Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell Me Why said:
I also felt sad for him when Charlotte tried to kiss him and he opened his mouth like he wanted to but she couldn't, I guess.
I actually think it was his attempt to speak, as he had tried earlier. But since he was without tongue, he was unable.

And, uhhh, I guess this has SPOILERS (Light blue color, highlight to read)

All of the things Griffith sees while being carried around, I think, just made do what he does in volume 12-13. He sees everyone doing things he wish he could do. He begins to hate them, especially Guts, because he blames him for all of it.
While that certainly plays a part in it, I don't think that was the only basis for Griffith's ultimate decision. That's really quite shallow, if you consider it.
Being in Griffith's current state of emaciation, not only could he not defend himself (from Wyald), but he could no longer lead the Hawks. He could no longer accomplish his dream.
As he is shown later, if he had continued as he was, his life would be very quiet and practically void of all meaning.
How could he possibly continue?

And he certainly blamed Guts for something, but I love this excerpt from a very old (and reliable ;)) translation:
Volume 12:
Griffith: "...Yes.
Out of thousands of comrades and ten thousand enemies
only you, only you
only you
Made me forget my dream."

I also think Casca never really stopped loving Griffith and it's shown a lot in the volume. It kind of makes you wonder if Casca really did .. hmm, well. I can't seem to find the spoiler tag so I'll stop there.
If Casca really did.... what?

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
I just finished reading Vol. 10 and I thought it was absolutly fantastic. SO many things were shown that were left out of the anime, and it was all great. Since reading the last 2 Dark Horse releases, the anime is beginning to seem less and less good. The manga is friggin amazing.

I thought, while seeing Griffith in his state was sad and he was much more fucked up, at parts he still seemed alot more composed then he did in the anime at that point. At certain points, like when Pippin said how Griffith showed him the light coming from the ceiling, he gave a slight, proud smile. I also liked how in love Charlotte was with him, despite his horrific condition. The first chance she got she latched herself onto him and burried her face in his shoulder. He sure knows how to win over the ladies. When Charlotte grabbed onto him after getting shot with the poison dart, he had a very, "yeah, I'm the man" look on his face. Or maybe I'm imagining that.

Speaking of which, I too am kind of confused by that scene.. when she goes to kiss him or whatever and it shows the four images of his mouth.. and then she turns away without kissing him. Not really sure what that all meant.

And Judeau is the fucking man.

Overall, awesome, awesome volume. I think so far this has been the most enjoyable of Dark Horse's releases. So much stuff went down.. so much important, non-anime stuff. I will be going to bed with berserk on my mind for many nights to come.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarkDragoon said:
Speaking of which, I too am kind of confused by that scene.. when she goes to kiss him or whatever and it shows the four images of his mouth.. and then she turns away without kissing him. Not really sure what that all meant.

She doesn't try to kiss him, she's just clinging to him because she doesn't want them to be separated. Griffith has no tongue so he can't speak, but he mutely articulates something to her. We're not told what it is on purpose, but she understands and resigns herself to let him go while she's brought back to the castle to be cured. SPOILER: Charlotte will actually reveal to the reader what Griffith told her (or at least what she interpreted out of it) in volume 11.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Aazealh said:
She doesn't try to kiss him, she's just clinging to him because she doesn't want them to be separated. Griffith has no tongue so he can't speak, but he mutely articulates something to her. We're not told what it is on purpose, but she understands and resigns herself to let him go while she's brought back to the castle to be cured. SPOILER
Ah, thanks Aazealh. That clears it up.

Damn, volume 11... it seems so far away.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I got my volume a couple days ago, and I'm pleased with the release. The printing seemed better then the other volumes, much more clear. Plus non of the page numbers were cut off!! (at least, none on mine).

I enjoy this volume. I love how furious guts gets when he sees the torturer, and what he did to his tongue. Gotta love that line "Your not getting into heaven double-tongued.. Oh forget it, your breath reeks too much. Your going to hell."

Anyways, I thought DH did a good job. I'm not sure on the accuracy of the translation since I only read the DH translations, but it seemed good to me.

still pondering about the bodies with the brand at the bottom of the hole.. That picture sent a shiver down my spine.

Damn, volume 11... it seems so far away.
Man I completely agree. The battle with Wyald should be interesting :guts:

Kagami

Goo!
IsolatioN said:
Anyways, I thought DH did a good job. I'm not sure on the accuracy of the translation since I only read the DH translations, but it seemed good to me.

I like how they translate everything they work on. It may not be word for word what they actually say, but they seem to get the "feel" dead on. I really like the Mugen no Junin translation too.

Kagami said:
I really like the Mugen no Junin translation too.
I really think that's the best I've read.
Everything sounds totally natural, not a stiff translation. It feels very much like it was written in English originally.

I can't say too much about their work on Berserk thus far (and I realise it's a different team of translators), as I've only just gotten the 2nd volume (a little behind, I know), but from what I've read so far - in the mangas and on these boards - it's no BotI.

I'll wait till 12 and 13 before I totally trash them. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
While so far I've found the DH releases to be generally spot-on, (They still spell Kentarou wrong though...) there is the problem of their marketing department... On the back of each volume reads one of these, with slight variations for each volume, of course. I've bolded my favorites from each entry.

Vol 8:
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is medieval manga mania at its bloodstained best, a volatile concoction of raging action, abyssal horror, and graveyard humor that has the initiates lining up for more and the fainthearted heading for the hills. Thank you sir, may I have another!

Vol 9:
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a bleeding-edge manga battering ram, an epic fantasy of intense action, unsettling horror and gallows humor that has spawned legions of devoted readers and scores of horrified onlookers. You can’t handle the truth!

Vol 10:
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a smoking manga chainsaw, a sweeping epic of gripping action, ghastly horror, and graveyard humor that has produced an army of fanatical readers and countless shellshocked civilians. Duck and cover!

Just a humble request Mr. Warner, could you slip me this guy's home address, so I can thank him personally for these brilliant descriptions of the series I love and cherish? Thanks in advance!

Seriously though, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of Volume 11. It's one of my favorites :zodd:.

PS: YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

CnC

Ad Oculos
ouch, it actually puts that on the back?

Geez, there's got to be a way to make it more appealing while still making the descriptions of the series actually have anything to to do with the series... :schierke:

I think we can handle the truth...

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
CnC said:
ouch, it actually puts that on the back?

Geez, there's got to be a way to make it more appealing while still making the descriptions of the series actually have anything to to do with the series... :schierke:

I think we can handle the truth...

haha, yeah, that things on the back are pretty pathetic. I have all the DH volumes so far, and some of them have really "hokey" sayings. That "smoking manga chainsaw" and "you can't handle the truth!" are prime examples. another one of my favorites on the back of vol. 6:

Created by Kentaro(<-- yep still spelt wrong) Miura, Berserk is a bloodstained manga juggernaut, equal parts savage violence, gruesome horror, and black humor packed inside a flaming powder keg and rolled downhill into a crowd of terrified civilians. Let the weak-kneed get out of the way, 'cause Berserk ain't about to give up any ground!

I really don't get what that has to do with Berserk. Ahh well, I'm satisfied with the contents of the volumes :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IsolatioN said:
Berserk is a bloodstained manga juggernaut, equal parts savage violence, gruesome horror, and black humor packed inside a flaming powder keg and rolled downhill into a crowd of terrified civilians. Let the weak-kneed get out of the way, 'cause Berserk ain't about to give up any ground!
GOOD CHRIST!!! That certainly beats the ones I listed, hands down.

I'd love to read the rest :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I'll save them the trouble of hiring the same guy to do the next one:

Berserk, created by Kentarou Miyurah, takes no prisoners! Check it! Imagine a world of dark, black humor mixed with an ocean of blood with naked sex! Its berserk. Fool!

...check's in the mail. :badbone:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
GOOD CHRIST!!!  That certainly beats the ones I listed, hands down.

I'd love to read the rest  :guts:

I'll go try to dig them up right now. I remember something about grandma smoking cigars and riding a Harley. :schierke: Yeah, it was that bad.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
ahahaha

I was just reading through the backs of other volumes, and there are some really odd descriptions.. read these (quoted exactly as-is from back of Volume 2)

Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is meat-grinder manga at it's most extreme - gruesome, violent, and darkly funny - and the inspiration for the wildly popular anime series. Look elsewhere if your craving sweetness, subtlety, and good manners. Berserk is the bull in the graphic-novel China shop - and who wouldn't watch a bull getting medieval on the dishes?

now honestly.. Whoever writes these up us a moron. CnC your's sounds on-par with these great descriptions! Oh yeah new favorite btw:
(just a small portion of the back of Vol. 3)
If your looking for graphic fiction to take home to grandma, this ain't it - unless granny smokes cigars and rides a harley!

haha, good stuff.

EDIT: Doh, Handsome Rakshas beat me to it :( well that ones for him :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Someone about to lose their job said:
Look elsewhere if you're craving sweetness, subtlety, and good manners.
Is this guy paid to sell the series or insult it?

IsolatioN said:
now honestly.. Whoever writes these up us a moron.
It goes beyond idiocy. That bull in the China store bit is bordering on the clinically insane.

Terrible... awful... embarassing... Yet, I crave more! :beast:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Alright, here comes the cheese!

Vol.1
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is manga mayhem to the extreme-violent, horrifying, and mercilessly funny- and the wellspring for the internationally popular anime series. Not for the squeamish or the easily offended, Berserk asks for no quarter- and offers none!

Vol.2
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is meat-grinder manga at it's most extreme - gruesome, violent, and darkly funny - and the inspiration for the wildly popular anime series. Look elsewhere if your craving sweetness, subtlety, and good manners. Berserk is the bull in the graphic-novel China shop - and who wouldn't watch a bull getting medieval on the dishes?

Vol.3
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is exactly what its title advertises, a savage, gruesome, and often darkly funny roller- coaster ride, inspiring the internationally popular anime series. If you're looking for graphic fiction to take home to Grandma, this ain't it-unless Granny smokes cigars and rides a Harley!

Vol.4
Created by Kentarou Miura and the inspiration for the wildly popular anime series, Berserk is an unholy hurricane of blood, carnage, and horror! Brutal, crude, and darkly funny, Berserk is not exactly for the theater crowd...unless the theater features pit fights!

Vol.5
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is maniacal manga to the max-relentless, harrowing, and gruesomely funny-and the inspiration for the popular anime series. If you're looking for graphic fiction tied up with a pretty, pink bow, you'd better run for the hills- because Berserk will show you what you can do with that bow!

Vol.6
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a bloodstained manga juggernaut, equal parts savage violence, gruesome horror, and black humor packed inside a flaming powder keg and rolled downhill into a crowd of terrified civilians. Let the weak-kneed get out of the way, 'cause Berserk ain't about to give up any ground!

Vol.7
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is pedal-to-the-metal manga madness, a raging blur of savage action, grisly horror, and dark humor that has inspired legions of rabid fans and rendered aghast hordes of terrified civilians. Duck and cover and look out for flying glass, because Berserk is going ...well, Berserk!

Vol. 8
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is medieval manga mania at its bloodstained best, a volatile concoction of raging action, abyssal horror, and graveyard humor that has the initiates lining up for more and the fainthearted heading for the hills. Thank you sir, may I have another!

Vol. 9
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a bleeding-edge manga battering ram, an epic fantasy of intense action, unsettling horror and gallows humor that has spawned legions of devoted readers and scores of horrified onlookers. You can’t handle the truth!

Vol. 10
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a smoking manga chainsaw, a sweeping epic of gripping action, ghastly horror, and graveyard humor that has produced an army of fanatical readers and countless shellshocked civilians. Duck and cover!

Vol. 11
Created by Kentaro Miura, Berserk is a roaring manga dragster, a grand epic of red-line action, white-knuckle horror, and black hearted humor that has spawned a fervent legion of acolytes driving a host of horrified nonbelievers in their wake. The bell tolls for thee, puny mortal!

Edit: Thanks to Walter or Aaz or both for filling in the missing parts. Makes the list pretty and complete! :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

I do know this tho, if I had no idea what berserk was and read this, I'd have a good chuckle as I put it back on the shelf, and moved on to the next series.

Mike has a point, this would only be appealing to twelve year-olds. They might as well put in the hardcore sex part of my earlier post. That'll move some paper.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
I was thinking the same thing; if I was browsing a store, and I pick up one of the volumes (and didn't know about Berserk of course), I would read the back and just thing "wow sounds really dumb. Must be no real plot/character developtment anywhere, just random violence. I'll pass".

Guess it is trying to hook 12 year olds, yet on every volume there is a sticker saying "Must be 18 or older to purchase". :???:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
They really are descriptions meant to appeal simply to juveniles or those people out there who get off on violent manga (and Berserk isn't even that violent IMO). They mention Miura's "dark" humor but Puck's antics in the first few volumes don't feel like they fall into that category at all (and certainly not later on when he references Japanese pop culture), although some comedic moments certainly do. They're oversimplifying a complicated manga about more than just hacking, slashing and well...you know. :casca: It's very disrespectful to Miura's life's work and I really hope that they don't continue putting those kind of descriptions on the later volumes (although I fear this will probably be the case).

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
well i guess i must be the only one who would still pick that serie up in a shop if i didn't know what it was! i think their summary on their website is waaaayy worse then that small text at the back of the volume.. it's all about the cover guys! at least you know for sure its violent.. and yes i think it is pretty much violent compared to the majority of other manga IMO which is fine with me!

[edit] don't get me wrong either i didn't say that i like the small text on the back but i would still pick the volume by curiosity..

Haven't you ever heard the saying "Don't judge a book by its cover"? In my experience, it holds true. I usually read a bit of it before i buy it, though seeing as most of the copies of berserk i've seen have had plastic covers on them, that pretty much screws that plan over. There is the occasional time where I find one that isnt covered up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom