Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Awesome. Just placed an order today :)

I dont enjoy reading at the PC, so I try to stay close to the DH releases as possible. Yes, im aware they change some (small) things, but the fact that you are holding it in your hands.. its just much more satisfactory then seeing it on a monitor.

but, alas Berserk is too tempting, so I've read scans of up to vol 14. I try to stick somewhat close to the DH releases :)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Just went to my local comic shop and they just got it in today! I just flipped through it and it looks fantastic (scary man on last few pages!). I will talk more about it later. Just wanted to let everyone know that its out! :guts:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:
Hahah, a scary man eh? His name is Wyald. :zodd: You can look forward to volume 11 already (although 10 is very good).

I know his name and all the bad things he does in the future!  :guts:
I'm just scared about posting too much because I have a bad problem with giving away spoilers.(although I realize saying his name is not a spoiler) I have read all the volumes with him but it was so long ago. Reading these volumes from Dark Horse is like enjoying them for the first time (at least for me).

Thank you for being helpful though, Aaz

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Sweet, time to place an order for my own copy. This is a great release for those who have only seen the anime before reading the DH releases due to the new...or rather, better scenes found in this volume. I feel for those who have to wait for the next release. My thoughts are with you. :SK:

SMZKAH

I shall find the crystal of peace
You got me all excited Handsome, so I called up my local Borders. Still no dice. All they can tell me is that they have two on order and they don't know when they should get them. And to think, I started buying from Borders to get each volume sooner! :zodd:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
SMZKAH said:
You got me all excited Handsome, so I called up my local Borders. Still no dice. All they can tell me is that they have two on order and they don't know when they should get them. And to think, I started buying from Borders to get each volume sooner! :zodd:

Yeah, I went to Borders and they still have it listed for "January 2006" (Even though January is about to end) A lot of places still have the release date set for the 25th. Try going to comic shops if you have any around your area. Book stores have been pissing me off lately with their manga release dates.

And the volume itself is marvelous. The humor is the best thus far, not what I thought considering this is the volume where they rescue Grif and find him in bad shape. The whole fight with the Bakiraka is amazing! (Judo is such a badass!)
And the dialogue between Guts and Casca is so cute! :guts: :???:

SMZKAH

Alright, well I called up my nearest local comic book store, and they claimed they never sell Berserk. (Funny, a friend of mine bought his first 9 volumes from them). Anyway, I didn't give up hope and I called another local comic book store. They said they just got it in today, so they're holding it for me for tomorrow. (They closed at 7, there was no way I could make it tonight) So it looks like I only have to wait until a little bit past 4 tomorrow.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
handsome rakshas said:
And the dialogue between Guts and Casca is so cute! :guts: :???:

I'm curious, after Casca hops onto the horse and yelps in pain from their lovin' the episode before, what does she think when she looks at Guts? I'm wondering how DH translated that. Thanks Handsome!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I'm curious, after Casca hops onto the horse and yelps in pain from their lovin' the episode before, what does she think when she looks at Guts?

In the context the original (ずるい) means something like "wily, crafty, sly, cunning" in case you're interested. It refers to the fact Guts is acting like they didn't have sex, basically. The word can usually be interpreted in a lot of ways depending on the situation.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
In the context the original (ずるい) means something like "wily, crafty, sly, cunning" in case you're interested. It refers to the fact Guts is acting like they didn't have sex, basically. The word can usually be interpreted in a lot of ways depending on the situation.

Right on, thanks Aaz (and Puella :serpico:)!

SMZKAH

Yes, I got it today! It's definitely the best so far (I know, I know, Just wait until volume 11). Yeah, I liked the little bits of humor that were spread throughout. I like how the last page of Sparks from a sword tip has the beherit floating in the river... we all know where that's goin. At the beginning of Infiltrating Windam, I couldn't stop thinking about the outtakes from the anime for that series of pictures, so that was a little humorous for me. In all seriousness, I really enjoyed all the things that weren't in the anime, Midland's history (and the associated pictures), the extra members of the rescue team, both battles during the escape (Judeau is such a badass, and Pippin is a quick thinker too). Boy, the torturer sure does go into detail about his year with griffith; also, I think griffith looks much worse in the manga than in the anime, he seems more scarred and beaten. Yeah, I'd have to agree that Wyald is indeed a scary man; I can't wait for the fight. Oh yeah, guts and casca are really cute together throughout the entire volume; although casca is still very much attached to griffith and even guts admits that he is too. Great volume!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SMZKAH said:
I think griffith looks much worse in the manga than in the anime, he seems more scarred and beaten.

Yes, he does. Although his face is never really shown, in some panels you can clearly see that it's in a bad state. The anime has none of that.

SMZKAH said:
Oh yeah, guts and casca are really cute together throughout the entire volume; although casca is still very much attached to griffith and even guts admits that he is too.

Well, their lives revolved around Griffith for several years, you can't blame them for their reactions (especially after what happened to him).

Aazealh said:
The anime has none of that.

The anime was criminal in leaving out some of the most intriguing scenes in this volume. I love the torch scene in the tower in Episode 53, and Skull Knight's appearance in Ep 52 is just wonderful. Can't wait to pick this up.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Rhombaad said:
I'm curious, after Casca hops onto the horse and yelps in pain from their lovin' the episode before, what does  she think when she looks at Guts? 

she think " lucky" while looking at guts who dont have any pain!

i loved that volume and i got really curious with the dead branded people down the hole. i hope to know more on the subject.. and the gaseiric part was sweet too! now im more confuse with the speculations... can skullknight be gaseiric?! anyway great volume and i cant wait for the next one! i heard a lot about it! ooooh im excited! :guts:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
jackson_hurley said:
she think " lucky" while looking at guts who dont have any pain!

i loved that volume and i got really curious with the dead branded people down the hole. i hope to know more on the subject.

I hate to disappoint you, but not much information has been discovered about what occurred in the tower and why there are so many corpses with the sacrificial brand. Some light is shed on what occurred, but that takes place several volumes from now and I ain't spoiling anything.

jackson_hurley said:
now im more confuse with the speculations... can skullknight be gaseiric?!

Run a search on it and I'm positive you'll come across some threads on the board that speculate on Gaiseric and Skull Knight. Happy hunting. :serpico:

jackson_hurley

Rhombaad said:
Run a search on it and I'm positive you'll come across some threads on the board that speculate on Gaiseric and Skull Knight. 

thx man! but i allready read a couple of threads about these two (i dont post often but i read here a lot) i just didnt want to spoil in this thread! haha anyway thx for the info! i'll re-read them just in case i miss something and sorry about the bad spelling for gaiseric i wasnt sure at all how to write it! :judo:

jackson_hurley

i've notice in the dark horse release that the lettering for the skullknight is the same as the apostle... i wonder why?!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
i've notice in the dark horse release that the lettering for the skullknight is the same as the apostle... i wonder why?!

Because their voices are otherworldly, so a different font is used to distinguish them from "normal" ones. It's not specific to the Dark Horse edition (see the transformed Zodd in volume 5 or Ganishka in his mist form in volume 27 in the Japanese volumes for example).

jackson_hurley

Aazealh said:
Because their voices are otherworldly, so a different font is used to distinguish them from "normal" ones. It's not specific to the Dark Horse edition (see the transformed Zodd in volume 5 or Ganishka in his mist form in volume 27 in the Japanese volumes for example).
okay thanx for the clarification! :SK:

I read the volume last night. I wish those soldiers wouldn't have come as fast as they could so Guts could torture that guy a bit longer. I felt really bad for Griffith when I saw him in that state. I also liked how they focused on Griffith after certain events happen like when he does that evil glare when watching Casca wipe off all the blood from Guts. I also felt sad for him when Charlotte tried to kiss him and he opened his mouth like he wanted to but she couldn't, I guess.

All of the things Griffith sees while being carried around, I think, just made do what he does in volume 12-13. He sees everyone doing things he wish he could do. He begins to hate them, especially Guts, because he blames him for all of it.

I also think Casca never really stopped loving Griffith and it's shown a lot in the volume. It kind of makes you wonder if Casca really did .. hmm, well. I can't seem to find the spoiler tag so I'll stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom