors, but their releases are pretty good, IMHO. Luckily I haven't had to put up with any of the weird double-episodes in a couple of the volumes...although I have noticed pages cut off a little at the edge, but it's no biggie since you can still read what's being said. Has anyone here not seen the anime series?

I need to hurry up and get me some more volumes of this... I'm anixous to see what the first battle between Zodd and Guts is like in the manga... Also what volume does the eclipse take place in 13? 14?.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Zelz said:
Also what volume does the eclipse take place in 13? 14?

Starts in 12, ends in 13. This thread is supposed not to refer to future events though, so let's be careful not to give away too many things. Like Rhombaad suggested, it's entirely possible that some people haven't watched the anime.

Oh alright sorry about that, I didnt realize that.. I'll only discuss things that have been released by Dark Horse then.

R

-rob-

Rhombaad said:
I've already read up to the current episode in Berserk, but I'm still following the Dark Horse.

Me too...

Does anyone know the fastest place to order DarkHorse volumes? Because most of them I just got in Winter Park (400 miles away from where I currently am)... And when I ordered volume 8 off of Ebay it took 5 WEEKS!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
-rob- said:
Me too...

Does anyone know the fastest place to order DarkHorse volumes? Because most of them I just got in Winter Park (400 miles away from where I currently am)... And when I ordered volume 8 off of Ebay it took 5 WEEKS!
Amazon would be my best guess.

CnC

Ad Oculos
I've seen them at the only real comic shop in our town. And this place is shitsville for eclectic items. So I'd imagine it'd be in your local comic store as well

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
-rob- said:
Me too...

I ordered mine straight from the company that Dark Horse sells their products through (Things From Another World). You can get to it by purchasing the volumes off of www.darkhorse.com. It only took them about 2 days to get it to my apartment. Everyone else has suggested good places to look, too. I gave up on Borders and Barnes and Noble long ago and so far TFAW is working just fine. :void:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
handsome rakshas said:
Volume 9 out today. From reading through it for the first time I must say it is amazing. Amazing fight scenes and two sex scenes! :carcus:
Sweet, thanks for the info, handsome rakshas! I shall order mine post-haste! For those of you who don't know what's coming, you're in for a treat. :guts:

Like someone already said Amazon.com is a great place to get them, thats where I order from and they arrive a few days after I place the order, nice and fast :D. Only around 10 bucks a volume too.

Hatter

Just picked up Vol. 9, finally!
Wow. I think this volume has more sex scenes than all of the previous ones combined. :p

This is the volume where it all goes to hell, though. I sometimes almost wish that the series had ended at Vol. 8 and omitted the Black Swordsman stuff... at least the characters would have a happy ending.

I have to say I enjoyed the Griffith stuff more than Guts' fight against Silat. The ambush on the Hawks was shocking - I wasn't expecting it to happen so soon. Also, I had known about Guts being gone for one year, but I didn't think they'd skip over it like they did. I only realized that it had skipped ahead after I'd read the Tournament.

The intro of the Skull Knight was pretty cool, although I'm suprised that DMP kept the straight translation, Knight of Skeleton. Kinda awkward, but I'm not really complaining.

I liked the tender stuff between Guts & Casca, and it was really interesting to see him open up emotionally like that - even crying.

I gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the torture stuff. It really put me off in the first few volumes, which was why I enjoyed these last few volumes so much. But I guess I have to take the horror alongside the intrigue.
And Griffith lost his behelit? Hmm, should be interesting to see how/if he gets it back...

One other thing:

The cover art for Vol. 9 isn't that great. The zoomed-in idea kinda works in theory, but it looks like they didn't get a very high-res image to work with. It's rather blurry.

I noticed, though, that the new editions of the first two volumes had finally used higher-quality images for the covers. They're much sharper and cleaner now. Glad they fixed that, finally.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Ah, I remember what it was like to be in that volume for the first time. Ah, the fond memories.

And rest assured. It keeps getting better.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hatter said:
This is the volume where it all goes to hell, though. I sometimes almost wish that the series had ended at Vol. 8 and omitted the Black Swordsman stuff... at least the characters would have a happy ending.

Well happy... Not really. Casca, Griffith, and even Guts (though he didn't realize it at first)... In the end the closure of volume 8 is pretty hard on them.

Hatter said:
The intro of the Skull Knight was pretty cool, although I'm suprised that DMP kept the straight translation, Knight of Skeleton. Kinda awkward, but I'm not really complaining.

That's not the straight translation you know, it's just incorrect. 髑髏 (dokuro) means "skull", so word by word it's "Knight of Skull".

Hatter said:
The cover art for Vol. 9 isn't that great. The zoomed-in idea kinda works in theory, but it looks like they didn't get a very high-res image to work with. It's rather blurry.

Hmm, it looks good on my volumes (Japanese & Korean), not blurry at all, so I think you're right about Dark Horse using a low resolution image.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
That's not the straight translation you know, it's just incorrect. 髑髏 (dokuro) means "skull", so word by word it's "Knight of Skull".
Hmmm, perhaps Dark Horse thought the word "skull" implied "skeleton." Oh well. Time to change the name of the site. :SK: Just kidding.

Aazealh said:
Hmm, it looks good on my volumes (Japanese & Korean), not blurry at all, so I think you're right about Dark Horse using a low resolution image.
Damnit, I thought Dark Horse was learning from their mistakes. Maybe it's just several hundred volumes and not all of 'em. Maybe. :griff:

Actually, it is where it all begins.... I however like the stuff during and after the Black Swordsman era better than before it, although I have only seen the anime and read volume 1 of the manga I know some of what happens from just reading around the site, and other places,(I wont spoil anything of course) and I can not wait for Dark Horse to release up to around the later half of the volumes... some awesome stuff and characters come in.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Zelz said:
Actually, it is where it all begins.... I however like the stuff during and after the Black Swordsman era better than before it, although I have only seen the anime and read volume 1 of the manga I know some of what happens from just reading around the site, and other places,(I wont spoil anything of course) and I can not wait for Dark Horse to release up to around the later half of the volumes... some awesome stuff and characters come in.
(If anyone's wondered about my surge in posting, it's 'cause I have a lot of free time tonight, hehe :badbone:)
I agree, I love the Golden Age arc mainly 'cause that's what I was first exposed to in the form of the anime (although I enjoy the original version much more :void:).

Haven't bought volume 9 yet, but is there anything else notable in how DarkHorse translated some things (Like Silat's character, the 2nd love scene's dialogue)?

R

-rob-

If anyone notices any translation errors please post them... I haven't got my copy yet I ordered it though it should be coming soon. :SK:

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
Well, I ran out to my local Borders today and picked up Volume 9, got home, got comfortable, and read it cover to cover. All I can say is HOLY FRICKIN CRAP!!!!! I knew the anime left a lot out of the storyline, but there were things happening in volume nine that I never would have imagined, as well as the actual characters that were replaced by the anime. I dont wanna spoil anything for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but I loved it. Guts is such a badass. And I definately have a new found appreciation for Silat. Hey, if you haven't done so already, do yourself a favor and read volume 9. And so the countdown begins for Volume 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom