Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't even allowed to name Skull Knight the proper way so that's a really long shot.

I still think that's fucking BS. Say Knight of Skeleton out loud and you're left with this WTF expression at how dumb it sounds.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
dwarfkicker said:
I still think that's fucking BS. Say Knight of Skeleton out loud and you're left with this WTF expression at how dumb it sounds.

I think everybody here knows that. And I don't think that's how Miura wants it to be either. I even thought about writing him a letter to see if he could take action and put this whole thing to rest. If the guy that decided to mangle it like that could be fired from Hakusensha (or wherever he works at) it'd be good too. Anyway I guess we'll have to wait until SK appears in a future volume and Miura includes a summary with his name in Roman alphabet.

Hello :serpico:

Hey Aazealh what book is it in when slan hurts Guts and he get the Berserk suit. ?

Ps. I don't have any japanese berserk book, just the North American version I'm on 11 right now

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Guts’/Casca said:
Hello :serpico:

Hey Aazealh what book is it in when slan hurts Guts and he get the Berserk suit. ?

Ps. I don't have any japanese berserk book, just the North American version I'm on 11 right now

That would be in Vol. 26, as yet unreleased in America. You've got a long wait ahead, so I recommend picking up the much cheaper Japanese originals and reading the on-line translations (many of which are found in the Berserk Encyclopedia). I may not be Aazealh, but I assure you my information is solid. :carcus:

it was fun reading Volume 11 again, with the accurate translation, although some things were funnier in the scanlation i read. for example, when Wyald ask the girl if members of the BotH had passed by and he notice she starts shaking, he says in DH version: "Hnnn. Before the Hawk hunt... Guess i'll get the juices flowing a bit." while in the scanlation i read he said: "Mm, in front of the Hawk hunters you should display a little more talent." which i thought was much more amusing. but this is nitpick. alot of other stuff sounded better in DH.

and yeah, Knight of Skeleton, wtf?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts’/Casca said:
I wish Dark horse will pick up the speed and release each book faster. :judo:

I don't think they'll ever go faster than bi-monthly, and that's already a good rate to be honest.

Nice, finally getting on with the series now that the release rate is increasing. It's been a bit too familiar story after seeing the anime first and all :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hitokiri said:
In the american manga they revfer to the SK as Kight of Skeleton??? I never noticed...

Have you read the volume in which he's introduced? If so it shouldn't be hard for you to verify it.

Spirit of Ukko

Eclipse darkened the horizon
I was just reading volume 9 (next episode is "Arms of tournamen") and i have to say that i nevert thought that it would be so much different from the anime. First, when Knight of Skeleton (yeah, Skullknight sounds much better) appeared i had thrills going down my spine. It was awesome and then came Griffith+Charlotte and the daughter and father scene... i was shocked (in a good way). Gotta love this series!

Spirit of Ukko

Eclipse darkened the horizon
This might not be the right thread, but i ask anyway. So, I've always been thinking what the small text on volume 5 in the beginning of "Master of Sword, Episode 1" (page is 211) means. It is under second picture and says "special thanks to yago". Anybody know who is Yago and why is he thanked?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Spirit of Ukko said:
It is under second picture and says "special thanks to yago". Anybody know who is Yago and why is he thanked?

It's just somebody Miura wanted to thank, probably because he had helped him with something (like providing a reference for the superb view of Wyndham in the upper panel for example). Please note that it's already in English in the original version. I can't tell you much more other than that; I don't know the details and I don't think anybody else does. There also doesn't seem to be any information about it in the YA the episode was prepublished in (the first of 1993), so it's unlikely you'll ever find a specific answer.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
So, I haven't been collecting the Dark Horse version of the manga because I wasn't too impressed with the first Volume and the crappy editing job that they did... but I randomly bought Volume 11 cheap today and I was really impressed. They added the typical Dark Horse touches, like in BotI, but it didn't deviate too much from the script. I might just go back and buy the volumes I lack.

The original Japanese version comes first though :badbone:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I too was veeery skeptical of DH's work. But I eventually broke down and bought 8-10 and was really impressed. I've been buying them backwards since then. ;D

While there are apparently still a few translation nuances, it's nothing HUGE (at least, in my opinion). It's definitely a new experience for me to be able to read translations literally on the page (not to mention from a reputable source). And even after 5+ years of fan translations, some things just never saw the light of day, volume 11 being a prime example. DH made my dream a reality.

My only real complaint is that sometimes the brightness/contrast is really off on pages. I'm guessing this is because it's not from the original source, but some kind of 2nd generation source. When compared to the japanese editions, there's no contest on which has better image quality. So, that's a shame but apparently it's a necessary sacrifice. I wish I knew the real reason, though... Anyone got any better ideas?

Can't wait for vol 12, coming July 7th :guts:

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
Print quality for every copy of Volume 4 Iv'e seen is apsurdly light.
Griffith's hair becomes invisible, and you can't te;; that Casca's black.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
The biggest gripe I have with the DH releases in the references to Causality as "fate", but other then that and a few minor differences from fan translations that I've read, I think DH has been doing a great job. Well, it's all I own, so I'm pleased with it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom